Mommy Brain - Week 1

>> Thursday, April 1, 2010

So I found myself today in yet another embarrassing situation where I lost something.  I noticed that Nudgie was wearing only one shoe when I picked up Nani at preschool.  I looked in the Jeep (or thought I did) and went back into the school to look.  No luck.  Went back to the Jeep only to discover the shoe sitting in the car seat.  I must have picked up that darn shoe twice, looked at it and put it back down.  I guess my brain thought - Oh, is THAT the shoe you were looking for?  I thought you were looking for the white shoe, and not the pink one.  I cursed under my breath that what I had here was a case of Mommy Brain.

I decided that I would have to write another series....this time about Mommy Brain - what is it and how do we combat it.  And combat it we will my friends!

So welcome to my new series.........

Momnesia.  Mommy Brain.

Whatever we call it, as moms we all have it.  We'd all like to get rid of it.  We'd like to find a cure.  Can't you just see it now.  A telethon devoted to Momnesia Awareness.  (Isn't that an oxymoron though?  Awareness of something you can't remember?)

Where was I going with this?

Oh yeah....mommy brain.

It starts from the moment we pee on the stick and see those two lines (or for those of us who have trouble counting, the word "PREGNANT' appears on the stick).  Once you start creating life, those tiny baby cells are sucking the life and brain power right out of you.  (I'm sure there's research somewhere that during an average bout of morning sickness, you are probably throwing up at least 80% of your brain cells!)

Before we had kids, we could remember every single solitary detail of every single solitary moment of our lives.  After kids, we can't even remember what day it is, let alone our kid's names half the time.  (Nudgie!  No, wait... Zoja!  No, wait....  Nani!  Dammit!  Hey you!!)

So, you might suffering from Momnesia if you:

Discover that your cordless phone is dead because you tried to charge it in the base of the baby monitor.

Find that you've lost your morning cup of coffee - again.  Pour yourself another cup and when you go to reheat it, find the original cup of coffee that you've been looking for.

Have a brief thought and run to grab some pen and paper to write it down before it flits away.  Only to forget what your thought was as you get distracted with toys and books on the floor.

Start at least 5 different "To-Do" lists because you keep "misplacing" the ones you've already written.

Take your two dogs to the dog park and only come home with one.  Or worse yet, take your two kids to the park and only come home with one.  Or even better yet - take your kids to the dog park and your dogs to the kid park.

Have misplaced your (insert object here) more times than you care to remember.  (But because you have mommy brain, losing your keys, sunglasses, wallet, etc. is just like losing them for the first time!)

Can't remember if the clothes in the laundry basket are clean or dirty, so you wash the whole pile all over again.  Same goes for the dishwasher.

Have pulled out of your driveway with your coffee, purse, phone, diaper bag, child on the hood/roof of your car.

Find the strangest things in the fridge, and can't remember how (or why) they got there.

You find that you forget even the simplest words - like dog, cat, food, sleep, bathe.

Sound familiar?

But I think we all want to know the answer to that all-important question. 

WILL IT EVER END?  WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO STRING TOGETHER A FULL SENTENCE AND ACTUALLY COMPLETE IT?  WILL I EVER FIND MY SUNGLASSES AGAIN?  (I can tell you that the answer to this one is yes.  You will find them, along with the 8 pairs of replacement sunglasses you bought as well.)

But for tips and techniques for living with Momnesia, you'll have to come back next week and read more!

Next Week:  Bringing Home Baby - Let The Loss of Brain Function Begin!

In the meantime, share your Momnesia moments with us in the comments section. (That is, if you can remember how to type!)

22 comments:

Vanessa April 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM  

I hope I remember to come back and check it out! Good thing you're on my Reader! ;-)

heather@actingbalanced.com April 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM  

mommy brain compounds when you haven't gotten it back after one pregnancy, still can't find your keys or glasses and then get pregnant again... it's so bad this time around that I can't remember my own name some days...

Mamma Sol April 2, 2010 at 6:08 AM  

In the first few weeks after bringing my twins back from the hospital I forgot pacifiers as I was boiling them on the stove to sterilize them. I didn't burn the house down but the smell was awful and I bought a microwave sterilizer! I also kept dreaming I had three children, so when I tried to find them all when I woke up I was all stressed out about not finding the "third" baby!

Now I just keep forgetting appointments and meetings and such. And I have learned to live with the fact that my wallet/sunglasses/keys/IDcard/cell phone/watch/charger simply cannot be all accounted for. And the people working the till at the grocery store know me by now, so they know I sometimes have to leave my bags of food there so I can run back home to pick up my wallet to pay for it all!

One Photo April 2, 2010 at 6:40 AM  

I wrote a post a few weeks ago based on an article I read that claims recent research (headed up by a woman no less!) disproves the theory of Momnesia. I stated that this cannot be true and gave an example of how in my case Momnesia is alive and kicking as on our first ever night out in three years to see a show we ended up at the wrong venue thanks to my Mommy brain! Since then I've written about Momnesia resulting in me losing my bank card and DL (not recommended as getting a replacement DL is a lot of hassle!). My most recent major attack happened the other weekend when I put our camcorder on the tail gate of my husband's truck for "safekeeping" while we were outside playing with our daughter and promptly forgot all about it. So when my husband drove to work on the Monday morning the camcorder no doubt fell off somewhere between home and his office.....

So you are not alone! Any time you feel the need to verify that just read my posts. I can guarantee Momnesia will strike again soon!

Anonymous April 2, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

Oh boy can I relate!!! LOL!

I'm a new follower from Follow me Friday!

Erin April 2, 2010 at 7:26 AM  

I have mommy brain all the time! I'm glad you stopped by and watched Colby's video. It's hard to watch but I feel like he has gone through this for a reason and part of it is to share his story. Sorry you cried! I hope you have a great weekend and I'm following you back.

Stephanie April 2, 2010 at 7:28 AM  

Thanks for stopping by. Always nice to meet new military wives. We don't have kids yet, but I'm sure we will soon. :) Definitely following your blog now! Thanks!

Blondie April 2, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

I tell you what! How come I can remember every word of every song from the 70's but I walk into a room and can't remember why I went there??! Following you back from FF. Thanks so much for stopping by my site!

Chris

http://happytrailsfromcanyon.blogspot.com/

Robin April 2, 2010 at 8:28 AM  

Totally can relate! AND...it was so refreshing to see you looking for that shoe yesterday because it definitely reminded me that I am not alone! Thanks for your transparency!!! =)

Jess April 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

LOL! So that's what we're gonna call it! I like it, Momnesia!!

Following you back!

Stephanie April 2, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

LOL Mommy Brain is a classic:)
Following along through Follow Friday. Hope you have a second to come on over and follow me!
http://howtosurvivelifeinthesuburbs.blogspot.com/

Shell April 2, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

I almost forgot the name of your term that I liked so much by the time I could comment. LOL

Following you from FF.

http://thingsicantsay-shell.blogspot.com

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas April 2, 2010 at 5:55 PM  

Hi..I'm From Friday Follow...I'm new to this but have found such wonderful people doing these parties & link ups. I wish the rest of the world could be as uplifting & supportive to each other as I have experienced.. I hope you can pop over to my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com & find some inspiration for your family/home...I hope you will become a follower too! Happy Easter!! Barb
P.S. Hope to have my own link party April 12th “My Creative Space Monday” @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
…..Hope you will join up, too.

veterankindergartenteacher April 2, 2010 at 6:36 PM  

I am here from FF and am now following you. I hope you follow me back. Happy Easter.

Judy April 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM  

Hi! I too am a sufferer of Momnesia! My husband is always ready when I need him to fill in the blank for a word I've forgotten.
I found your blog through Friday Follow and am now following.
I would love it if you stopped by my blog: What I Live For
Have a great weekend!

Carrie April 2, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

hilarious! what a great idea for a series! i have a post to publish soon called "mommy hangover". Loved the wife series. this one will definitely be great!

Michelle Faith April 2, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

Happy FF, new follower here! I love meeting new blogging friends, hope you can stop by soon.

Kim April 3, 2010 at 3:26 AM  

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am following.

melaniet42 April 3, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Love it. I can so relate! My favorite take on the "to do" list is making a grocery list, remembering to take it to the store, getting half the things on the list based on what we actually NEED, then tossing the list (that still had half the items that we're almost out of on it). I've done this so much lately! I used to be awesome at never running out of stuff...now, not so much!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP