Flashback On Friday - How To Be A Good Wife

>> Friday, February 18, 2011

This week kinda got away from me.  I'm in the process of writing a couple posts but didn't have anything ready for today.  So I thought I'd resurrect another oldie, but goodie from my archives to share.  So here's a Flashback On Friday!  Enjoy and have a great weekend everyone!!

*******************************************

How To Be A Good Wife - Week 1

A long time ago, I was forwarded one of those group emails. Usually I delete stuff like that, but this one intrigued me. It was called The Good Wife's Guide. I'm sure some of you have seen it. It was the Holy Grail for all housewives in 1955.


I found a copy of it the other day and as I sat here reading it again, I thought that this provided me with enough blogging fodder for a few weeks.

So, my fellow housewives and mommies....I am going to attempt to rewrite The Good Wife's guide for today's woman.

Starting today....Lesson #1



************************************

1955 Rule #1:

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time, for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him, and are concerned about his needs.



Most men are hungry when they come home, and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.




2010 Rule #1:

Dig through the take-out menus and restaurant coupons to plan dinner for yourself and your family.  Call hubby at work and ask if Hamburger Helper for the third time that week is acceptable.


Encourage him to go to Happy Hour on Friday nights after work.  That way you know that he's getting a well-rounded meal complete with meat (wings), potatoes (french fries), and fiber (barley and hops). 



If you're feeling domestic, flip through magazines and tear out recipes that you plan on trying for the next Sunday meal.  Discover that you have a plastic ziploc bag full of recipes that you've been collecting since the day you got engaged. 



Plan grocery list for the month's worth of meals that you wrote out.  Realize that the coupons you painstakingly clipped expired 6 months ago.  Toss menu in the trash and decide that stopping at the "Big Three" or ordering pizza before watching "The Bachelor" still counts for planning menus. 




Surprise hubby with a meal every once in awhile from the wing joint down the street. 



Remember - you can also make any meal exotic by adding any cold, imported beer to the menu.





Tell yourself you'll do better next month.

Next week's lesson......The Good Wife's Beauty Tips

53 comments:

Melissa February 18, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

LMAO...thanks for the laugh!!! Can't wait to read next week's tip!!

Joshlin February 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM  

Great post! I am so the 1955 Wife. That rule describes me exactly! I am a little old fashion though:)

Thanks for finding me. You have a great blog and I can't wait to read next weeks tip!

Joshlin February 18, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

WOW! I am follower #100. That is so cool:)

The Four Week Vegan February 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

Great re-write. I actually do follow the 1955 rule and have since we got married and I didn't even know it was a rule.

Wonderfully Chaotic February 18, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

One of my husband's friends at his old job emailed "the guide" out for the men to send to their wives. At the bottom she put "Let me know where to send flowers for your funeral!" LOL :)

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I'm following you now as well! :)

Shelley February 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM  

Your blog is way too adorable!! I love it! I'm your newest follower from the follow club at MBC!! Love for you to come visit me!

~Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

Suzanne February 18, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

I knew I was good at something...getting take-out like every good wife of 2010:-) Funny blog post...can't wait for the next installment!

Sarah February 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

Hi! Following from MBC Great post!
You can visit me here
http://www.minnesotamamasmusthaves.com/

For the Love of Naps - Sarah February 19, 2010 at 3:19 AM  

That gave me a smile! I will stay tuned for the next lesson!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Unknown February 19, 2010 at 4:46 AM  

Loving your blog! I'm also a military wife here in NC. I saw your link on FFF on MBC. I'm your newest follower! Drop by my page when you get a chance.

http://mommys-freetime.blogspot.com

sheila February 19, 2010 at 5:01 AM  

LOL! Once at a flea market I bought an old dusty book similar to this, but it was written in the 30's, lol.

Lisa February 19, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

That was hilarious!!! Can't wait for next weeks installment.

Happy friday follow, following you back!

Angie G. February 19, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

Follow Me Friday follower. This is too funny. Can't wait for next week!

Angela
http://nepastealsanddeals.blogspot.com/

Katrina February 19, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

That's too funny! I think I remember getting something like this in an email & I just laughed!

By the way I'm a new follower via the friday follower.

Sara February 19, 2010 at 8:03 AM  

too funny! Thank you so much for the follow and I am now your latest follower!
Have a wonderful weekend

Anonymous February 19, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

So funny. Thanks for visiting my blog. :) Friday Following.

Veronica Lee February 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

Too cute!!

Hi! I'm visiting from the Friends Following Friends Club!

extreme personal measures February 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

LMAO!
Stopping by from Trendy Treehouse to say Hi!
I am adding you so I can come back & read more!
Please stop by!
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

Anonymous February 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

I love the pictures! Too funny! Here from Friday Follow!

Rachel Cotterill February 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

Hilarious - I love it. Can't wait for the next installment :)

Lisa C. February 19, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

this is hilarious... following back from FF.. Happy Friday..

Ria @ Life as a Wife! February 19, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

Super funny!!! I love your blog... being that I am in the corporate world currently. I am longing for the day when I will be a mommy :) It will be fun to follow along your journey. Thanks for following from Friday Follow!

Blessings,
Ria

MisAdventuresofMomof3 February 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

That's really funny! Thanks for the follow - returning the favor from FF!

Have a great weekend!

Unknown February 19, 2010 at 11:52 AM  

I also like 2010's rules better. Following you from FF!

Natalie A. February 19, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Thanks for sharing this! I'm already following your blog! Thanks for following my blog! Have a great day!!!

Sarah February 19, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

High I found your blog through Friday Follow. I'm now following!

http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com

GroverFamily February 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

Hi! great post...i found you on Friday followers...im a military wife also! Come check out my blog at http://lifewiththegrovers.blogspot.com

Anonymous February 19, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

I love this post! I'm so happy to be living in 2010! Happy FF. I'm a new follower!

Anonymous February 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

Simply hilarious!!!

I bought 2 books like that printed in 1938 one for the husband and one for the wife. My husband and I laugh at it - they are too funny!!

I am following you back - nice to meet you! I really like the way you write!!!

Unknown February 19, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Cute post!

I'm following you from Friday Follow!
Heather
http://www.ratherbechangingdiapers.com/

veterankindergartenteacher February 19, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

Reading your blog was such a treat! Your children are absolutely precious. I teach kindergarten in a private Christian school and loveeeeee my job! Have a blessed week-end! I will be back!

Stefanie February 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

This is great :) I definitely could use a laugh after the day I had today... yikes!!

Stopping by from MBC and now following you :)

Stefanie http://pediatricsafety.net

MollyinMinn February 19, 2010 at 5:45 PM  

Pure, hysterical fabulous-ness! I am your newest follower.

Life Is A SandCastle February 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

Great Post!
Following from Follow Friday and looking forward to your posts.

http://lifeisasandcastle.blogspot.com/

HeartsMakeFamilies February 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

Hey just stopping by to say Hi from Friday Follow! This was hilarious lol.

Happy Follow Friday!

Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com

JaelCustomDesigns February 19, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

I've received that email about a good wife. I won't tell you whatwent through my mind when I read it!

Following you from MBC (FFF Club)
you can find me at
http://www.jaelcustomdesigns.com

Kara @ His, Hers and Ours February 20, 2010 at 6:05 PM  

LOVE these!! And so true!!

Thanks for the follow! I'm now following you back! Have a great weekend!!

Felissa Hadas February 21, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

Stopping by to say hello with Friday Follow. Hope you have had a fantastic weekend.

Felissa

Please stop by my new blog and say hello
http://www.twolittlecavaliers.blogspot.com

http://www.felissahadas.blogspot.com

Amanda Tempel February 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM  

Hey there! I love your blog, its really cute! :)
im A new follower from Friday Follow. I hope I'll see you at my blog too! :)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments February 28, 2010 at 7:53 AM  

haha!! love this! I'd love to look so "put-together" and cute as these 1950's ladies while serving up dinner to my hubby! As it is lately, I am coming home late form work, jumping in the shower, and into my flannel pjs and bathrobe!

Blessings & Aloha!
(trying now to catch up on fun blogs, before the work week starts again!)

melaniet42 March 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

I totally have those recipes I've taken from magazines for years!!

Anonymous March 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM  

I stumbled here from a twitter post. LOVE the good housewife posts! They're great.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP