Six Degrees of Military Service

>> Friday, November 11, 2011

This morning, while I was checking out all the Veteran's Day "thank you" posts on Facebook, I was suddenly struck by how wide my circle has expanded thanks to the military.  When My Marine first expressed interest in joining the military, I was oblivious.  I loved him.  I wanted what he wanted even if it meant moving away from my family.

After close to 16 years of service, I say with pride - the military is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

It was tough at first.  But when I went through a deployment by myself with my first baby (then 8 months old when My Marine left), I realized that I am strong.  I am able to take care of things by myself.  And excuse me for tooting my own horn, but I think I make a damn good military wife.

Anyway - this post isn't about that.  It's about my other family.  My military family.  Family I wouldn't have if My Marine hadn't been chosen for service with HMX-1, hadn't moved on to join the National Guard at work at Ft. Belvoir, or hadn't decided we needed a change and accepted a job with the National Guard here in Colorado.

We wouldn't have friends like:

Anna and "Wally" and Ira and Kara -- We met during our HMX days.  Our husbands were nicknamed "The Angry Crew" and lived up to it.  We wives bonded and laughed over their antics, and bitched together when a 3-day trip turned into 3 months.



Us with Kara & Ira


"The Angry Crew" - Wally, Ira & Marc
 
Or DeAnne and Brandon, Gary, Jaison and Jamaica, Cade and Tracey, Casey and so many others.  All friends from the Marine Corps days.  All separated by miles but brothers (and sisters) forever.

Brandon & Marc during his conference in Texas earlier this year.

And then there's our National Guard family.  These folks opened their arms, hearts, and homes to me when we first moved to Colorado.  I wouldn't have made it through the deployment without them.

Cindy and Mike - Our meeting with Cindy & Mike is nothing short of what I call God's hand.  A random meeting one night led to a family bond and Cindy & Mike now being Godparents to Nudgie.

Charlene and Dave - Charlene is the one person that I set my standards both as a military spouse and an FRG leader.  She is one of the strongest women I know and I am so blessed to have both her and Dave in my circle.

Vynnie and Rick, Nancy and Greg, LeAnn and Jason, Leah and Guy - Again, these friends have welcomed me into their established circle of friends when I moved out here.  They are my family and I love them as such.

Christina and Chaplain Dave - Since getting more involved with the FRG, I've been so blessed to have these two widen my circle, adding a layer of faith and praise. 

There are so many, many more.  If I went on, this post would turn in to a book.  But my point is that each one of these special people have impacted our lives -- MY life -- in so many ways. 

So today, not only am I saying THANK YOU to my Marine & Army friends who serve.  I am also saying THANK YOU to my Marine & Army wives who stand behind those who serve.

You all have touched me in more ways than you will ever know and I cherish your friendship.  Love you guys!

1 comments:

MaryAnne November 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM  

I love this post. It takes so many people to make military service work. I hope you have a nice Veteran's Day with your family!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP