Murphy's Law - Military Style.....

>> Sunday, June 19, 2011

Murphy's Law rules in my home - especially when it's time for My Marine to deploy or go TDY (for those non-military that "temporary duty").  Usually, "Murphy's Law" takes the form of sickness - me, the kids, or occasionally all of us at once.  But this time around......boy.....Mr. Murphy really took it's hold.  Where should I begin....

Oh yeah...how about with the vacuum cleaner catching fire?  If you look closely, you can see the scortch marks on the inside of the canister.  This prompted a trip to Target to replace said fire trap.


Then there was the swing collapsing, sucking me in between the cushions, causing me to flail like a turtle on my back while I tried to free myself from the jaws of the deadly furniture foam.


This was followed just hours later by our deck door falling off the tracks and on top of my head.


Did I also mention that this all happened within the first 48 hours of My Marine being gone?

Week Two brought:

A flat tire on My Marine's car.  So flat that I can't even drive it to the gas station to fill it up.  So it's sitting in it's parking spot until he comes home.


Followed by the leaking dishwasher.  Funny thing about this one though.  The dishwasher makes it through a complete wash cycle but when it comes to the final rinse, THAT'S when it starts to leak.  So, I've stopped using the dishwasher and have prepared for future leaks like I'm waiting for the Mighty Mississippi to over flow. 

Not using the dishwasher has prompted Nani to believe that we are living in the age of "Little House on the Prairie" (which we watch every day).  Her comment to me was, "Mommy, you're doing dishes just like on Little House on the Prairie."  Prompting me to toss her a dish sponge and say, "Yes, and on LHOTP, the girls did the dishes....now get hot....."


Oh, and in between all this, the dog ate her way through half a bag of dog food and a can of trash and Nudgie decided to use a glue stick as Chap Stick.

But, my dear friends, the coup de grace was the sprinklers in our backyard.  We don't have inground sprinklers.  Instead, we have a complex maze of hoses and sprinkler heads which require removal before mowing.  Not a big deal.......until you try to put them back.  It took me 3 days and 7 changes of clothes before I had something worthy of not killing the lawn with drought.

Until I went out to check them one night and found this.....


Why take a family vacation this summer when I have Old Faithful in my own backyard??!!  Turns out that the sprinkler head somehow broke off and proceeded to suck all the water out of the rest of the sprinklers resulting in this beautiful water display comparable to the jumping waters at Disney.


And I still have a little over a week to go before My Marine comes home.  I'm praying the worst is behind us!  But to be safe, I'm saying Novenas every night!

6 comments:

StephieD June 20, 2011 at 5:16 AM  

Oh Murphy's Law... How I hate it!! I hope your head is ok! That sounds painful!
When my husband went to Honduras 2 years ago for a little over a month, I found out I was pregnant with Monster, was horribly sick every day, our apartment was broken into, we lost a battle buddy in Iraq, and our vacuum set fire too... But at the plug that was set in the wall so I burned myself trying to unplug it. We now live in a house with no carpet! lol
It will get better I promise! I hope this week goes much more smoothly!!!

MaryAnne June 20, 2011 at 6:40 AM  

Oh my!!! I hope this week doesn't bring any more trouble!

Mel June 20, 2011 at 7:32 AM  

Isn't that Murphy just a pesk? Why does he always come to dinner when you don't have the extra place setting? Ha.

Hope things get straightened out soon!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments June 20, 2011 at 7:35 AM  

Oh my!!! Murphy better get a-packin and move on out! You definitely had more than your fair share of "his nonsense"! Your sense of humor shows through though...keep on smiiling!

Ouch on Nudgie's choice of chapstick!

Blessings & Aloha!
...unexpectedly, I dont have to be in at work until the afternoon today...so catching up on some blog reading :o)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun June 20, 2011 at 4:15 PM  

Yikes! I say you have had your quota of trouble for the week and then some!!! Hope things turn around quickly!

Mass Hole Mommy June 21, 2011 at 4:54 AM  

I hate murphy! Can you call AAA to pump up that tire?

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP