10 Things That Make Me Happy

>> Thursday, August 25, 2011


Over the summer, I recently stumbled across author, Marybeth Whalen's book, "She Makes It Look Easy" (review to come in a later post).  I found her on Facebook and immediately became a fan.  During the month of August, she challenged us on her page with a different question.  Yesterday's question was to write down 10 things that make me happy and why.  After thinking about it a bit, I thought this would be a good blog post for me to write  --  and ease back into blogging after a summer hiatus!

************************

1)  'Nuff said.  If you need an explanation, then you just need to leave my blog and go home.  (Just kidding!)



2)  Crafting
There's a lot of reasons that crafting makes me happy.  I love seeing something in it's beginning stages and then seeing the end result - knowing that I was the one who created it.  I love having that time, all to myself, when I'm in my own little world.  It's my time, my escape, my therapy.  Plus I just love giving away the stuff I've made!

3)  Starbucks
Yes, it's expensive and adds up.  And while I've cut back on my Starbucks addiction, there is just something about going through the drive-thru and picking up a cup of my favorite "crack in a cup" -- Grande Cinnamon Dolce Latte with 3 pumps of white mocha.  (Try it sometime -- you'll LOVE it!)

4)  Military Spouses
Over the summer I've had the privilege of forming new friendships with some other military wives, as well as strengthening relationships with friendships already in place.  Whether it's just a message or two over Facebook or meeting for coffee or dinner and a movie, these relationships truly make me happy.  I know that God placed these women into my life at the times that He did for a reason.  I have much to learn from all of them and I am so blessed to have them in my life.  I want nothing more than to give them the same love and support and encouragement that they have given me.

5)  Zoja
My stupid, brain-damaged German Shepherd Zoja always gives me a reason to smile.  Whether she's chasing her tail in endless circles, laying on her back in the grass trying to chew her paws, or just laying on the couch next to me in a curled up ball - she always makes me laugh.  (Ok, except when she gets into the trash or pees on the floor when she thinks she's going to get yelled at.....)

6)  Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh is my home town.  I'm a Steel-town girl born and bred.  I love my city and I miss it terribly.  I miss driving through the neighborhoods and seeing Black 'n' Gold hung EVERYWHERE!  I miss Primanti's sandwiches.  I miss Friday nights at the Serbian club and big nights at the Bulgarian club.  I miss the Folk Festival.  (Again - a post for another time).  I miss Kennywood Park.  I miss the Pittsburgh skyline.  Unfortunately, we weren't able to make it back home this summer -- and it broke my heart.  But for the short time that we were planning it, my soul was just singing with the thought of going home again.

7)  Music
Any kind of music makes me happy.  I've recently been listening to a lot of worship music and have found that, at the right time, the right song comes on with a message that I need to hear the most.  I also love some good ole' 80's rock.  I'm a child of the 80's too, so you can still find the Scorpions, old Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Warrant, Def Leppard and many many more on my iPod.  I also love some good dance music, a lot of recent hard rock, country -- and, oh heck -- just about the only kind of music I DON'T like is rap.

8)  Books/Reading
Not only do I have an addiction to crafting and Starbucks.  I also have an addiction to reading.  I suppose it could be worse.  I have books everywhere in my home.  My girls always see me with a book or reading a magazine.  I love reading and I love to read to my girls.  I could spend hours browing the bookstore or the library, just building an even bigger list of books I want to read.  At this rate, I'll need two more lifetimes!

9)  Road Trips
I've always loved road trips.  We didn't take many as a child, but in college, I was on the road almost every weekend.  I love getting in the car and driving.  Better yet, I love being DRIVEN.  Then I can just pop in some good music, stare out the window and zone out.  It's hypnotic watching the scenery just whiz by you over and over again.  To me, it's a form a meditation....a way of getting deep into thought.....and a way of seeing God's beautiful creations. 

10)  Happiness
This may sound silly, but happiness makes me happy.  Seeing my girls smile and hearing them laugh.  Seeing My Marine happy.  Friends and family happy.  When they are happy, then I am happy.  And if I contributed, even a little, to that happiness then it makes me all the more happier.  Kind of makes me sound like a grinning village idiot, doesn't it?  But who cares.....it's my list, so deal with it..... 

So that's it.  There's certainly more to add to that list -- like snow days, Christmas, snuggling with My Marine, a good sale, and much, much more.  But these are the most important to me.

So, what's your 10?

3 comments:

MaryAnne August 25, 2011 at 5:20 AM  

What a great list! I'm definitely with you on 1, 2, 7, 9, and 10. Then there's the beginning of fall (gorgeous in New England!), having a home (that we're beautifying with new floors!!!), friends, books on CD (I have a hard time making time to read them in print, so the recorded option is very nice!), and teachers who care for and help my kids!

Anonymous August 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM  

Those are some really great things to be happy about! I'm with you on just about all of them. I'm not a military wife, but I am a military mom. Glad to have found your blog and look forward to reading more!

Christina
http://spilledmilkshake.com

Sweet Carolina Grace August 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM  

I just found your blog from the Mil Spouse Weekly Round-Up. I'm totally a new follower! Love the blog & love this post! :)

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP