All By Myself.......

>> Monday, January 18, 2010

I like that song -- especially since I changed the words to suit my needs...

"All by myself.....I wanna be....all by myyyy-self.....for awhile....."

On Saturday, I got three whole hours to myself. A rarity since My Marine has been working so much and just got back on Friday afternoon from his week-long trip. It took everything within me not to toss the kids at him when he walked through the door and go running from the house at break-neck speed.

But I restrained myself -- and waited.....like a lioness watching her prey.....I waited.....

Saturday morning I got up, got showered and dressed in something that wasn't covered in crumbs, juice or dog slobber. I even dried my hair and - GASP - put on makeup! When I came downstairs, Nani said to me, "Mommy, you look pretty!" Be still my heart!

My Marine looks at me and says, "You goin' somewhere?" Yes....yes I am. I told him that I was just going to run a few errands and did he mind watching the girls for a bit. (I like to use the words "a bit" because it doesn't commit me to any certain time!)

I had a plan -- but I wasn't going to share that plan with anyone, lest I hear -- "Oh, that sounds like fun...came I come?" So instead, I said...well, I need to run to the store to buy some tampons and diapers, and pick up something for dinner. Maybe I'll stop at the library and pay my fines...and if there's time, run the Jeep through a car wash."

I saw My Marine's eyes glaze over as soon as I mentioned the word "tampons" and I left him with our two girls with a smirk on my face....

And I ran out the door.

My first stop was Starbucks. I stopped in for my grande cinnamon dolce latte with two pumps of white mocha and a little small talk with the baristas. I literally skipped out of Starbucks sipping my breakfast with a smile on my face.

It's amazing how even the most mundane of errands takes a new spin when you're alone and sipping coffee! But the fun didn't stop there!

I ran to Office Depot for printer ink and packing tape. Stopped at Best Buy to exchange a DVD I got for Christmas. Ran by the library to pick up a book I've been wanting to read (and yes, pay those fines...)

I visited Borders to use my Borders bucks and browse the shelves without having a child hanging on me, another one saying "Mommy, look, look, look at this Disney Princess book!" or My Marine saying "I'll be over in the magazines" with a bored look on his face. I was able to wander aimlessly browsing book after book....

Then I headed over to Old Navy. This particular one is going out of business and a lot of their stuff was 75% off. I found 2 pairs of jeans for $4 each and two long-sleeved tshirts for $1.50 each. Stuff I wouldn't have been able to find had I been with two kiddies who prefer to chase each other through the clothing racks.

I could feel my "tank" filling up and I started to feel a bit guilty for leaving My Marine and kids for so long. That's my key to knowing that it's time to go. I stay out for as long as I can before the guilt hits.

After one last stop at the grocery store, I headed home. I walk in to complete chaos....the dogs are barking, Nudgie's hair looks like she stuck her finger in a socket and she's covered in Ritz crackers, Nani looks like a street urchin wearing mismatched clothes and socks, and My Marine is sitting on the couch watching The Military Channel.

Sigh.......

But when they come running to me screaming "Moooommmyyyy!!" with open arms, all the scraggly hair and mismatched socks are put aside.

Until I hear.....

"What did you bring me?"

10 comments:

The Four Week Vegan January 18, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

Sounds lovely :) We all need to get away for a little bit now and then. What great finds at Old Navy!

Jenny January 18, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

You sound so much like me...oh, how I long for days to myself!!! I am actually off to enjoy one today! Have a good week! :)

Sara January 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

Glad you made some time for yourself! We can only give our best to the people we love when we take the time to take care of ourselves!

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight January 18, 2010 at 12:48 PM  

Alone time...nothing beats it! And some shopping on top of that...sounds awesome!

Amanda: January 18, 2010 at 7:22 PM  

Hahahahaha - that totally made me laugh out loud. You have a way, my friend... I LOVE your blog posts :)

Buckeroomama January 19, 2010 at 6:57 AM  

LOL! Sometimes the only way I could get out of the house alone is if I tell the kids that I'll bring them a "surprise" back. So, usually, the first thing that greets me when I come home is, "Mommy, can I look in your bag?" or "Where is my surprise?"

Susan January 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

Sometimes you just need to go. Time to yourself, its a good thing!

MIG January 21, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

Stopping by to say hi and follow from MBC. :)

Vanessa January 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

This reminds me of that Kenny Rogers song... You know: "Ya gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em." But especially "Know when to WALK AWAY. Know when to RUN!" :-) Glad you walked/ran out for your time to yourself! :-) (And I TOTALLY agree, I *love* coming back to them running to me!!"

Unknown January 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Arent mommy times great! It is important for us to get away some times! Good for you! Those arms are nice to come back too!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP