Mommy's Time Out

>> Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Well hello everyone! Remember me? I know it's been awhile since I've been here or even reading some of my favorite blogs. And I do apologize for not keeping up with everyone....but I've been in Time Out.

Since my last post, I did some really deep thinking (ok, maybe not so deep, but some thinking nonetheless) and decided to put myself into a self-imposed computer time-out. I found that I was spending way too much time on the computer and not enough time with my girls and my husband. It really hit me when I caught Nani sitting in her room with one of my coffee mugs and her Little Einsteins laptop. I thought - "how cute - she's learning with the Little Einsteins!" I came in and sat next to her and asked her if I could play too. She looked at me with all the seriousness in the world and said - "Not now mommy - I'm checking my email...." and took a sip of water from her coffee mug.

Stab to the heart.......

I went downstairs and turned off the laptop. And then cried.

How many precious minutes did I lose because I had to check my email one last time? How many moments did I miss because I had to check my friends on Facebook? How many giggles did I not hear because I was downloading music to my iPod? And how many times did I say, "In a minute" - when asked "Mommy, will you come outside with me?"

Too many. And I can't get them back.

Nani started school last week. It's her second year of preschool. She only goes twice a day in the morning for 2 1/2 hours. She also started ballet class. She only goes once a week for 45 minutes. On Fridays, we have MOPS. That's every week for 3 hours. When I add that up - that's almost 6 hours a week that she's not with me. The rest of the time with her is mine.

The possibilities of what we could do with that time are endless.....we could take walks, we could play Barbies, we could bake cookies, we could sit on the swing and read books, we could color or paint, we could chase her sister around and I could tickle both of them until they laugh themselves breathless.

There is a balance. I just need to work harder to find it.

10 comments:

Ioana September 8, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

i was wondering where have you been.
but not that you shared the brilliant eye opening you had, well, good for you.
i am proud of you.
and even if i do really like your blog, i mean, hello, it is in my feed reader, i still think you will make the best decision of your life, spending more time with your family.
this post is eye opening for everyone.
i mean, hello, we don't need to check emails and facebook that much. [:D]
there is too many goodies out there that wait to be discovered. go get 'em, girl.
and when you do have time to share them with us, take your time on that, do tell us about new discoveries.
boy, i still can't believe how wise you are. and i read the post a few hours ago.
pheew.
my feed reader is happy to have you as a tenant :)

Helene September 8, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

This post brings tears to my eyes because I'm guilty of the same thing. It's such a good reminder that every minute of the day that we have with our children is a blessing. Today, after lunch, the kids wanted to do some crafts and I told them I'd get them set up and after that I wanted to check my e-mail and get the dishes from lunch cleaned up. I kept getting mad at them every time they'd interrupt me. Now I feel so bad for that....they just wanted my full attention and they shouldn't have to compete with the computer or the household chores. Nothing is that important that it can't wait. Plus, I don't want them to get the message that other things are more important than them and I'm afraid that's the exact message I sent them today.

Finding a balance between spending quality time with them and finding time to do the things I enjoy is difficult. I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish that without completely losing myself in the whole mix.

Helene September 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

Would you mind if I linked to this post on my blog? It really hit home for me and I think others would get a lot out of it as well.

The Four Week Vegan September 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

Wow, that Nani surley gave you a wake-up call. Isn't it amazing how God speaks to us through our children. I'm glad you are in search of balance. It can be a tricky thing to cage. I'll look forward to when you can post and visit, but know when you are not that you are knee deep in a tea party or a really good Dr. Seuss book. Blessings.

Morgan September 10, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

So well said. I feel like this many times. Sometimes it's hard to pull away from the things I want to do. But missing out on those things will only lead to later regret.

When you do find that balance, let me know how you did it.

Morgan September 10, 2009 at 7:36 PM  

Missing out on playing with my kids, I mean.

By the way, I found your blog through Helene's. I look forward to reading your other posts!

Tiffany Lockette September 11, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

I would love to follow your blog but I can't find the option to do so on your blog. Your girls are too cute. I have a 13 month old named Zoe who I truly adore.

Susan September 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM  

Guilty at times here also. I have cut back and just go on when the kids are in bed or now, school.

You just get caught up and you dont realize it until it hits you like a ton of bricks.

Hope all is well.
susan

Jillian September 13, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

Oh, that is why I have been M.I.A. too!! I have been busy and when I am home with her I want to spend time with her! It is hard because I love this blog world too!!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments September 16, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

Oh! this is why I seem to be in perpetual "catch up" mode when it comes t blof reading and why although I still try to read all the posts, i am trying not to comment on every one I read!

My "babies" are all grown and in college. but I am determined to not be on the computer when my hubby is home (unless he happens to be watching UFC or something like that).

But...with that said...yes, I still am finding the right balance between all that needs to be done and blogging for pleasure.

Blessings & aloha!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP