No-Sew Thanksgiving Place Settings

>> Thursday, November 18, 2010

I realized that as I was decorating for Thanksgiving, that I didn't have any place settings to match the season.  I have Halloween and Christmas.  I even have 4th of July and Easter - but no Thanksgiving.  So I decided to be a bit creative and try my hand at making my own.

I had some larger pieces of craft foam (about 11x17) that I dug out of my supply.  I went to The Dollar Tree and found a package of extra large hair rollers.  I found the wooden accents at Hobby Lobby and the fabric at JoAnn Fabrics.


So, I cut my fabric so that it was just a little bigger than my piece of foam - allowing about a 1" border all the way around.  I cut 2 pieces so that one would cover the front and then a second piece would cover the back.



Then I took my scissors and cut diagonal in the fabric at the corners.


Then using Fabric Tack fabric glue, I folded the edges over, gluing them to the foam.




Then I took the second piece of fabric and glued it to the back, covering the foam and the edges.  (For some reason I didn't get a photo of this step.)

And that was the placemat!

For the napkin rings, I took the hair roller and cut a piece of fabric so that it covered the whole thing.  I allowed for about another 1" border on either side as well.


I then rolled the fabric over the roller and secured the ends with a combination of hot glue and the fabric glue.  Once that step was done, I then went around the edges and cut strips (kind of like flower petals) all the way around.  Then I folded each "petal" down inside the roller and secured it with hot glue.


The final touch was hot glueing the wood accent to the front of the napkin ring.  And viola!  No-sew place settings!



6 comments:

Melissa N. November 18, 2010 at 4:22 AM  

WOW jennifer, so cute! I would have never thought of the hair rollers...great idea!

Teresa Choplin @ tchoplin2009(at)gmail(dot)com November 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

Following you from the blog hop!
Love the information, you have here!
You have very creative and awesome ideas.
Please come check my blog out at http://www.nontypicalmom.com/

Tchoplin2009@gmail.com
Have a great day!

MaryAnne November 18, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

This is very clever, and it looks really nice!

Deb Chitwood November 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

Great idea! And it's wonderful that it doesn't even require sewing!
http://LivingMontessoriNow.com

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP