5 Days of Crafting: Day #3 - Rainbow Rice

>> Sunday, March 27, 2011

I'm a little behind with posting our 5 Days of Crafting.  My mom is coming to visit on Wednesday so I've been frantically cleaning so that I'll pass the white glove test -- which I won't -- so why bother, right?  Because it's my mom and within 5 minutes of being in the door she'll start in on me about why is the laundry not folded.

But anyway......

I'm taking a few minutes away from folding laundry to share our Day #3 craft - rainbow rice.

I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but I finally got my act together and spent a couple hours after the kids were in bed coloring rice.


Big bag of rice.  About 1 cup of rice in a glass bowl

Add a few drops of food coloring and about a tablespoon of vinegar

Spread on wax paper on a baking sheet


Put in oven at around 250 for about 20 minutes.  Just to let it dry and let the color seep in.


I'd been saving the shaker spice bottles and had just enough for the rainbow colors.
The extra rice, I put into Tupperware for easy storage and refilling

Friday, after school, I printed out some pictures for the girls to decorate with the rice.  They were actually quiet for about an hour and -- wait for it -- didn't fight!





They had a pretty good time and my vacuum got a good workout sucking up the extra rice!

To see our Day #1 craft, click here.  To see my Day #2 craft, click here.

13 comments:

Stacie March 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM  

Ohhh I love the idea of the rainbow rice. My daughter would get a kick out of that.

Elle Belles Bows March 27, 2011 at 2:49 PM  

SUPER idea on placing it in the shakers! Very clever!

Kerri

Deborah March 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM  

Super cute - lots of texture in those pictures for sure!

Helene March 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM  

Oh Jen, I absolutely LOVE this!!!!!! I'm soooooo gonna do this with my kids, I know they'll have a blast!

Would you mind if I shared this in an e-newsletter that I publish with two friends (linking to your blog, of course!)

Anonymous March 27, 2011 at 10:50 PM  

Great idea! My girls are going to enjoy this project!! Thanks!

Andrea
www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

Amanda March 28, 2011 at 1:16 AM  

Such a wonderful idea, I just know my two boys would try to eat it! But it looks like a very fun thing to do I might just try it with them, thanks for sharing.

MaryAnne March 28, 2011 at 12:23 PM  

The spice bottle idea was brilliant! I love their pictures!

Alison @ mommadidit.blogspot.com March 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM  

What a fun idea. I cleaned my pantry and found several bags of rice. Now I have something to use it for!

Unknown March 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM  

I think my toddler would love this! Live the shaker idea.

Amie {Kitty Cats and Airplanes} March 29, 2011 at 3:47 PM  

This is great! Love it as an alternative for colored sand. Same affect, a lot less messy. Great work!

Cathy @ NurtureStore April 3, 2011 at 2:57 PM  

Oh this is way more fun than folding laundry! Lovely to see you at the Play Academy - thanks for linking up!

Sew Can Do April 4, 2011 at 6:19 PM  

My kids would love this & I can think of loads of ways to use it. Thanks for linking to the Kids Can Craft party:)

Tracey M. April 4, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

Haven't been over to say hello in too long! I LOVE the rainbow rice and that they used glue to make pictures with it. So pretty and creative.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP