O' Christmas Tree.....

>> Monday, December 21, 2009

I love my Christmas tree! I love decorating it, the smell of it, and sitting in the family room with all the lights off -- except for the twinkling lights of the tree.

My Marine's family had a tradition of doing a different theme for their tree every year. When My Marine and I got married, we thought we'd carry on the tradition. Our first Christmas tree theme was blue & silver, the second tree was all music, and our third tree was all Santa Claus. But somehow we never made it past the Santa Claus theme. One - we were running out of storage room and two - we just LOVED the Santa theme. So we kept it.

The year My Marine was deployed in Iraq, I had to decorate the tree by myself. Nani was just a year old -- she wouldn't remember whether we had a tree or not, but I had to do it. That was the year the ornaments changed. Instead of Santa, I did a variety of ornaments. Ornaments that had meaning. And it stayed. So now the theme of our tree is family history.

As we put the ornaments on our tree, we remember what each ornament is for.

Our wedding ornament. It's always the first one we unwrap and put on the tree.



The angel has Nudge's name on it and the "Princess" ornament is for Nani



The Santa ball is one of the originals left over from the Santa themed tree



The little gold angel was given to Nani by my daddy right after she was born. It's special because her name is misspelled on it -- and we still laugh about it to this day.



This ball is a Russian ornament that we got from a little Russian store during our travels. The rest of the set are scattered throughout the tree.




I love this one! We bought this one right after My Marine returned from Iraq. He had said - "Wouldn't it be nice to have snow for Christmas?" -- especially after living in 100+ degree days for 18 months. From his mouth to God's ear -- it snowed every weekend between Thanksgiving and New Year's. We had a blizzard every weekend and when it was all said and done -- we had almost 5 feet of snow total!





There are so many more ornaments on our tree that have special meaning -- the ones that Nani handmade, a few that were handed down from My Marine's mom, the ones we bought as we traveled, and the German Shepherd ornament for our dogs.

And someday, I'll share each story with my girls as I hand the ornaments down to them and hope that they, too, will remember the stories and share them with their families someday.

4 comments:

The Four Week Vegan December 21, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

I cannot imagine doing a theme eveyr year - I would miss the ornaments from the previous years. I am sure it is beautiful though. My tree is just like yours. All the ornaments have a meaning and memory attached to them. I love it!

Amanda: December 21, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

I love it! Our tree is mostly glass balls, with some of our other favorites scattered throughout. I was just thinking that EVERY time I walk into the living room, the ornaments have been re-arranged, and there are bare spots where there weren't before. I think Logan is "helping" :)

simi December 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

Thanks for nice info.

We wish you a Merry Christmas.
http://FreeAdsAmerica.com

Ioana December 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

aww, that is so cute&sweet*anything else that you like.
this might be one of the best ideas I heard in a long time. I am saving it for when I am going to be a wife&mommy :D:D:D

Ioana.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP