January No/Low Spend & Decluttering Challenge

>> Monday, December 31, 2012



Ever since My Marine left, my life has been out of control.....which is bad, because in MY mind, I should have it all under control....ducks in a row, blah, blah, blah. But what I have found is that I've let things slide.....a lot. My Marine would divorce me if he saw our garage right now (which is why I am NOT posting a picture of it's current condition) and my checkbook hasn't been balanced since September. Plus with the holidays, there was also a lot of extra spending going on.

I need to get back in control.

Over at My 1/2 Dozen Daily, she's starting the New Year with a January No/Low Spend & Decluttering Challenge. PERFECT! Just right up my alley!

The challenge includes setting two goals (one financial and one decluttering) and doing a weekly check-in on those goals. I can certainly do this!

Goal #1 - Financial:
After all the extra spending during the holidays, it's time to start tightening the belt with spending and putting money back into the savings account. I also need to develop a budget and meal plan. I mentioned to a friend that I have 2 freezers full of food that I need to meal plan for....instead of quick, unhealthy meals that are budget-suckers. So:

1. Put extra deployment pay in savings
2. Develop budget
3. Meal plan - using what's here, buying only necessary food items (fresh veggies/fruits/milk)
4. No unnecessary spending unless I can use gift cards


Goal #2 - Decluttering:The garage is a pit right now. The dumping ground for things I don't want to put away. I have a pile of things to take to the kids consignment store and a pile of things to go to Goodwill. I do need to, further, reorganize the Christmas stuff before putting it all away - which may require purchasing some storage bins. So:

1. Clear out the consignment clutter and actually TAKE this stuff to the store!
2. Make a Goodwill run at least twice in January
3. Go through Christmas decorations and donate/throw away what's not needed. Reorganize for storage purposes.


I just have to keep remembering....small bites and baby steps!

4 comments:

~Carla~ December 31, 2012 at 7:41 AM  

Aww that has to be really hard! But like you said, "baby steps!!' Good luck this month & thanks for joining in!! :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty December 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM  

Great plan. Our garage has been in the state of constant disarray since we moved here in 2008 - sad, but true!

Lady In Read December 31, 2012 at 10:19 PM  

:) have to start with my closet first..
love the look of your blog - it is so sweet..
following you now.. came here via Monday Mingle.. do stop by my blog when you can..
Happy new year

Anonymous January 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM  

Jenn...what a great sounding challenge...something all of us need to pay attention to for the new year! Especially now for me with retirement, my hubby and I will have to watch the budget carefully...and my plan was to declutter the house...one drawer, closet and cabinet at a time.:)Of course, I'm 'retired' from my 'day' job...and it will be all about having more time to write picture books and submit them.
Happy New Year to you and your family...I'll go and visit the blog you mention.:)

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP