Random Thoughts - The Upside & The Downside

>> Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I've been having a rough time lately.

My Marine's schedule is all whacko and he's been gone more than he's been home -- and I'm not happy. This week takes him back to Ft. Rucker for a week-long conference. I get a phone call last night on his way to the hotel. A hotel where his bed doesn't include a furry child who snores and runs in her sleep. A hotel where someone picks up his wet towels off the bed. A hotel where someone makes his bed every morning and vacuums for him. (Oh wait -- he gets that here at home too....) He ends his phone call with "I'll try to call later honey, but we're having an icebreaker tonight." Translate that into - "It's Happy Hour in the hotel bar and I'll be hanging out with some other soldiers attending the conference - some who I haven't seen since we met up at our layover in Atlanta earlier that afternoon."

I knew while helping him pack that it was going to be like this this week. But compound that with the frustration that I've been feeling over the past month and you've got one unhappy momma. I did feel a bit better though as I was helping him pack I "accidentally" forgot to pack his toothbrush. It's not as dramatic as, say, forgetting to pack his uniform - which I would NEVER do. A toothbrush is easier to replace than the uniform.....and forgetting to pack his toothbrush was just a little show of defiance on my behalf.

Grrrrrrrr........

Upside - I got to watch "The Bachelor" by myself last night with no comments from the Peanut Gallery.

Downside - I never sleep good when My Marine is out of town. So I tossed and turned a lot last night and watched a lot of late night TV and infomercials.

*********************************


I was reading MckMama's blog yesterday and discovered that she is going to be in my neck of the woods at the end of the month. I have the opportunity to meet her AND possibly have a scheduled photo shoot with her.

Downside -- the meet & greet happens when My Marine is going to be yet on ANOTHER trip, so I'm not sure if I'll have anyone to watch the girls.

Upside -- at least I'll be able to take the girls with me for the photo shoot the next day.

Downside -- I'll have to miss my MOPS bible study that day.

*********************************


Last night while checking my email one last time before heading to bed, I got this email in response to one of my blogs......

Hi Toy Box Lady - (I like how she calls me Toy Box Lady)

I am Tammy Tyms, Gigi Schweikert’s personal assistant. Gigi was delighted to find that you had read her book and used one of her devotionals for your Sunday devotion on your blog! Gigi is passionate about connecting with Mom’s and it means so much to her to know that you have been blessed by her writings. Gigi would love to send you an autographed copy of her Church Nanny book. Just get back to me with your address and I will get it in the mail to you right away.

Blessings to you and your family,

Tammy Personal Assistant for Gigi Schweikert

WOW!! You could have knocked me over after getting this email. Makes me glad now that I remembered to credit her book when writing my blog!

Upside -- Getting a personally autographed book from an author that I truly love to read and respect!

Downside -- Well, I can't find one...and that's a good thing!

*********************************


Over the past month, I have found out that 10 of my friends are pregnant. Yes, you read that right -- ten. I know there are more, but I lost track at 10.

Upside -- My friends are having babies and I'm so happy for them!!

Downside -- My friends are having babies and I'm so jealous!! You see, ever since I had Nudgie, I've been struggling with the thought of having a 3rd baby. I feel it so deeply in my soul, but convincing My Marine is the sticky point right now. But I'm at a cross-roads because I'm not sure if I want this baby because my friends are having babies or because I truly want another baby in our family.

Upside -- At least I've been having these feeling BEFORE my friends starting seeing two stripes on the stick!

*********************************


My brain is now tired and I haven't even had my coffee yet! I can hear the coffee pot beeping - signalling that my "crack" is ready for consumption!

Let's hope that today is FULL of upsides!! Blessings to you all this beautiful day!

17 comments:

Charity February 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

Marine gone, and lack of sleep = not cool
signed book = AWESOME!!
10+ friends seeing stripes= wow

lol, sorry couldn't help myself today. You are wanting another baby and I am wondering what is screwed up in my brain to see all the prego bellies, and new babies, and yet I still do not want another baby. Very odd for me! Good luck talking Marine about #3, I hope he agrees with adding to the family!!

Vanessa February 2, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

The Husband has been having to travel for work more often, and I never sleep well when he's gone either. And what's worse (to me) is that he doesn't appreciate that time 'off' that he *does* get. To go to where he sleeps without having to worry about dinner, dishes, laundry, cleaning, etc. Sometimes, *sometimes*, they just don't get it! :-)

Congrats on the autographed book! That's so cool! Here's to more upsides for you!

The Four Week Vegan February 2, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

I about spit my water out when I read:

He ends his phone call with "I'll try to call later honey, but we're having an icebreaker tonight." Translate that into - "It's Happy Hour in the hotel bar and I'll be hanging out with some other soldiers attending the conference - some who I haven't seen since we met up at our layover in Atlanta earlier that afternoon."

You are so very witty!!!

I know those baby feelings. They are so hard to deal with and when friends turn up pregnant it is even harder. Hugs.

Aleta February 2, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

Hi! I'm visiting from HillBilly's blog and you were the blogger of the week, congrats!

I enjoyed this post, very real, with the ups and downs of life. I hope that your Marine isn't gone long. God Bless him for what he does to keep us all safe!

Oh and it could be the "Baby Fever" - it's catchy from what I gather. But wow - 10 friends?! Amazing!

MIG February 2, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

It must really be tough to have your husband gone. I understand the toothbrush thing. Sometimes you just feel you have to do something when you're upset. That's great about the autographed book. Awesome!

Genny February 2, 2010 at 8:52 PM  

I never sleep well when my husband is out of town, either!

Tell your Marine THANK YOU for his service! And thank you too for your sacrafice!

Genny

Buckeroomama February 2, 2010 at 11:46 PM  

My husband travels quite a lot on business, too and the nights when he's away are the nights I sleep really, really late. Just can't seem to sleep well without him. :(

Sandra February 3, 2010 at 12:26 AM  

I need to get my hubby to be a marine... he's home too much!!! LOL!

Lisa February 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

I don't sleep well when my husband is gone either:( and isn't it weird what you catch yourself watching late at night. I'd never watch an infomercial in the middle of the day but late night is a whole other thing.

The pregnancy thing is sickening really, and you're not the only one writing about it either. There are plenty of us that are ready for the next one. If I could have talked my man into it, we would have had 2 or 3 more. So yeah, I feel ya sister!

PS. I routinely leave out the deodorant when I pack for David. It's my act of defiance:) But I think he's onto me.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments February 4, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

Aw! I know that it doesnt help...but I so remember those deployment or training days of separation...

and when he would be at a military school or conferrence and my hubby would say things like..."miss you and wish I was home"...honestly, there were times I would be thinking..."really? 4 star accomodations...and peace and quiet to study to your hearts desire?, no interuptions? and paid meals, that you don't have to whip up?...hm... :o)

...but the reunions were always something to look forward to!

Blessings & Aloha!
(And your "Upsides" are all definitely exciting :o)

....thanks for coming by!

Debbie February 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

Sorry you've been having a rough time. My husband was in the navy and I so understand.
Came over from Friday Follow and I'm a new follower. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Coupon Clippin Mommy February 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

I don't sleep well when my hubby is out of town either. I am going to have to check out the author you mentioned as well. I'm a new follower from Follow Friday. you can find me blogging here: http://www.couponclippinmommy.com/

Counting Coconuts February 5, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

What a heartfelt and honest post. Sorry you're going through a rough patch... sending happy thoughts your way. :)

Btw, I'm following you now thanks to Follow Friday!

~Mari-Ann
Counting Coconuts
www.countingcoconuts.blogspot.com

Anonymous February 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM  

Looks like you are hugging two upsides! Thanks for joining Friday Follow. Glad to have you part of the fun. Rita @ http://one2try.blogspot.com/

1stkidswholesale February 8, 2010 at 5:35 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
HeartsMakeFamilies February 10, 2010 at 12:50 AM  

I can't stand when my husband isn't home yet.

Welcome to the Friday Follow. I'm your newest follower. So glad to have you with us. I'm way behind but here I am.

Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com

Anonymous February 15, 2010 at 8:24 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP