Mommy Magic.....Does It Ever End and Do You WANT It To End?

>> Wednesday, October 15, 2014

I pulled up my blog this morning and realized that I haven't written anything since July.  The ease and convenience of Facebook and Instagram has slowly stolen my joy for writing......and sometimes I wonder, should I continue?

But then I get a thought or an idea that is just way too long to post on Facebook and then I turn back to my trusty old blog......waiting patiently on the sidelines for me to come back and breathe life into it again.

Today's thoughts were born from Nudgie recently losing her first front tooth.  She's been waiting and waiting so patiently for that tooth to come out.  And sure enough, while eating her apple slices at dinner the other night, she lost the tooth.......and then promptly swallowed it.

She was devastated.

She came to show me....and then told me, with tear-stained cheeks, that she swallowed it and that the Tooth Fairy won't come because she didn't have her tooth.  I hugged her close and promised her that the Tooth Fairy would still come.



 As we were getting ready for bed, Nudgie showed me the letter she wrote to the Tooth Fairy.....she named her "Toothatina" (from the Pinkalicious books).  She rolled it up and put it in her Tooth Fairy pillow and whispered, "I hope she comes" before falling asleep.



The night went on.....the girls were sleeping and I was finishing up some chores before going to bed.  When I got upstairs, I remembered that I had to put money in the pillow and trudged back downstairs, digging through my wallet hoping I had a couple ones.

At that moment, it was an inconvenience.  Just one more thing I had to do.

Then I remembered Nudgie's letter......and I couldn't let it pass with just a couple bucks shoved in a pillow.  It was dark, I was tired, but I turned my laptop back on, searched for "Tooth Fairy" on Google, and wrote a reply that was worthy of Toothatina.


I rolled it up, tied it with a pink ribbon and nestled it in the pillow next to the $2 I dug out of my wallet.....and THEN I went to bed.

The next morning, the smile on her face and the excitement in her voice as she read Toothatina's letter just reinforced that I made the right choice.  A few extra moments from me made her entire day.

That night, when I peeked in on Nudgie before I went to bed, I saw her sleeping.....Toothatina's letter clutched in her tiny fist.  I immediately teared up......emotional sap that I am!  I lay in bed for awhile thinking......how much longer do I have?  How much longer can I keep the magic going before they both go, "Mooooommmmm.....enough!"......before I put out my last Easter basket, until we read our last story together, until I've used up the last of my Mommy Magic.  But laying there, I decided that I will keep going.......I will keep going until they tell me to stop.  And even if they tell me to stop, I will still keep going.

I will keep leaving letters from Toothatina
I will keep leaving little surprises from The Back to School Fairy.....even into the college days
I will keep doing Last Day of School surprises and First Day of Summer Vacation treats
I will keep the Christmas magic going with Chippy the Elf
I will keep doing Birthday Surprises and random "Just Because" surprises

And, God-willing, I will continue doing it even when I have grandchildren........

You are NEVER too old for Mommy Magic......

2 comments:

Jodi October 15, 2014 at 7:00 AM  

Boomer is 18 and knows. But I keep doing the things. Because the surprises and the look on his face is worth it all. Everyone needs something to cling too and needs surprises. lol

OurWanderingAdventures November 4, 2014 at 6:50 AM  

Love it, that is incredibly sweet and it's something about those magical moments that instill magic and wonder in adults. My parents still buy my gifts from themselves and Santa still comes to their house as well. I am 34 and you know what? I love it!
We are a family that loves Disney, believes in Pixie Dust and that our Magical Elf causes mischief throughout our Holiday Season!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP