Kool-Aid Playdough

>> Sunday, August 28, 2011

I've been wanting to make Kool-Aid playdough for quite awhile.  I could only imagine how good it smells!  So yesterday, I finally pulled out the Kool-Aid packets I've been hoarding and only after one trip to the grocery store because I ran out of salt, we had a rainbow-array of playdough!

And it's so easy to make!


What you need: 

1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2 Tbs. cream of tartar
1 packet unsweetened Kool-Aid
1 Tbs. oil
1 cup water

In a medium sauce pan, mix your dry ingredients (flour, salt, cream of tartar, Kool-Aid)


Then add your liquid ingredients and stir.  (Side note:  I used the lemonade mix for yellow and ended up having to add some yellow food coloring to brighten it up a bit.)


Continue to stir over medium heat until dough starts to form a ball


Once you get the ball, dump onto a clean surface and let cool for a minute or two.  (While cooling, make sure you dance around the kitchen singing "Playdough!  Playdough!"  This is a very important, key step in making sure your playdough turns out suitable for little hands!)



Once cooled, knead a few times to make smooth.  (Sorry, didn't get any pictures of this process.  But I think you get the gist of it!)  Once smooth, take a big sniff and swoon over how good this playdough really smells!


I picked up some tupperware containers at the Dollar Tree and they fit perfectly!


And play!!!  What I love about this recipe is that it makes very soft playdough......very easy for little hands to squish and manipulate!





Montessori Monday


The Stuff of Success


Tickled Pink at 504 Main

16 comments:

The Activity Mom August 28, 2011 at 2:49 PM  

You inspired me! =) I saw this this morning and just made my first batch (ever)! It's drying now. thanks so much for sharing.
I also shared this link on my fb page.

MaryAnne August 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM  

I love all the different colors you made!

Natalie PlanetSmarty August 28, 2011 at 6:17 PM  

I think I'll add this activity to our fall list - we do need new playdoh!

Athena September 1, 2011 at 10:18 AM  

Thanks for sharing at www.thestuffofsuccess.com. I love Kool Aid playdough - it is so much better than that horrid smell of regular playdough...

Vicky @ Mess For Less September 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM  

I love making my own play doh but need to try it with Kool aid. You made so many fun, bright colors.

I am a new follower from the Quirky Mama Playtime Link Party. If you have a chance come to http://messforless.blogspot.com and say hi!

Thanks!

maggy, red ted art September 2, 2011 at 1:31 AM  

Mmmmh I can just imagine how wonderful that smelt - isn't smell such an important part of childhood memories? This will certainly form party of that!

Thank you for joining Kids Get Crafty! :-)

Maggy

Anonymous September 2, 2011 at 6:54 AM  

I bet it smells so good! I want to try this out. I bet my son would love it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Does the kool-aid color your hands?

Chestnut Grove Academy September 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM  

Here from living montessori now, following you, hope you'll visit me as well. I have made a different recipe of kool-aid dough and it was so sticky and gross (it was no bake)...I'll have to give this a try! TFS!

Deb Chitwood September 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM  

I think Kool-Aid playdough is a wonderful sensorial experience - and just lots of fun! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. If you could add the Montessori Monday button, that would be awesome! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and on my Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/playdough-craft-recipes/

April's Homemaking September 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM  

This looks wonderful!! Now I want to make some for my niece and nephew,and Sunday School class. I'll have to pick up some Kool-aid, I bet it does smell great. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

The Activity Mom September 29, 2011 at 9:46 AM  

We made it and loved it. I posted about it today with a link back to you. Please feel free to grab the code for the "featured on the Activity Mom" button. =)

MaryAnne January 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM  

Still love how colorful your play dough turned out! Must have smelled amazing, too! Thanks for linking up your top idea for 2011! =)

Unknown January 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM  

I haven't had much luck with homemade playdough! You have inspired me to try it again.

Stopping from the Kid Bloggers Hop!

Taylor January 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM  

we have made kool-aid paint but not playdough! thanks for sharing!

saying Hi from

http://morethanabcand123.blogspot.com/

would love for you to stop by!

happy new year!

Unknown January 3, 2012 at 6:34 AM  

My daughter and I made this when she was young...she's 17 now but we both still remember making this together. Thank you for sharing the recipe, which I had lost. The scent, color and texture of this homemade play dough is soothing and beautiful.

Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids January 3, 2012 at 8:03 AM  

Oh, I love play dough and the kool-aid recipe is wonderful. Smells so good. Thanks for sharing. :) Kristi

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP