Summer Recap - Nudgie Turns 2

>> Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I've been really bad about keeping up-to-date over the summer. I've got all the pictures and the words were in my head, but I just never got around to writing. So each week, I'm going to do a summer recap of things we did over the summer! I suppose it's a last gasp attempt to hold on to the last days of summer!

*******************************************
On July 18th, my baby - Nudgie - turned 2! I could hardly believe it. It seemed just like yesterday when I was bringing her home from the hospital, snuggling with her late at night after a feeding, and watching endless DVD episodes of CSI on the portable DVD player we put in her room so I could keep my mind alert while nursing!

How can my little angel be two already??


We had a small party here at home with the folks from My Marine's unit. Nudgie's birthday party also served a dual purpose in that it gave us as a unit to get together and hang out for an evening! My mom was also in town and helped a lot with party preparations -- for which I am forever grateful!

I originally wanted to do a Candyland theme for Nudgie's birthday, but dragged my feet on getting everything together. So in the end - we went with Cookie Monster -- Nudgie's favorite! I decided to make my own cake with marshmallow fondant icing -- the first time I've ever made it.

It was sticky.....


And messy....


And a pain in the ass....


But in the end - it was worth it.....


I was incredibly happy with the way it turned out and was so proud of myself for even trying this in the first place!


I even made up a batch of Cookie Monster cupcakes that ended up invading our fridge!


I even put my mom to work rolling little fondant Cookie Monster eyeballs....



But in the end, all that mattered was that Nudgie was happy!



11 comments:

Melissa N. September 3, 2010 at 4:35 AM  

WOW that is exciting and a great job done! I would love to get the recipe for that icing please. I hope your Summer was fantastic!

Melis
http://just-starting-out.blogspot.com/

Melanie September 3, 2010 at 5:58 AM  

What a cute birthday cake, and cupcakes to go along with it too! I bet your little angel had an AWESOME birthday! :)

Sara September 3, 2010 at 6:37 AM  

That cake is SO incredibly cute! Awesome job!

Kathryn September 3, 2010 at 7:06 AM  

Hi! Stopping by from Follow Me Chickadee! Love your cookie monsters, sooo cute!

B September 3, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

WOW! That's fantastic! I'm doing an Elmer the Elephant themed first birthday party for my little one in December, and welcome any tips for working with fondant!!! Great job, mama!

I'm a new follower from Follow Me, Chickadee :)

Darcy September 3, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Jen, those are wonderful looking!! What a cute shirt she had too...did you make it? Was it Cookie faces on it? Great job!! Love to see your craftiness! Thanks so much for always sharing!
(I still have to make the treat jar...thinking it would make a great Christmas present-lol)

Candace September 3, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

This is absolutely the cutest cake and cupcakes I've ever seen!! Can you post the recipe or a tutorial??? I love it!!!

~Dawn~ September 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

Wow, this cake would make the CAKE BOSS jealous!! (Have you seen that show on TLC?) You are such a sweet Mama to go through the lengths in making such an adorable cake AND cupcakes for your little one.

Dawn @ Mom-a-Logues

P.S. My daughter's have birthday's coming up in October..I could use your cake making services..lol

Sara September 3, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Those are FANTASTIC... great job! Def. perfect for a 2 year-old birthday.

Alisha K September 3, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Hello I am a new follower from BMBF. I would love a follow back at http://megankayden.blogspot.com/

Julia September 6, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

Aw, how sweet! I love those cupcakes.. too cute! Her birthday is so close to Jalyn's.. her's is the 13th :)

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP