Starbucks Stepford

>> Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I received the best birthday and Christmas presents of all this year. For my 40th birthday, my daddy sent me a $50 gift card for Starbucks. For Christmas, My Marine gave me yet another $50 gift card for Starbucks. Yep -- add that up folks! That's $100 worth of grande cinnamon dolce lattes! And that should last me....oh, about a month.

I received those gifts not out of love. (Ok, so maybe a little out of love) But I received those wonderful gifts because both my daddy and My Marine know how I love my Starbucks.....and how cranky I am without it.

I am a Starbucks Stepford.

I have to admit. I never...and I say again, NEVER, had a Starbucks until I moved to Colorado and My Marine deployed the first time. Oh, I've had coffee before....but never the sweet, milky dew that comes steaming so heavenly from the recognizeable green & white cup. Once I had my first sip -- there was no going back.

I started with the basic vanilla latte. And then - THEN - some young barista, who I swear had devil horns hidden under his hat, introduced me to my addiction -- cinnamon dolce latte with two pumps of white mocha.

"Come, you must try it!"
, he whispered to me one morning when I stopped in for my morning fix. "It's like sipping a piece of heaven!" He beckons to me much like the serpent did with Eve. Seriously -- I'm sure the Garden of Eden was the first Starbucks - Eve, the first SAHM who needed a break and that caffeine fix to get her through the day - and the Serpent, the first barista.

But I digress....

If you like your coffee sweet (and I'm talking, a little coffee with your sugar?), then you must try a cinnamon dolce latte with two pumps of white mocha. I've heard the baristas call it anything from a "cinnamon roll" to a "cinnamon stick" to "pure evil".

Anyway -- my daddy gives me a hard time because of my Starbucks addiction.

"What's wrong with instant?", he says. To which I reply, it's like brown sand. I don't drink sand.

"Too good to brew your own coffee?", he asks. To which I reply, I do brew my own coffee, but come on.....there's no comparison. I'm making it myself as opposed to having someone else make it for me - and that's no fun. I even gave up Starbucks for Lent last year and brewed my own coffee. GASP!!! I know! Personally, I thought I did ok...but deep down I know it was the most miserable 40 days of My Marine's life.

And right now, I'm raising a mini Starbucks Stepford. The other day, My Marine threatened to cut me off completely. It seems that he caught Nani playing "drive-through". What started out so sweetly as a little girl riding her tricycle, turned into My Marine glimpsing into what really goes on when we leave the house in the morning.

He watched as Nani pulled her tricycle up to a large box we had sitting on our garage floor and have the following conversation....

Nani: "Good morning! I'd like a grande cimmamon dewchay latte with two pumps of white mucka please! Thank you!"

What startled him the most was that she had stashed an empty Starbucks cup and drove over to yet another box to pick up her coffee. And then with her little pink princess purse hanging from the handlebar, off she drove with a cup in one hand, steering with the other.

That's my girl!

What is it that make us so addicted to this phenomenon we call Starbucks. For everyone it's different. But for me, and I think other moms too, it's a sisterhood. It's a place that we can go to where we're not being called "Mommy". Where we can banter at the drive-through window over small talk and not Dr. Seuss. Where you can go to a fairly clean and fully stocked counter with cream and condiments, and where you see napkins in their natural environment and not shredded all over your living room floor. And finally, where you don't have to SHARE!

I always have a Starbucks when I go grocery shopping. I get my coffee and away I go. As I shop, I see other women with their familiar Starbucks cups. As we shop and spy each other, we exchange smiles as we give a subtle toast. On my way out the door, I stop at the trash can to drain the last drops of that sweet nectar and chuckle to myself as I see numerous Starbucks cups in the trash.

Happily -- I'm not the only one.

I know that with what I've spent on Starbucks since I started, I could have probably funded Nani's first year of college. But, you see -- it's much more important that I have my coffee so that she CAN make it to her first year of college. And most mothers will agree. It's a small price to pay - right?

And to end on a happy note -- my good friend, Robin -- who has such a God-given talent for making the most delicious cakes -- made me a birthday cake for my 40th birthday. Combining my two favorite things -- Starbucks & books -- she created a book-shaped, cinnamon-dolce latte cake for me.



Completing the cake was an actual edible Starbucks cup made entirely of rice krispie treats and fondant icing.



Now if only Starbucks would start selling those!

13 comments:

Annette W. January 6, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

I laughed at this. See, I don't drink coffee. Nor anything coffee flavored.

But we were given a $10 gift card to Starbucks...to most this would be wonderful, but I cannot in good taste (though it is decent) spend $3-4 on a hot chocolate. So my sister will be blessed shortly. I'm sure I am your only reader who feels this way. But I still love to read about your addiction...and your daughter's response...and your Marine's response. So funn!

Charity January 6, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

Its so nice to start off the morning with a good laugh!! I love this post, and I now have a new goal in live... to try one of those :). Hope you are doing well and had a wonderful Christmas. ~Charity

the mama January 6, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

I am laughing so hard right now! hahaha I have tried very hard to not be "one of those moms". You know, like YOU. :p haha I do brew my own coffee and it makes me happy enough. But you see I while I don't have a barista story, I have a friend. And this friend gave me a gift card to Starbucks for Christmas this year. Sigh. It's like crack. Seriously. I had a Gingerbread Latte the other day and every day since I am trying to find an excuse to go to that part of town again just to hit he drive thru for another! hahaha

LOVE LOVE the cake btw!!!! :) AWESOME!!!

Gidget Girl Reading January 6, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

I hear its good i just can fork over that much for coffee! :) but my sister LOVES it, but did recently becomea McCafe addict she says its just as good and cheaper!

I'm Tara. January 6, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

Okay, just for the record, Robin is amazing!!! Wow.

Moving right along - LOVE this post! Also, I have been ordering that SAME drink for a couple of years now as my treat. If I am in a particularly naughty mood, I make no modifications, but usually I am "that girl" and make the most obnoxious order possible. Ready? Here ya go.

Decaf, venti, no whip, nonfat white mocha with one pump of sugar free cinnamon dolce.

Yes. I know. It's too much. One of the baristas has challenged me to do one more tweak to it -- that way I will have EVERY box checked. Oh - and one time someone said I could order it skinny, but it did NOT come out right that way so I stick with the long, obnoxious version.

I too was a happy girl to get Starbucks in my stocking! Why have we not met there yet??? Let's get on it, sister!!

I'm Tara. January 6, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

p.s. - have you had it iced yet?? Yum-o.

The Four Week Vegan January 6, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

I don't drink coffe, except for a Starbucks froo-froo drink. My favorite is a white chocolate mocha, but I am totally going to try the one you recommended. You will find hubby and I at Starbucks once a week for our weekly date :) We have a really nice one nearby that has a huge patio with cushy chairs. I could sit there all day.

Helene January 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

Coffee is one of the things I could actually live without, believe it or not. Right now I happen to be going through a coffee phase just because I'm dragging on most days.

But I totally get your love for it! I'm afraid if I were to start a Starbucks addiction, I'd never be able to stop!!

The Four Week Vegan January 8, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

Hey, I had that Starbucks drink you recommended. I got the Grande Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte with 2 White Choc Mocha pumps - oh my - heavenly. Thanks!

Jillian January 10, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

Oh my gosh that starbucks story was hilarious! Kids are such great imitators:) And what an AWESOME cake!

Roan January 12, 2010 at 6:55 AM  

I loved this post!
I brew my on coffee each morning (2 pots), and then we move on to the single serve Keurig for the rest of the day. My husband and two oldest daughters (ages 14 and 12) drink coffee too. I take a cup to them in bed each morning when I wake them up. Anyway! I love Starbucks too, but we live out in the country and cannot just drive through each morning! My favorite is the peppermint mocha. I am going to write down the name of your favorite (no way I can remember that) and try it the next time I go to Starbucks!
That cake and coffee cup treat are fabulous!
Have a great day, and I still love your blog background! I just love pink! I need to change mine to something pretty and pink!

Roan January 12, 2010 at 6:56 AM  

ok it bugs me that I typed "on" in that first sentence when I should have typed "own"
Don't know how to correct that! Ha!

Tammy January 13, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

Thanks for stopping by! I want to become a follower but I don't see how I can do it on your page...any hints!

I too am a Starbuck addict. We must be related. Do you have your gold card? You MUST get one if you don't have one. My hubby gave me one last year for Valentines Day! Way better than chocolate to me! Where do you live? I am in Washington but I see you made it to Canon Beach...are you in Oregon?

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP