Momma-Robics

>> Friday, March 26, 2010

I want to get in shape. I really do. I want to lose weight as much as the next person. I got hooked on The Biggest Loser this season and love that show. These people are struggling to lose hundreds of pounds and I complain about losing my baby weight (from two babies, but that's a post for another day).  It was time to stop complaining and start doing.

I bought The Biggest Loser cookbooks, I stocked my fridge with healthy foods, and I bought Jillian Michaels' 30-Shred DVD.


Let me pause here for a minute to say that Jillian is Satan...or maybe just Satan's girlfriend.  She is evil.  She is cruel.  But she gets results - even if it means crippling you in the process.


After huffing and puffing my way through one of her workouts, I was laying on the floor crying in pain and gulping every breath into my burning lungs basking in the afterglow of a good workout when I realized, I don't need Jillian.  I don't need Tae-Bo.  I don't need the PX90 or WD40 or whatever the heck it's called.

I'm a mom.  And mom's have their own workout -- unique just to them!

Mommy Stairmaster:

Run up the stairs to get something.  Once you get there, forget what you ran up there for in the first place.  Run all the way back downstairs to check on the kids, only to remember what you needed in the first place.  Run back upstairs.  (Repeat throughout the day as needed.)

For added resistance you can do this exercise while hauling laundry baskets or a small child with a blowout dripping down her leg.





Hurdles:

Survey the piles of books, magazines, laundry that you have randomly stacked on the floor throughout the house.  You can also include Lego towers, boxes of games and puzzles as well.  As you go throughout your day and find yourself near one of these piles, do a couple jumps over them while reciting "Jack Be Nimble"



Butt Blaster:

Put baby in sling and proceed to do squats throughout the house picking up smashed up cookies, stray Barbie shoes, barrettes, socks and other misc. items.



Resistance Training:

Change the sheets in the baby's crib.  Grab a clean baby sheet - which is always somehow a tad bit shorter than the actual mattress.  Wrestle with sheet and mattress until you've broken a good sweat.


Stroller Aerobics:
Wrangle baby out of straps and place child in car seat (which, for some moms - putting a child in their car seat could be a substitute for stroller aerobics).  Prepare to collapse stroller.  Lunge while looking for latch that collapses stroller.  Stand up, take a breath, and lunge again.  This time, drop to your knees and do a modified push-up while still looking for latch.  Stand up, take a breath.  Stretch calves while simultaneously kicking stroller.  Work out triceps by grabbing stroller handles and shaking vigorously.  Repeat until you collape in a sweaty heap (with stroller still intact) or stroller mysteriously collapses causing you to fall on cold hard cement.

 
And there you have it mamas!!  Our own workout - just for us!  Save your money on gym memberships and DVDs.  Grab your kids and start working out!  Because swimsuit weather is coming soon!

12 comments:

Beth Zimmerman March 26, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

That was adorable! It's been a few years since those were common activities in our household but I totally agree with you! Great workout! :)

One Photo March 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM  

I loved your previous Friday series but this is great too. I HATE wrestling with the clean crib sheet - why do they shrink every time you wash them? I would add wrestling the stroller back into the boot of your car is a workout too, especially when like me you but the heaviest stroller on the market thinking it is sturdier and therefore safer for your baby! I totally agree going up and down the stairs a million times a day is a pretty good workout, especially with a three year old who still prefers Mommy to "carry you" even though she now weighs 35lbs! Great post. Have a great weekend.

Brandy March 26, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

Ha, ha! What a cute post :)

Thanks for visiting my blog, can't wait to learn more about you!

Brandy!

melaniet42 March 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

Love the Resistance Training! What the heck is it with those darn itty-bitty crib sheets?!? I swear I used to break a sweat every time!

Shannon March 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

Couldn't agree more! Great post!

Show Me Mama March 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love the idea of running up and down the stairs while holding your children. Great idea. :) Love it.

Have a great weekend!

Simply Mel March 27, 2010 at 5:34 AM  

I agree...very cute post! But it's true, taking care of the kiddies is a workout!

Joni March 27, 2010 at 6:55 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joni March 27, 2010 at 6:58 AM  

Love your ideas for losing weight even if they are funny they are definitely great for losing weight. I would love to have you do a guest post over at my place sometime. Come check out my Fat Butt Friday. I would love to hear your feedback on some great ideas.

http://sixcherriesontop.blogspot.com/search/label/Fat%20Butt%20Friday

Happy Mom! March 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

Loved your post. :) Following you via follow me Friday.
Can't wait to read more. :)

The Four Week Vegan March 29, 2010 at 6:18 AM  

Hehehe - very cute. I'm doing the 30 Day Shred. It really is a great workout.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP