5 Days of Crafting: Day #4 - Reading Chart and Journal

>> Sunday, March 27, 2011

As you know, I am a HUGE reader.  I will read anything I can get my hands on.  My Marine - yeah....he's a reader too but he's more into the sports and war books - which is ok because at least our daughters still see him reading.  (Although he does have a bad habit of flipping through the book and reading random chapters.  Drives me up a freakin' wall!!)

I like to think I'm raising readers.  Nani is already reading at a first grade level and Nudgie can frequently be seen buried by surrounded by books in our little reading corner.

So, for spring, I decided to make a reading chart for the girls.  We did one last summer, so I just recycled the poster board and used the back.  I had some bulletin board edging leftover from another project and just reused that.  I also had some blank flowers that we'll be using to write down the names of the books that we read.



In addition to the reading chart, I created a little reading journal for Nani.  I found something very similar here, but in order to download it, you had to subscribe to their website and I just didn't want to pay $23.00 for a subscription.  So I made my own.  The reading journal has places for her to write the the name of the book, the author and illustrator, some words from the book, her favorite part and a section for her to draw a picture from the book.  Almost like a mini book report!  (I did it in Word on legal sized paper and printed it on both sides.)

My plan is to have her pick one book a week that she'll write about.  My hope is that it will help improve her vocabulary, writing skills, and comprehension.

If you like the idea and would like to use it, feel free to download page 1 here and page 2 here!  I won't charge a subscription fee....but I do ask that you please just link back to my post!




I plan on starting tomorrow since Nani's on Spring Break this week.  Stay tuned for our first week of reading!


Photobucket

7 comments:

MaryAnne March 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM  

What a great way to encourage your girls to read! None of my kids read, yet, but I'll keep this in mind for when they start! And maybe we should do something to help remember the books we read aloud together (something like your bulletin board, perhaps?)

dizzytina March 29, 2011 at 6:24 AM  

This is a lovely idea. My little girl loves reading and i think i may have to try and do something siimilar. Thanks so much for sharing tina x x http://scratchycatcrafter.blogspot.com

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} March 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM  

You've made the 1st teacher in me BEAM with this post. If all parents invested this much energy and time in instilling a love of reading, schools wouldn't have such a tough time!

I'd LOVE if you could share this with my readers tonight @Creative Juice Thursday. Party starts @ 7pm CST. Get your crafting shoes on. Hope to see you there...

Elle Belles Bows March 31, 2011 at 6:32 PM  

Great idea!! Thanks for sharing!

Kerri

Sew Can Do April 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

This would be ideal for my 5yr old. Thanks for linking to the Kids Can Craft party:)

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} April 5, 2011 at 5:51 AM  

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday. Hope to see you back this week!

Natalie PlanetSmarty April 7, 2011 at 10:33 PM  

This is an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing your printable, it's really neat! I doubt that daughter will want to write, but maybe I can capture her thoughts for now.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP