Recipes, Recipes, and More Recipes!

>> Wednesday, September 1, 2010


*********************************

I normally don't post a lot of recipes.  Actually, I don't think I've ever posted any!  When I was planning my weekly menus, I decided to shake things up a bit -- step out of the boring routine of the typical "grill meat" menu.  So, I dug into the overflowing ziploc bag I had full of recipes I challenged myself to prepare at least 4 new meals for my family.  My Marine's goofy schedule sometimes throws a wrench into the meal planning, but overall, it's not going to badly. 

I've posted my meals on my Facebook page and a couple of things have gotten overwhelming requests for recipes.  So, I'm sharing my menu plan and recipes for the past few days!  Anything with an asterisk (**) indicates something new I've made for my family!

*********************************

Saturday
Gyros (meat, bread, and sauce purchased from the Sprouts Market)
Greek Potatoes**

Recipe for Greek Potatoes:

6 potatoes - peeled, quartered
1/3 cup olive oil

2T minced garlic (you can use more or less to taste)
2T Greek seasoning
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
ground black pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until soft, but not falling apart.  Drain and pour into casserole dish
Mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, Greek seasoning and pepper
Pour over potatoes and mix well
Bake at 350 until potatoes are hot and a little crispy

*********************************

Sunday
Roast in crock pot with 2 cans of French Onion soup
Mashed potatoes
Corn
Pistachio cake**

Recipe for Pistachio Cake:

1 box white cake mix
1 box pistachio pudding
4 eggs
1 C 7-Up
1/2 C oil

Mix above ingredients and pour into a 13x9 cake pan.  Bake at 325 until done (about 30 min.)  Test with toothpick. 

Let cool and ice

Pistachio Cake Icing Recipe:

Mix 2 packs of Dream Whip, adding vanilla and milk as it reads on the package.  After peaks have formed, add 1 box of pistachio pudding.  Ice and chill in fridge.

*********************************

Monday:
Shepherd's Pie**

Shepherd's Pie Recipe:

Mashed potatoes
1-2 lbs. ground lamb (or ground meat.  I used ground lamb)
1 6oz. can tomato sauce
1 can green beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
2 T parsley
1 dash Worcestershire sauce (I did one big circle around my skillet)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 T flour
2 T milk
1/2 C - 1 C shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 350

Prepare mashed potatoes, set aside. 

Brown ground meat and drain excess fat.  Once fat is drained, add tomato sauce, parsley, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and green beans.  In a separate bowl, mix the flower with 3T of water and stir into the beef mixture.

Layer ground meat in casserole dish.  Add canned corn, then mashed potatoes on top.  Place 2-3 vent holes through the mashed potatoes.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Brush milk over potatoes and sprinkle with cheese.  Place back in oven for another 5-10 minutes.

*********************************

Tuesday

My Marine was flying Tuesday night, so I didn't make a full dinner from my menu.  The girls and I had some leftover Shepherd's Pie - which tastes even better, I think, reheated!  I was hosting my MOPS Bible Study that night, so as a snack, I made a Pistachio Salad**

Recipe for Pistachio Salad:
(This recipe is for a 13x9 casserole dish)

2 packages of pistachio pudding
4 cans of mandarin oranges (2 cans drained and cut up; Reserve 2 cans for topping)
2 jars of maraschino cherries (drained and cut up)
2 cans crushed pineapple (undrained)
1 med. container of Cool Whip (10-12 oz.)
1 8 oz. container of sour cream
Chopped pistachios or walnuts for topping

Stir pudding mix and pineapple until well mixed.  Add oranges and cherries.  In a separate bowl, mix Cool Whip and sour cream.  Once mixed, fold into fruit mixture.  Mix well and pour into 13x9 casserole dish.

Top with 2 cans of mandarin oranges (drained) and sprinkle with nuts.  Chill for up to 2 hours before serving.

*********************************

Stay tuned for more menus and recipes!!

5 comments:

Christy Killoran September 1, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

YUM! I love gyros! I'll have to try the Greek potatoes. I love pistachio cake too, but I have never made it. How funny that it has 7Up in it!

Jennifer Haas September 1, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

When can I come over for dinner? just kidding, what yummy meals!!!

Kitty Deschanel September 2, 2010 at 3:06 AM  

Ooh, you should post recipes more often! These all sound delicious (especially at 3am when I am STARVING but can't exactly do any cooking!)

Buckeroomama September 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

The pistachio cake sounds divine! :)

best cook September 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

Love your Recipe for Greek Potatoes!!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP