Saving & Giving Challenge - The Binge

>> Thursday, September 24, 2015


I realized that I haven't posted a check-in update for a couple of days....heck, almost a week.  It really wasn't intentional......but maybe subconciously it was.

This past Friday, I had a binge.....which led to a full blown weekend binge.

Friday started off as such a good day for me.

I was excited to get my haircut......to have some "me" time.  I stopped at Starbucks on my way and used my gift card to purchase a coveted Pumpkin Spice Latte.  I got a great cut, but not some great news that my stylist raised prices by $10.  I didn't budget for that, but it was fine and I was happy with my cut, so I paid it and gave him a tip (cash, which was planned).

On the way home, I stopped by Michael's to return some stuff I found stashed in my garage.  No question -- it was going back.  It was only a $7 return, but it was $7 back in the bank rather than junk laying around that I'd probably never use and end up giving away anyway.  I was so proud of myself for not walking around the store and buying anything.  I was proud of myself for even throwing away the 40% off coupon that I got with my return receipt.

I was doing this.  I could avoid the temptation if I really put my mind to it.

Or so I thought.

That night, I was supposed to have plans with some friends.  A girls' night out.  I'd been looking forward to this for DAYS!  My Marine has been gone a LOT and I desperately needed to blow off some steam before he left again on Sunday.  But the plans changed and my night got cancelled.

I was disappointed.  I was angry.  I was hurt.  I was irritated and annoyed.  I started to feel trapped and even my family started getting on my nerves.  So, I grabbed my purse and told My Marine I was heading out for a bit - to get a coffee.

I headed to Barnes & Noble.....and bought the coffee......and a bunch of books.



I could have stopped there, but I didn't.  My triggers were already in play and it's hard to get those demons back into the box once they're out.

On Saturday, I binged again.....more books, stuff for the girls, an unplanned stop at the Farmers Market, extra spending at the grocery store by going off the list.

On Sunday, I binged again when I took the girls BACK to Barnes & Noble after we took My Marine to the airport.

Sunday night, I sat and looked at the results of my binge and I could justify it by saying that I deserved it because I've been holding down the fort alone for so long....again.  Or that my plans changed so that I took the money I would have spent on a night out and spent it anyway.  Or that my kids needed something to help them cope with Daddy being gone....again.

But there was a big difference, this time I knew exactly WHY I did it. I knew every single emotion behind every single purchase.  Those emotions were so strong that it drove me to get a fix.  It didn't matter that I didn't need any single thing.....I just needed that high.  But knowing that awareness and recognizing it is HUGE for me.  That was something that had never been there before.  I would always push those feelings down and focus on my purchases.  Trying to hide them or find space to put them took the place of me confronting WHY I bought all that stuff in the first place.

I had high expectations for this monthly challenge.  I really thought that I could get through the month without a big binge.....but I was wrong.  I'm human.  I'm an addict in recovery.  I'll probably fall off the wagon more times than I'm on it.....but as long as I stay aware and recognize, I'll be one step closer to fewer relapses. 

 

0 comments:

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP