Please Don't Make Me Think!

>> Tuesday, April 27, 2010


I've been taking a bit of a blogging break.  I've got a big month of Blog Birthday celebrations coming up and I needed some time to gather my thoughts.  My brain is on overload.  I've got so many things swirling around up there, something is bound to leak out.  Things like feeding my family, bathing, showering, my name. 


But this isn't a case of Momnesia.  Not by a long-shot.  It's a case of wanting to do too much and then becoming so overwhelmed that you just give up and spend the day on the couch watching daytime television while the kids aimlessly play, feeding each other goldfish, and occasionally bringing mommy a fresh cup of coffee.  (No, not really -- but oh God, do I wish!)


I find that I have a personality disorder.  I am both an overachiever and an underachiever/procrastinator.  I find that lately I've been regularly volunteering to do things and then regretting it later.  It could be the people-pleaser in me not wanting to say no.  I'm spreading myself thin.

Then, I find myself being sucked into the black hole of blog-browsing. 


You know what I'm talking about.  You find a blog, you read it.  Something catches your eye in the blog roll.  You click on that.  Rinse and repeat about 6 times and then you don't remember what you were reading in the first place.  But you now have 12 new blogs you're following and at least 20 new crafts/projects/recipes that you want to try, 30 giveaways to enter, 15 new books to read and not to mention the blogs YOU want to write because you became inspired by someone else.

I've now got a a closet of scrapbooking and cross-stitch supplies.  And a box of random supplies for projects I want to do. 

A laundry room full of craft supplies.  A basket full of idea books.  Websites bookmarked.  Pages of things printed out.  All for things I want to do with Nani and Nudgie.

Cookbooks highlighted and pages marked for recipes I want to try.

Add to that my responsibilities as a MOPS table leader, a recent opportunity to consider taking over our unit's FRG, Nani's preschool activities, her upcoming dance recital, My Marine's upcoming trips, and visits from my mother-in-law and my parents.

Do you see it?  Do you see the glazed look in my eyes and my brain oozing out of my ears?  It's no wonder I feel like this:


The "To-Do List" has stopped being effective for me.  Because now it has taken over my life.  Everything is a priority.  I end up filling the page with numbered items -- maybe marking off two or three at the end of the day.



It really is a sickness I tell you.  So tell me loyal readers -- how do you deal with brain overload?  (Other than liquid therapy!)

15 comments:

Kel April 27, 2010 at 6:11 AM  

I'm honestly going through the same thing right now. I find that when I put too much on my plate I tend to procrastinate more.

Mayhem and Moxie April 27, 2010 at 6:18 AM  

Oh, my darling friend, I am right there with you. Each night at dinner, I tell my husband that I am ready to give up blogging completely. I'm done, I'm threw! I need to simplify my life. Yet, here I sit, reading and stalking blogs. I guess it is a bit of a compulsion.

In the end, I've decided I am just going to try to limit the time I dedicate to being on-line. Baby steps, you know!

xo

-Francesca

Dina April 27, 2010 at 6:32 AM  

jen i am exactly like you! I totally feel your pain, liquid does help...lol

Truthful Mommy April 27, 2010 at 7:04 AM  

LOL! HEY, how did you get my exact life? I am the list queen and it gets so overwhelming that sometimes, its just too much. SO, I let go. The only way to keep a firm grasp is to let go. You know your priorities: Your girls and your hubby, the rest can fall to the way side if need be:) Hope it gets easier.
On another note...I think you are pretty awesome and you have an award waiting at my blog (http://motherhoodthetruth.blogspot.com/2010/04/im-hardcore.html)!You are a phenomenal Mom,wife, and blogger!Happy Mothering!

Sassy Salsa girl April 27, 2010 at 7:20 AM  

Wow, you just described me! Lol! I have no idea how to deal with it, if I did you wouldn't have just described me ;D

Charity April 27, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

I think we were cut from the same mold, I am the exact same way! I hate it!!

Kara Kneeppel April 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

You are living my life. I'm sorry you are so overwhelmed. Though I am happy to know I'm not the only one who looks like that polar bear. I feel like I'm teetering on the edge of the cliff everyday. Hugs to you! xoxo

Kara K.

Mozi Esme April 27, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

Oh boy oh boy - can I relate! I've just decided to take the day off and forget about lists today - but I'm feeling awfully guilty about it!

One Photo April 27, 2010 at 11:52 AM  

Hi Jen - as you know I have only been blogging for two months but already it feels like I have at least a part time job on board in addition to everything else. It really can all seem like too much, but as my blog is the first thing I have done for me, myself, I in over three years since my daughter was born I am sticking with it. It's a question of balance yes, and deciding what are the things you really want to do and in which case what other things you can do without. I tell myself that I will be a better mother for having an interest other than my daughter and I really do feel better about life.

You have a lot on your plate - much more than I do, so I understand the feelings you are having.

Little Bishops April 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

I'm a little late in the game...finally catching up from Friday Follow. i'm your newest follower. Have a great day!

Pria April 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

thanks for the FF ..i hope m not too late in returning the bloggy love ..
and i completely agree with you on the blog browsing bit ..guess u do deserve a break ..watch a couple of hilarious movies and catch up wid ol friends ..thats def my sure shot way of unwinding ..
Cheers

Helene April 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

Liquid therapy!! I love that term!!

Girlfriend, I'm so right there with you! I've sworn to taking the weekends off when it comes to blogging and then by Monday morning, I actually groan at the thought of having to get back at it again. Then it occurs to me that I don't HAVE to do it. So then I step away for a few more days until I WANT to do it. I have slowed down quite a bit and I've had a hard time keeping up, to be honest.

I like that you make lists...I do that, too. There's something wonderful about seeing all the things being crossed off one at a time!

Just keep plugging away and getting stuff done...it'll all come together. It's all about balance, remember!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty April 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

Well, add the full time job to almost all of the above, and you can have what I am having :) I still think of blogging as my "escape of reality", but I am trying to limit blog hopping as much as I can. And I already decided that I will never be a supermom - I will focus on things that I like to do and what my daughter wants to do. This gave me some sanity back :) Happy bloggiversary, by the way!

Katie April 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

Sometimes when I read your posts I think we must be cloned versions of each other! "I am both an overachiever and an underachiever/procrastinator" Totally Me Too! Only I think after a bit of blog hopping I have 30 new things bookmarked☺ I have so many things I just "have to do" from reading blogs I get seriously stressed out. Then I think I can never been as cool, creative, or original so maybe I'll just sit on the couch and eat some chips and salsa. On the plus side, I HAVE started to figure out I need to seriously edit and think about the volunteer commitments I make. Turns out saying no to be the preschool board's secretary next year was way easy. You should try it too and join the no club.

PS: Seriously freaked out in the car on the ride home from the mall with ER today. She was SO ANNOYING!!! Then felt bad the whole way home. Then saw Tuesday's post. Hon we ALL have those days.

Martha Eskuchen May 2, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

I can relate! In college I always got better organized the busier I got. That doesn't seem to be working right now! The blogging is sucking up time... but its sort of like visiting with friends so I justify it!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP