Dollar Tree Placemats

>> Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Awhile back I found a cute placemat for Nani.  It was in the shape of a castle and had outlines of how to set the table.  Pretty cute.  But it was foam and there was no easy way to clean off the food particles that would become caked on. 

So I thought I'd make my own.



From the Dollar Tree, I picked up these cute felt Princess crowns in the craft section.  The tag said they were wall hangings, but for me, they were perfect for my placemat idea.  Once I got home, I dug through my craft supply and found the oversized foam sheets that I needed.  I used white to offset the purple princess crowns.

I glued the crowns on to the foam sheets.  That was the easy part.

I had to have My Marine help me with the next part - which was covering the whole thing with contact paper.  I hate working with contact paper.  It just never works out for me - it gets all wrinkly and sticks to everything.  So I was hoping by having an extra set of hands, it would make it a little easier.....and I was right.  Plus My Marine was a good sport with helping me out!

Laminate, smooth, and then set the table!


Total cost?

Foam sheets - already on hand
Contact paper - already on hand
Felt Princess crowns - $2

Not bad!  AND they are easy to wipe off spills!

7 comments:

Christy Killoran May 10, 2011 at 6:08 AM  

Cute! I used to have a lot of trouble with contact paper, but we use it so much now that I have kind of figured it out. I still get the occasional wrinkle, but not often.

Anonymous May 10, 2011 at 6:17 AM  

Awesome! I finally invested in a lamination machine from Sams a few weeks back. I am soooo happy I did. Hopefully you'll get to at some point. Mine will do up to a file folder size - I know this because I have been making file folder games out the wazoo with it!!

MaryAnne May 10, 2011 at 7:45 AM  

Super cute! My trick with contact paper is to uncover no more than an inch at a time. Still a pain to work with, though! It looks like you and your Marine worked together to get it perfect!

Anonymous May 10, 2011 at 6:29 PM  

How cute and crafty! Great job :)

Alyssa @ Frugal Stepmom May 19, 2011 at 7:03 AM  

Super Cute! I have not used contact paper since I papered the pantry shelves... We had a falling out after that, hah!

Rebecca May 19, 2011 at 8:05 AM  

Laminate paper is a thorn in my side too. Your place mats are cute!

Pamela June 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM  

What a neat idea. I saw those crowns and wondered what I could do with them. Now I know. :-)

I'm a new GFC follower from Sew Can Do.

Blessings,
Pamela

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP