Children Are A Gift From The Lord

>> Sunday, April 11, 2010


Lately, I've been impatient with my kids. Hearing them, but not really listening them. Seeing them, but not really seeing them. My words of late have been, "clean your room", "not now, maybe tomorrow", "mommy's busy right now"

Looking back and reflecting on that after reading that verse this morning made me so sad. I don't have many tomorrows left. Danjela is 5 -- she'll be 6 in December. How many more days do I have left where she'll want to color with me or play dolls with me or play a game with me? Nadija is a walking, talking cyclone. How many more days do I have left where she will want me to hold her and rock her?

I love my girls with all my heart and soul. But sometimes, I feel that being a mom gets in the way of being a mom - if that makes sense. I get so wrapped up in laundry, cleaning, cooking that I forget to take the time to read, color, play.

So for today, I will look upon my girls as the gift from God that they truly are. I will take the extra minute to sit and read or color or play a game. The laundry can wait -- but my time with my girls can't.

12 comments:

Missy | Literal Mom April 11, 2010 at 5:21 AM  

Awesome post - and very good timing for me, as well! Thanks for sharing.

Jackie April 11, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

Great post! I am very impatient with my son too. Yesterday I didn't even want to take him bike riding because I had tons to do at home. I ended up being glad I did because I was able to talk to him on the long ride (and really listen), and then we went to the park and he had a blast. That made my day even better! And, I got everything done after he went to bed anyway.
Thank you for sharing this verse.

Carly April 11, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

I think you say it best being a mom get s inthe way of being a mom. Wondeful post.

Buckeroomama April 11, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

Great post. Yes, sometimes being a mom does get in the way of being Mommy --the kind that my kids really need.

One Photo April 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

Great post and you are so right, all those must do Mommy tasks get in the way all too often of what is really important. It is hard to stop yourself sometimes but so important to step on the brakes and just enjoy the here and now. It will over with so quickly.

Stephanie April 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

HI There. Just came ovefr from MBC and entered one of your fab book giveaways! Hope you have a second to pop over to my blog.

I totally get what you mean when you say being a Mom gets in the way of being a Mom. It's so hard not to get cuaght up in all the things I have to do, I must remember my twlo little girls don't really care if the floor is a bit sticky or the counter is a mess! lol

Nice to meet you.

Angela April 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

Sometimes I feel like I go in "self-preservation" mode, where I'm not really hearing them or seeing them, but I'm still physically present. Yep, not good enough! Good read!

Helene April 11, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

This is a very wisely written post...and as always, very well timed!

Carrie April 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

God must be speaking to us moms today! I am going to link to you post from mine, okay? Hope you had a great day with your kids!

Vanessa April 11, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

Beautiful post! This has been on my heart lately, and I've really tried to play with my girls more! You are so right, the time will come when they'll be off doing their own things, and I don't want to miss my chance to have quality moments with them!

Marci Goodwin April 11, 2010 at 10:41 PM  

Love this post! That has so been my heart lately. I need to see my children as the gifts they are and realize this season passes too quickly. My children are 9 and 5 and I want them to stay little, but they keep growing! I need to pay attention and be present.

Erin @ Closing Time April 12, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

These days when they are little fly by so quickly! I need to stop and enjoy them, too!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP