Valentines We All Can Give....

>> Friday, February 5, 2010

The other morning, I dropped Nani off at preschool and found the February monthly newsletter waiting for me in her cubby. I love getting the monthly newsletter. The front page always has some inspiring message and some great ideas for family time and spirituality.

As we all know, the national chocolate holiday is coming up -- Valentine's Day. And I must be one of the only people on the planet that doesn't get all twitterpated over Valentine's Day. Aside from the fact that it is the national holiday for chocolate lover's everywhere, it's really not a big deal to me.



For some, it's all about the chocolate, the jewelry, the flowers, the cards, weddings, engagements, and more. But for us - we shy away from that and we don't do anything special. (My Marine and I went out to dinner once on Valentine's Day BC (Before Children) and we vowed that we'll never do it again. After waiting three hours just to get to the bar to wait for a table, we gave up and drove through Wendy's.)

But think about it. Why is there a special day to profess your love? Isn't that something you're supposed to do every day?

And this is why I loved Nani's preschool newsletter. On the front page was this:

Valentine's We All Can Give
Attention
Approval
Enthusiasm
Patience
Time
Hugs
Warmth
Smiles
A Little Story
Forgiveness
Kisses
Quiet Times
Snuggles
Words of Praise
Play

Now that we have children, Valentine's Day now takes a different meaning. I love to see Nani's excitement because she can give Valentine's to her friends at school. But we also want her to know that there are other gifts that she can give as well.

I don't know about you - but I think I'm going to give a Valentine from this list this year!

9 comments:

Lisa February 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

We haven't went to dinner on Valentine's Day for years....it's better at home anyway:)

This is such a sweet post. I know I could work on giving more of the warm and fuzzies on the list.

Julie February 5, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

Thanks for checking out my blog and following, I am following back !

Courtney February 5, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

Stopping by from Friday Follow! Thanks for the comment! Love your blog! What a cute title & layout :)

Alicia February 5, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

Following you back from Friday Follow, thanks for visiting my blog!

Your post is so true, and something my husband always say...we should focus more every day on what we have...but hey, it is nice to have a reason to eat chocolate =)

Alicia from Coffee Mugs and Sippy Cups
www.coffeeandsippy.blogspot.com

Vanessa February 5, 2010 at 8:53 PM  

That is really sweet! The Husband and I do stuff on Valentine's because a) I'm admittedly high maintenance (though working on it in many areas) and b) my birthday is so close to it, we tie them in together! (Although I always want two separate cards!) :-D

Juliana February 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

What a great post!!


I am a new reader from the FF list. Please come follow back if you would like. I am doing some great giveaways right now and have some great ones coming up! Nice to meet you!

sheila February 6, 2010 at 4:55 AM  

Thanks for following me, I'm returning the favor! :)

This post is good and I couldn't agree more. We really don't make a big deal out of V-D here. Although I do use it as an excuse to devour a candy bar. lol.

Just another day.

The Four Week Vegan February 6, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

Yes, I love all those Valentine's gifts you listed and giving them out daily all year long is really what loving others is about.

Jen February 6, 2010 at 6:29 PM  

that is really cool. I am totally going to do that too. :)

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP