Christmas for our Soldiers and Families

>> Tuesday, January 1, 2013

As the FRG leader for our unit, I wanted to make sure that our Soldiers got a little piece of home for Christmas.

Starting in September, we had an FRG get-together where we started to make our Christmas trees.  I found these cute little wooden trees at Michael's.  We painted them and decorated them -- one for each Soldier in our unit.


The my girls and I then made little "camo Christmas tree" cards to send with each one too.


I, then, put out a call for schools, groups, etc. to send cards.  One of our spouses had her children's schools participate, as well as Nani's 2nd grade classes (4 of them) and Nudgie's preschool.  Elaine Dumler from I'm Already Home put out a call on her Facebook page and I got over 80 cards from that as well.  One of the moms, put out a call to her friends and church and we ended up with 35 individual boxes for our Soldiers too.  (My favorite was the Santa hats with "WOLFPACK" on them (our unit's name) and the prayer pillows)





For the family members, I made these Christmas ornaments.  I took clear glass balls and layered red, white and blue beads.  I, then, attached a Yellow Ribbon to the top.  (This is one that I kept for myself and hung on our tree)



I did get some pictures sent to me from the guys over there with their trees.  Unfortunately, the box that was sent to My Marine still has not been received.  I'm a little upset because 5 of my Soldiers (including my own!) did not receive a Christmas package.  I'm still holding out hope that it will be delivered....hopefully before they come home!

6 comments:

Sal January 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM  

You're amazing! I'm FRG leader for our unit too. I'm bookmarking this thread to make sure we do something next year.

Sally @ Exploits of a Military Mama

peppylady (Dora) January 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM  

I stop in from Carla blog half dozen daily...I'm to taking part in Carla challenge...We still have our tree up but taken down the other decoration. I'm thinking the next step I'll take down the cards we received.
I recall my son being Little and the holidays add a little bit more spark to it.
Hope you fine a few minute to stop on in at my blog for a cup of coffee.

Natasha January 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM  

Those are awesome! My husband sent us cards early in December. We got them the day after Christmas. You just never know! Thanks for sharing your ideas. I'm in KY and my husband's unit is in FL.

Natalie PlanetSmarty January 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM  

So sad that your husband didn't get your package. Hopefully he will get it very soon!

~Carla~ January 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM  

Hope hubby and the others get their care pkgs soon! Love the ornaments!

MaryAnne January 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM  

I love the things you do to take care of your entire military family.

I really hope your husband and the four other soldiers get their packages soon!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP