Yarn Heart Craft - FAIL (sort of)

>> Tuesday, February 15, 2011

This past weekend, we tried to make the yarn heart craft that I saw in Family Fun magazine.

Personally, it was an ok craft.  I wasn't a big fan of the cornstarch glue.  For me, it came out really lumpy and just didn't seem right.



So, after some adjustments, we had a solution that seemed sticky enough to try this craft.

I used two small heart cookie cutters and one big one.



The girls had fun doing it - so I guess that's all that mattered.







In the end, they came out ok.  But if I were to do this craft again, I'd do the following:

1.  Use liquid starch instead of the cornstarch glue they have in the recipe.  It just never worked for me and I ended up adding some glue to the mix to help the yarn stick together.

2.  Not use the large heart cookie cutter.  Between the glue mixture not working and the cutter being a bit too big, the yarn just never hardened and the heart just fell apart when we picked it up.  The smaller cookie cutters worked really well.

Bottom line - out of 5 stars, I gave this craft only 2.

8 comments:

Annette W. February 15, 2011 at 5:55 AM  

I posted about our failed attempt too!!! haha

Anonymous February 15, 2011 at 6:06 AM  

As long as they had fun that'sall that matters! That looks too complicated even for me though! I'm horrible at yarn crafts

Mass Hole Mommy February 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM  

You are a way better woman than I am. I hate messy stuff like that and I hate sticking my fingers into it. Yuck.

MaryAnne February 15, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

How frustrating. Good to know the cornstarch glue doesn't really work - your idea of just using liquid starch sounds like the way to go!

Michelle February 15, 2011 at 4:29 PM  

That is funny I did this with Emily and loved it! I did have to add a lot more warm water to the glue so it was not lumpy. I actually liked the corn starch glue better than using regular school glue. After trying it I thought that liquid starch would probably be easier too. My church used to sell crocheted ornaments that were starched and that is what these made me think of.

At least the girls had fun...that is definitely what matters :0)

Anonymous February 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM  

Ew, that glue looks pretty gross. At least they enjoyed it! Having fun is always better than the finished product (unless you have kids that cry when the project falls apart...that stinks)!

It's Grace February 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM  

You just don't know until you try, right? You are such a nice Mommy! Gooey glue and glittery stuff drives me crazy. I'll have to check out Family Fun for some other ideas, that is a great magazine.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments February 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

I love that you had a photo of the three of you during your craft making... Your girls are adorable!

Blessings & Aloha!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP