Another Casualty of War....Another Friend Gone.....

>> Friday, January 20, 2012

Today started off like any other.  I sent My Marine to work with a kiss and our ritual "be careful".  I got a shower.  I got my girls dressed and fed breakfast.  I had the news on.  In the background I hear about a helicopter crash in Afghanistan....and for a moment my heart seizes as I flashback almost immediately to this past summer and the loss in our Battalion.

I think...Dear God, please not again.

But then I hear that it was the Marines that were involved and I say a quick prayer for the families and all on board -- and then another prayer of thanks that it was not us.

Until I got on my laptop and saw an instant message on FB from my friend DeAnne.  Her husband and my husband served in the Marines together with HMX.  DeAnne was the one that broke the news to me that we lost a friend in that crash.

And all I could think of was 1) Does My Marine know and 2) Dear God, please not again.....

I immediately ran upstairs and called My Marine at work.  He already knew.  He'd been on the phones with other brother Marines trying to piece together what happened.  I could hear the pain and disbelief in his voice - and that's when I started to cry.

And I haven't stopped.

I had to drop Nani off at school and run some errands.  I called My Marine on my way to the base.  I needed to see him.  I needed to hug him.  I just needed him.  But he was in a class and couldn't be interrupted.  I just sent him a simple text.

"I love you..."

After I got home, I got nothing done.  I'd been glued to my laptop chatting online with other HMX wives...expressing our sadness and disbelief.  Trying to come together so that we can be strong and supportive for our husbands -- who are all feeling such a deep loss.

I was chatting with DeAnne and mentioned that it seemed so wrong that people were going about their every day lives.  I know life goes on....but I just wanted to say to just one person, "Do you know what happened ?  Do you realize that 10+ family's lives are changed forever?"  While I was chatting, I saw a friend post that the top headline on Yahoo news was that Jessica Alba changed her outfits 4 times in one day. 

I lost my mind.  Who the fuck cares?????  Please excuse me while I let my bitterness seep through for a moment.  I know that we've all been guilty of becoming numb and indulging in petty news stories such as Jessica Alba's massive wardrobe.

But for a moment....I ask you to tear yourself away from that to look at this photo:


This is the face of a friend, Travis Riddick, that we lost -- and his beautiful wife, Jennifer.

Instead of reading about the latest Kardashian debacle or the latest Hollywood divorce, take a moment to say a prayer for Travis's family - his wife, his 11-yr. old daughter, his mom and dad, and his brothers - one who was his twin.  Take a moment to pray for the families of the other Marines and passengers ond that helicopter.  And then take another minute to tell those you love that you love them.

And me?  I'll continue to move forward like I always do.

Semper Fi Travis.  Fly with the angels......

4 comments:

Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids January 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM  

My thoughts and prayers to the families who have lost their beloved husbands, fathers, sons, brothers. Kristi

MaryAnne January 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM  

I am so sorry. My prayers are with this marine's family - and yours and your friends, as you cope.

This is a loss for all, military or civilian.

Dawn January 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM  

I'm so sorry for your loss. I felt the same pang of wonder that the world didn't stop last week when we lost a cousin. It is so heavy when something like this happens that it seems like the everything should stop being normal and realize that life will never be normal again for those families.

Sadly, life doesn't stop but for a time you do. For a time those who love you stop and notice that there are things going on so much more important than Hollywood debacles.

Please let his wife Jennifer know that I am praying for her and all of their family tonight. Please let your Marine know that I hurt for his loss. My prayers are going out to each and every one of you whose lives have been forever changed by losing such amazing heroes.

Thanks for being a hero. Thanks for sacrificing your heart and for the way you brave it each day when your Marine goes to work. And thanks to all who are heroes, both here and away.

Love you and praying for you!

Anonymous January 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM  

I've only come to know about your blog as I was looking for something for ???. I don't even remember, but now after reading about the death of yet another death in your family, I know why I was to find your blog---TO PRAY. I did stop and pray for the wife, the 11 yr. old, and family. Then I went back to read about the event from this summer. God placed your blog in my life for this time of pray and trusting Him to take care of and to grant His mercy and grace upon Marine Riddick's family and friends. May His peace and comfort sustain each of you through out the days ahead.
Continuing to pray for our men who give all they have for our freedom and protection from our enemies,
Jeanne, NC

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP