Fabric Covered Easter Eggs

>> Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I wanted to do something a little different for Easter decorations this year.  I was inspired by this post over at V and Co. to make some fabric colored eggs.

I picked up some spring fabric at JoAnn Fabric for a steal.  A lot of the bolts were at the end, so I ended up getting almost double my fabric for an additional 50% off.



Then you'll want to get some plastic Easter eggs.  I got mine at Hobby Lobby for .67 a package, and then they were an additional 50% off!

First thing you'll want to do is cut your fabric to fit wrapping around the egg.  You want to make sure you have enough fabric to also cover the top and bottom on your egg.  My measurement was approximately 4x6 for a medium sized plastic egg.  I made a paper template and pinned it to my fabric so that I was able to cute multiple pieces at once.




Next, you'll want to cut strips (like a comb) on both sides of the fabric (the longer sides that will cover the top and bottom on your egg).  Keeping the middle of the fabric intact.



Then, get the Modge Podge and get messy!  (If you like your kids to get messy, then this is perfect for them.  If not, then this is certainly a mommy-project as this part does get really, really messy and sticky!)  Cover the entire egg generously with Modge Podge.



Then wrap the fabric around the middle of the egg tightly.  Then start folding over all the strips so that they overlap each other, adding more Modge Podge as needed.




Allow to dry completely at least 12 hours.  Then find a pretty basket or container and add some colorful grass.  I found these baskets at Hobby Lobby, regularly priced at $4.99 and they were 50% off.  The grass I found at Michael's which was 40% off as well.  And viola!  A pretty little basket of Easter eggs!






Fun, cute and CHEAP!

3 comments:

Helene April 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

Those are awesome, Jen!! I bet your girls are gonna love them!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun April 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

They are beautiful!! I can't wait to give this a try. What a great idea!

Blondie April 2, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

Those are so cool! I want to make some immediately! It is almost Easter!! :-)

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP