What My Girls Are Reading - 3/27

>> Saturday, March 27, 2010

 
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him - Maya Angelou



Over at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns, they do a weekly post of what they are reading.  (She also has some fantastic ideas and resources for the kiddies as well.  You really should go and check it out!)

We love to read here. There are books everywhere in our house and the library loves us because we are in sometimes twice a week and just about always reach our limit with checked out books.  So I thought I'd share some of the fun books we've read over the past week!

In One, Two , Three O'Leary, the 10 O'Leary children are tucked into a large bed by their parents. As soon as they leave the room, however, the children begin to bounce on the bed to a series of rhythmic rhymes ("Ibble obble,/Blue bottle,/Ibble obble OUT!")  Each poem ends with one of the children landing on the floor. Eventually, every young O'Leary is "OUT," and then the parent come in to join the action. In the end, the little ones return to bed. Reading this book reminded me of those hand games I used to play as a kid.  Nani didn't like this book so much and quickly became bored with it.



In Sally Goes to the Vet, A cute little black Labrador, named Sally, plays chasing games with her friend, Bingo, the cat. When she is injured, her human rushes her to the vet. When she gets home she cuddles with Bingo to tell her about the veterinary escapade. Huneck manages to infuse some humor into this potentially traumatic episode. He also portrays the doctor visit in such a way that kids should feel reassured by it.  We checked this book out shortly after Mitzi had her accident.  It gave Nani a good idea of what a vet does and how Mitzi was being well taken care of.  She really enjoyed this book.


In Take Care, Good Knight, a friendly old wizard asks three loveable little dragons to watch his cats while he is gone.  Later, we find the three dragons unable to read his illustrated instructions.  They decide to guess at the words, and use clues from the pictures he has drawn, but they wildly mistake his meanings which result in some hilarious misunderstandings until the Good Knight comes to help them out.

I LOVED this book!  The story was cute, the little dragons were so adorable that I just wanted to squeeze them, and the pictures were colorful as well.  Both Nani and Nudgie loved this book so much that we went to Paperback Swap to order our copy!


In A Cold Winter's Good Knight, the three adorable baby dragons are back with another adventure!  This time they are shiivering in their cave until they are rescued by the Good Knight and taken back to the castle where a fancy ball is being held.  The Good Knight reminds them to behave and use their manners, but unfortunately, these little dragons don't know what manners are and cause a series of incidents that disrupt the party. The Good Knight steps in to teach the little dragons the meaning of manners and the party continues with three well-behaved dragons.

I just love this series - period!  The message of this book is clear -- manners are important!



In The Copy Crocs, crocodile lives in a pool of water with many other crocodiles.  He likes his home, but grows tired of being pushed, prodded, and crowded by the other crocs, so he sets out to find his own private space. Each time he discovers a tranquil place, his friends find him and copy his discovery. Finally, Crocodile returns to his original pool and finds that he misses the friends. He is happy when they return and subsequently each time he slips away on his own, he is pleased when they eventually join him.

Very cute and colorful book that we read over and over!
 
 
So what have you read this week?

9 comments:

Cindy March 27, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

I have never heard of the Good Knight series. We will have to look for it at the library. Anything that encourages good manners is great!

An Almost Unschooling Mom March 27, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

Oh, I hope our library has the Good Knight series, it looks wonderful!

Debbie March 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM  

I will have to see if I can find the Good Knight series. Those look like some good reads. Thank you for sharing.

Shannon March 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

Being a Florida Gator fan, can't help but want to check out The Copy Crocs. My husband loves to read to GG before bed. He'll be thrilled to have another book to add to the collection! Thanks for sharing!

Beth Zimmerman March 27, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

Oh, I love children's books! In fact I love most any books! I have been a voracious reader from the get go. (Flashlight under the covers as a child, carried a book with me EVERYWHERE like others carried a security blanket, etc.) Books were my constant companions, my friends, my escape when I needed one. In short I LOVED books and I wanted so much to give that gift to my children. The youngest was my biggest challenge. He loved books but not reading. Dyslexia and a processing disorder made reading too much work to be a joy. Reading aloud provided many wonderful hours but we needed some other options to expand his literary horizons and wound up building a HUGE library of audio books! To me they will never be the same as a book I could hold in my hands but they gave him the same love of literature without the struggle and I am grateful. Also made bedtime as breeze as he was always looking forward to hearing the next chapter or two! :)

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea March 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

Some great books - !! Love your blog, so cute and fun. I'm going to follow!

Pathfinder Mom March 27, 2010 at 11:49 AM  

I've never seen Paperbook Swap - what a fabulous idea! Thanks!

Natalie PlanetSmarty March 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

I've never heard of Good Knight series before, and now it goes on my Must-Find-In-the-Library list. Thanks for joining and sharing your terrific picks!

Janna March 28, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

OH a good jump on the bed never gets old:)

FYI- I really enjoyed your post and wanted to let you know that you could link this same post to a similar meme that I host called Feed Me Books Friday where moms share 1-5 bks they are enjoying with their children.

No pressure but if you like to "kill 2 birds with one stone" I thought I'd mention it. Take care!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP