New Year and New Goals

>> Friday, December 31, 2010

It can't be happening!  The holidays are already over and the year is coming to a close.  December flew by in the blink of an eye -- birthdays to celebrate (Nani's and mine), school activities, decorating, Christmas parties, and so much more.  I literally felt like I just woke up and it was all over.  And to add to the touch of the holiday blues, I never did like the time between Christmas and New Year's.  It just always seems like such a downer after all the preparations and activities leading up to Christmas. 

And now it's here.  In just a few hours, the door will close on 2010 and a new door will open on 2011.  Who knows what the New Year will bring.  I feel like I'm looking down a road where you can only see a little bit ahead of you -- but further on, you don't know if there's a hard curve, a steep hill to climb, a sharp descent.  All you can do is hang on and have faith that however your road is paved, God will be there to help you drive.

So with that in mind, I've made resolutions and goals in the past -- and failed miserably -- usually within the month of setting the goals.  I start off with good intentions, I really do.  But then, that little devil starts whispering, "Why bother trying because you'll just fail anyway."  I believe that -- and I quit.  And to be honest -- the only things I've probably ever finished from start to finish are my pregnancies!  I'm that bad of a procrastinator!

But those of you who have been reading me, know that I'm a big fan of Mama Smiles and her fabulous idea of setting monthly goals.  I've been doing this since around October and found that it's really been a good thing for me - small, manageable goals that I can achieve!  Love, love, love her!!!

And thanks to her, I was inspired to create my own categories that I try to touch on each month.  I've listed them at the end of this blog.
 
So, here's a review of our December goals and my goals for January!

**************************************************  

Goals for December: 
Take the girls to donate toys to Toys for Tots.  Explain the importance of sharing with those less fortunate - Gratitude, Charity - (My Marine took Nani to a local drop-off with a large box full of toys.  He said that she was thrilled to do it and talked about how the toys were going to go to another little girl who didn't have any toys.)

Continue to have family time at dinner at least 3x a week - Gratitude, Faith, Family - (This is really becoming a great thing for our family.  Nani is learning to set and clear the table and she says Grace before every meal.  It gives us an opportunity to talk about our day!)

Prayer time and reflection - Faith, Community, Family - (We spent the month working activities for our Advent Calendar, reading Bible stories and Nativity stories.  We attended church as a family on Christmas Eve)

Continue to make Christmas gifts for friends and family - Community, Family, Creativity - (This was a biggie and was accomplished.  I think everyone liked the gifts they got!)

Keep my chaos at home organized, try to stay on track with chores - Homemaking, Family - (This one was a big FAIL!  With the chaos of the season, my scheduled chores got way off track, but the house was still clean!)

Remember to enjoy the Reason for the Season and not overschedule with activities and plans - Gratitude, Faith, Family, Community, Charity - (We kept our commitments limited)

**************************************************

January Goals:

Declutter and organize laundry room and family room closet (where I store my crafts, eBay items, Nudgie's learning activities) - Homemaking

Plan a date night with hubby (whether it's a night out or a night in) - Family

List new items on eBay and put earnings into savings for our summer vacation; Make a notebook of savings & debts; Stay out of craft stores! - Finance

Organize learning schedule and activities for Nudgie.  Plan afternoon activities and crafts for both girls.  Work on any outstanding craft projects that I have - Family, Creativity

Commit to Bible study group that I have joined.  Attend church services when I can. - Faith



 I'm also joining up with my friend Semalee at her blog - Nailing Jello to a Tree.  She's starting off the New Year with a campaign to "Make Our Homes Like Heaven in 2011"  If you get a chance, stop by her blog and link up your goals for 2011 and join me!



So do you have goals for 2011?  Come link them up with Mama Smiles and Nailing Jello to a Tree!

**************************************************

Goal/Categories:
  • Health: Planning healthier meals for my family, getting more exercise.
  • Family: Planning family time, eating dinner together, keeping in touch with extended family.
  • Community: Spending time with friends, honoring volunteer committments.
  • Gratitude: Making time to focus on what we have and to be thankful as well as reaching out to others
  • Charity: Reaching out to others less fortunate, sharing what we have with others.
  • Faith: Attending church services, praying for others and my family, regular quiet time with God.
  • Creativity: Encourage my children (and myself) to indulge in our creative side.
  • Homemaking: Remember to try to keep my home peaceful, organized and a welcoming place for friends
For 2011, I'm also adding a new category for finances. In this category, I will attempt to track spending, stick to a budget, pay down some debt, and build an emergency fund. (Pray for me on this one!)

5 comments:

MaryAnne December 31, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

Staying out of craft stores does wonders for my finances! You have great goals. I'm trying to get more organized with activities for my kids, too, so if you get any great insights I would love to hear them! Planned dates are great, too - held at home or out and about!

Thanks for linking up! =)

Tracey M. January 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM  

I really like this idea and the categories from Mama Smiles. Thanks for sharing it. I plan on taking some time to do this. I'm have some writer's block lately in trying to do a year-end/new-year post so this will help me focus.

Semalee January 4, 2011 at 2:53 PM  

thanks for linking up! I'm so excited about starting our series and thrilled you'll be doing it with me :)

Semalee @ Nailing Jello to a Tree

Tracey M. January 4, 2011 at 8:05 PM  

I loved your post so much that I blogged about it and added a link to your blog! Thanks for sharing.

Natalie PlanetSmarty January 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM  

Happy New Year! I hope you will reach all your goals for this year!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP