Getting To Know Me - #1

>> Friday, June 4, 2010


At the beginning of May, I gave you all the opportunity to ask me questions which I promised I would answer in an interview.  As a bribe - I even offered a Starbucks card!  Either you all wanted that Starbucks card really badly or you really, really wanted to know more about me.  (Personally, I'm going with you all wanted the Starbucks card!)

Anyway - the response was overwhelming and rather than inundate you with all the questions, I will be splitting up my interviews over the next few weeks!

So - on to interview #1!!

*****************************************

Merri Ann over at My Live As A MoM Over 40 asked "Will you be reposting your very first post?

Actually, I already did repost my very first post shortly before my MIL's visit.  If you missed it, you can read it here.

*****************************************

Sandy over at Pardon My Dust asked "What did you want to be when you grew up?"

This one was pretty easy.  I never had a goal to be a "career woman".  I thought of things like a nurse, or a teacher.  But my heart was always at home.  I knew that I always wanted to be a wife and mother.  The happiest day of my life was the day that I quit my job when I was pregnant with Nani and never looked back.

*****************************************

Which brings me to the next question asked by Bethany over at Monson Photography asked "What did you do in the "corporate world?""

I had a couple of jobs in the "corporate world".  I started off as an Administrative Assistant for the Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs and then moved up to planning their continuing education programs.  When I moved to Washington DC when I got married, I worked in the State Services Department of the American Pharmaceutical Association.  Basically I was the liaison between our office and all the state associations.  After working there for around 2 years, I was "recruited" by the education department and helped develop continuing education programs that helped to train pharmacists to counsel patients on diabetes, asthma, and hypertension.  We also developed the CE program that trained pharmacists on how to deliver immunizations (flu, etc.)  I left that company in 2000 and did a short stint with the American Chamber of Commerce Executives in their education department, as well as helping out with their annual convention.  I was offered an opportunity to work with a friend as an independent meeting planner and I jumped at the opportunity.  I did that for about 3 years before I got pregnant and had to "retire" from meeting planning.

*****************************************

Jane over at Aging Mommy asked "Are you going to get your Dad to do a guest post series?"

Believe me, I'm trying!  He says no, but I think if I sweet talk him a bit, I might be able to get him to answer a few questions!

*****************************************

Kimbo over at A Girl and A Glue Gun asked "Why did you start blogging"

You know...to tell you the truth, I'm not really sure.  I got hooked on reading blogs probably about a month or two before I started writing.  My dad always told me that I should write (this coming from the man who threatened to disown me when I changed my major from computer science to psychology in college!) and I had some friends encourage me as well.  After reading some other blogs out there, I thought, why not?  I enjoyed journaling and would find myself chuckling at some stuff I've written.  I discovered that by reading some other mommy blogs and military spouse blogs that I'm going through some of the same things you all are.  So why not share my experiences, funny stories, frustrations as well. 

Hence, The Toy Box Years was born!

Blogging has become an incredible outlet for me and it's now something that I feel a need to do.  I have met so many incredibly wonderful people out there and have been touched by so many stories of overcoming hardship, personal tragedy, and joy.  I've gotten great recipes, craft ideas, and book recommendations.  And best thing of all -- it's cheaper than therapy!

*****************************************


So, there it is folks!  The first edition of "Getting To Know Me"!  Check back next Friday for the next installment!

And thanks for being such great supporters, followers, and commenters!




I'm participating in the Social Parade Follower Friday Blog Hop over at Smart and Trendy Moms
Smart and Trendy Moms

25 comments:

Michelle June 4, 2010 at 5:35 AM  

Hi! I'm your newest follower from New Friend Friday. I love it when I stumble on military wives' blogs..I'm an Army wife. :o)

Hope you'll consider stopping by and following me, too @ http://cookathome2010.blogspot.com/

Erin Wallace June 4, 2010 at 6:12 AM  

Following you, please stop by and follow mw! Can't wait to read more!

xo Erin

Kristin June 4, 2010 at 6:22 AM  

Hi. Following you via Friendly Friday :)! Happy Friday! www.reviewedbymom.blogspot.com.

Dina June 4, 2010 at 6:28 AM  

that is such a great idea! I'm gonna steal it!

joeandbridge June 4, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

Hi! Happy Friday Follow! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I agree with Dina, great idea and I'm gonna steal it too!

Bridgette
Groschen Goblins

Bree, Home of Blogmania June 4, 2010 at 7:32 AM  

I am not a military wife but sometimes I may still be called a navy brat :)- now that I am old, I mean, all grown up I appreciate the posts by wife's, I see more of who things really were for my mom. Thanks for hopping around with us! www.breebee.com, following!

Ron Cooper June 4, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

Hi Jennifer,

I’m following you now on Friendly Follow Friday! Please follow me back on my blog “Inspire!”

My latest inspirational postings are, “The Power,” “The Triumphant Heart,” “Pure Love,” “Peace of Mind,” and “Simple Gesture.”

Ron

http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

Mandy June 4, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :) I bought the cookie cutter from Ebay && I also got these adorable SUPPORT our TROOPS cupcake picks! I'll take pictures later tonight of the cupcakes so you can see!!!

xoxo

Jacque June 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

I love the idea for this post! Maybe I'll borrow it for when I reach 100 followers! :) I'm a new follower. Look forward to reading more!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Erica K June 4, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

hello follow friday

Love the picture in your banner

http://bassgiraffe.blogspot.com/2010/06/link-up-fridays.html

Vintage Remixed June 4, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

Thanks for following my blog and dropping by today. I'm look to look to the follow button on your blog. Have a great weekend!

Julia June 4, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

I am already following.. just wanted to say thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend :)

http://julia-livelovelaugh.blogspot.com/

Susan Freeman June 4, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for the lovely jewelry set!! I was so excited to open the package and I love all three pieces. You are such a sweety! I posted them on my blog today. Have a great weekend!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

♥ LLL with Leslie ♥ June 4, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

I am glad to of found your blog. I am your newest follower. I am visiting you from friendly friday :)

Please return the favor & follow me back...

www.livelovelaughwithleslie.com

Robin @ Blommi June 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM  

Nice to meet you.

I am now following your nifty blog, from Friendly Friday :)
http://blommi.com

One Photo June 4, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

Hi Jennifer - I do hope you persuade your Dad to do a guest spot, tell him he already has a fan :-)

Nice to learn a little more about you, you had an interesting career I have to say.

Kelli June 4, 2010 at 2:20 PM  

Following you from Friendly Friday! Love the get to know me post!
Check out my blog and follow back! Have a great weekend!
http://happilyfrugalmom.blogspot.com/

Christi @ The Frugal Novice June 4, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

I love your interview! I never had aspirations to be a big "career woman" either. I do work outside the home, but being with my family is much more important me than climbing the corporate ladder. Anyway, I got off on a tangent - thanks SO much for being a part of Friendly Friday! I'm now following you back through GFC.

trooppetrie June 4, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

following you back. I love meeting other military wives

Kathryn June 4, 2010 at 4:38 PM  

"Hi there!
New follower from the Faith Deployed FB page!
I loved this letter to yourself. Very profound! And congrats on your pregnancy!!"

Thanks for stopping by! :) Thanks it was fun to write, and yes, we are so excited for my baby, he is due any day now! :)

The Four Week Vegan June 4, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

That is the best reason to retire for sure :)

Mama Hen June 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

Hopping by! I am new to your blog and have become a follower! I look forward to reading your blog! Come visit me at Mama's Little Chick.

Mama Hen
www.mamaslittlechick.com

Anonymous June 4, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

Hi,
Thank-you for the follow.
I am following you now too.
Have a great weekend.
http://misc-oceansky.blogspot.com

Jenna June 4, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you could follow me back at www.momsbalancingact.com

Have a great weekend!

Java June 4, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

I'm already following too!! Love coming over here!!

Thanks for the congrats!

Have a great weekend!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP