The Meat Man Cometh.....

>> Saturday, May 2, 2009

As of last night, I really had no inspiration to write this morning. I had full intentions of just riding out the weekend to see what would come about.....what blogging fodder my Toy Box Creators would provide me. Turns out that I didn't have to wait long -- and that the blogging inspiration would come from my Marine and NOT my Toy Box Creators! But what I am about to share with you is a totally true story....and the names have NOT been changed to protect the innocent. Oh no....my Marine is going into the blogging hall of fame for this one!

Last night, after the girls are in bed, I was comfortably sitting on my couch, watching a DVR'd episode of CSI, and happily creating my little blog world. Hubby was outside with our two dogs, smoking one of his birthday cigars, when I heard chaos break loose with the dogs just barking and barking -- their subtle announcement of "Hey, someone's here! Someone's here!"

About 5 minutes later, I hear my husband running down the stairs to ask me - "Honey, do you have any money? The Meat Man is here!" Ummmm......ok........

(The Meat Man you may be wondering is a guy and a friend who drive around a refridgerated truck full of meat. Not the most ideal shopping experience for my meat needs, of course. Think - dark alley, guy in trenchcoat with a gravelly voice - "Hey, you wanna buy a box of meat?")

My overly excited husband proceeds to tell me that he can get us a whole box of steaks for $25! And did you know that The Meat Man gave us a 50% discount because we're military?! (In the meantime, I'm thinking - did you think that he's giving us the discount because these steaks came from the cows in the pasture next to the pigs that generated the Swine Flu?!?)

He just seemed so genuinely happy with this deal, I thought - oh what the heck -- play along and let him buy his meat off the back of a truck. Mentally, I told myself when he wants to cook these steaks, I'll be having salad that day. So I gave him what cash I had and he happily runs up the stairs and out the door like a little kid chasing down the ice cream truck. Except - instead of the red, white & blue ice pop, he gets a dozen frozen, vacuum-sealed ribeye steaks.

(I'm actually chuckling to myself as I write this.....)

Ten minutes go by and I hear running footsteps down the stairs once again. He comes around the corner and proudly presents me with a box of frozen meat - opening it reverently, like he was presenting me with a jewelry box containing a diamond necklace. (And believe me - I was hoping for the diamond necklace!)

He also had a -- hold your breath people! -- an actual advertising brochure. Now granted, it looked like a copy of a copy of a copy that had been run over a couple times -- but lo, and behold -- The Meat Man not only provides steaks -- The Meat Man provides for your seafood needs as well! (That is if you have a taste for lobster fished out of the Colorado River......)

(I'm thinking - I just lost $25!)

But for all my doubts (and research on the Internet), this company is quite legitimate and has many customers all over that have posted raving comments about the customer service. They are also listed with the Better Business Bureau and have no complaints (or calls to Poison Control).

I think I've learned a lesson here --

1. I really judged The Meat Man too harshly before truly getting to know him; and
2. I will never let my husband go grocery shopping alone ever again!

PS - We're having a BBQ next weekend! On the menu - a box of frozen steaks from the back of a truck!

4 comments:

the mama May 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

OK where and how to I find out how to get the meat man to come to my house?! :) Too funny!

Quawana May 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM  

You are off to a great blogging start! I hope your BBQ turns out well.

Amanda: May 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

LOVE IT!! I'm going to start following your blog, I think!

Mel at Adventures of Mel May 5, 2009 at 8:19 PM  

I love finding new bloggy friends! Blogging just makes it such a small world, you know? Oh my, you know, my husband actually bought "meat off the back of a truck" about a week ago, and I too kinda gave him a hard time about it when he first told me, but when we ate those steaks....wow, I have to say that my mouth was shut, savoring every bite because they were delicious!:)LOL I was sold with the first bite.:) (But don't tell him....although I think he knows with the way I gobbled them up).:)

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP