>> Sunday, June 5, 2011
My Marine leaves today for a
party-down vacation month-long training course in Texas. In just a few short hours I will be dropping him off at the airport where he will fly, fly away -- alone.....unaccompanied by children. Did I mention that we also have some Marine Corps friends now living there and My Marine is hoping to see them while he's down there?
While he's been gone for short trips at a time, this will be the longest he's been gone since he had to attend a 2 month training about a year ago. Overall, I can't complain too much.....
Oh wait - sure I can! Let's look at this realistically, shall we?
1) He's leaving me for a month.....alone....with the kids......on summer vacation......
2) He's going to have 30 days of blissful uninterrupted sleep....in a bed that's magically made for him every morning. (Not that he doesn't get the bed-making here at home.....)
3) He's going to be partying down with our friends and participating in nightly Happy Hours while I'm scraping macaroni and cheese of my shirt and trying to figure out how to get the dog to stop eating poop.
4) I have to cut the grass by myself and then figure out the complex watering/sprinkler system so that I put them back EXACTLY as he set them up. Pray that he doesn't come home to patches of green and the majority of the yard dead brown.
5) Clean up dog poop. Hey either I could let the dog take care of that...(ewww....) or......Hey! Nani! Want to earn $10???
6) He will be networking with people who ARE NOT named "Cinderella", "Jasmine," "Pocahontas", "Fluttershy", "Pinkie Pie" and "Rainbow Dash" -- and IF he does -- we're going to have to have a LONG talk when he gets home.
7) He will be participating in adult conversations that don't include the words, "Noooooo!!!!!", "My Little Pony", "Super Grover", and "Look at me! Mommy look at me! Mooooommmmmmyyyyyyy!!! Looooookkkkk Atttttttt Meeeeeeee!"
8) I'm just waiting for the inevitable sickness that always seems to pop up whenever he goes away. I'm armed with Vitamin C and antibacterial sprays and hand gels. I'm making the girls wash their hands every 15 minutes. (But mommy, my hands are all wrinkly! Good - that means the antibacterial hand gel will fill the wrinkles thereby providing much longer protection!)
There are some pros, though.......
1) The whole bed and remote to myself - to watch whatever I want. Our TV will not even see "The History Channel" or "Military Channel" or any sports channel for the next 30 days.
2) Eating whatever I want for dinner. Coco Puffs and a bowl of ice cream? Have at it!
3) Laundry is cut by 75%!
4) While my grocery bill will also be cut in half, the beer budget will probably double. Both a pro and a con.
No, I'm not bitter at all! Just counting down the days until he comes home!!!