Nani's Scrapbook (Thrift Store Makeover!)

>> Tuesday, June 7, 2011

All through her year of Kindergarten, Nani had to write these little stories for homework.  I think I managed to keep every single one of them -- and of course don't have the heart to throw them away.  I wanted to find a way to keep them - something different from tossing them in a box.  So, I decided to make a scrapbook where I can put all her stories.


As I was browsing through our local ARC thrift store, I saw this scrapbook.  Kinda beat up and scuffed on the outside, but the pages were intact - and on a 50% off day, it was only $1.


After I got it home, I took it apart and dug through my fabric stash (hoping I had enough to cover the front and back!)  I lucked out when found a cute pink and purple polka dot pattern buried in the bottom of my fabric drawer (which would thrill Nani because it's pink and purple!) 

I also decided to paint the binding (where the ribbon would go) with a scrunched up rag.



Then I hot glued the fabric to the covers.



For the front cover, I used a piece of felt, some floral buttons for embellishment, and some iron on letters that I scored at Jo-Ann's for .97.


I couldn't wait to start putting her stories in there!



Total cost = $1.97

Scrapbook - $1.00
Iron-On Letters - .97
Fabric, felt, and glue - Already on hand

Preserving memories = PRICELESS!


Todays Creative Blog


8 comments:

Christy Killoran June 7, 2011 at 4:49 AM  

Very nice!!!!!!! R loves pink and purple too!

Mass Hole Mommy June 7, 2011 at 8:43 AM  

That's awesome. I am sooooo bahind on my scrapbooks. I guess I need to stop doing so much with the kids so I don't get so behind. LOL.

MaryAnne June 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM  

I love the makeover, and Nani must be thrilled!

Jenn Rian June 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM  

Adorable, as usual! She'll really appreciate that you've saved these things for her. I have a ton of stuff from my childhood, but most of it I had to squirrel away myself. My mom's a throw-away-er, so I know a ton of that stuff is long gone. One good thing is these days we have so many more options of being able to scan things and take digital photos of them to save when we just can't keep one more piece of paper. I'm already hard at work scanning in little things of Adaline's so that I can preserve them for her :)

frillsfluffandtrucks June 7, 2011 at 9:11 PM  

What a wonderful keepsake! I would love it if my children had homework assignments like that!

~ Sarah

Terry June 12, 2011 at 7:58 AM  

Great job! I love to alter things too! Please come over and link up to my party!

Dollar Store Merchandise October 6, 2011 at 4:32 AM  

Total cost = $1.97

Awesome!

You've got a cool site. Our readers will surely love the finds on your site. Keep them rolling!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP