Just Call Me The Volunteer Whore

>> Sunday, May 24, 2015

Hello, my name is Jennifer and I'm a Volunteer Whore.

 
At least according to the mom who I ran into in the school office Wednesday morning. 

You see, I have a standing volunteer schedule at the school....every Wednesday and Friday morning.  I come in more when I can and just recently took on the position as Box Top Coordinator for the PTCO as well.  And even though the front office staff know me well, but I still have to sign in.  As I was signing in and I noticed a mom and her two girls in front of me.  One girl is in Nani's class and one in Nudgie's class. 

As we were waiting, both girls came up to me, gave me a hug and said "Hi Ms. B!" at which point the mom turned around to see me. And then she said with a smirk, "Oh you must be the volunteer whore....(laughs)....my girls say you come to school all the time. I guess you don't have anything better to do than check up on your girls. I just send in my checks and that's it."

Cue record scratch and then silence.......

What in the fresh hell did she just say to me???

Even the school secretary stopped typing for a second.......



I was stunned.  I couldn't believe she talked like that to me in front of her children.  And believe me, I had a few choice words to fire back, but instead I replied, "Well, I'd rather be a volunteer whore and know what's going on with my daughters and their friends instead of just participating by check.".  I then turned to her girls, smiled a big smile and said to the youngest..."I'll see you in class....I can't wait to hear you read your book to me" and walked away.

To be honest -- if it wasn't for the "volunteer whore" part, I would have let it go.  I have never, ever criticized another parent for not volunteering or being able to make a field trip....because let's face it.....parents do have jobs and other commitments.  Parents do what they can, and it certainly doesn't make them less of a parent because they don't volunteer.

But seriously....name calling?  In front of your daughters?  I seriously thought I left the bullying behind!

Now, I don't know this woman.  I've seen her at drop off/pick up and when she dropped off her oldest for Nani's birthday party.  But I really don't know her.  I don't know if she works, stays home, does other volunteer work.....I just....don't.....know.  So that doesn't give me any right to assume to know the reason for her lashing out and use that choice of words.  Maybe she had a bad morning.  Maybe she's having a bad week.  Who knows.

But after initially getting very angry and insulted and venting on Facebook about it......I realized that maybe I really AM a Volunteer Whore.

I don't do it for recognition or pats on the back.  I do it because I LOVE our school and I LOVE my kids' teachers. They do so much for those kids and MORE. Volunteering whatever free time I have to help out in any way I can - whether reading with the kids, endlessly sharpening pencils or reorganizing a classroom library - doesn't even begin to scratch the surface on how grateful I am to those teachers.

So, if that makes me a Volunteer Whore....then so be it.  I will embrace that and wear that title with pride!

And to you dear mom......I can only hope that our girls are together in the same classes again next year, because you know what -- I'll still be there.....2, maybe 3 times a week giving your girls, my girls, and all the other kids an extra smile, a good morning hug, and a little bit of encouragement.

And if you can swing it......I would really encourage you to try and put away the checkbook and come and do the same....even if just for an hour.

Because my friend.....you really don't know what you're missing.......

0 comments:

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP