DIY Dishwasher Detergent & Rinse

>> Friday, January 3, 2014

This year, one of my goals is to go a little more "green" with my cleaners & detergents. 
I always liked the idea of making my own home products (cleaners, detergent, etc.).  I did make my own detergent one time and really liked it.  So I thought I'd step out and try some different things.  I put a call out on my personal FB page, my blog's FB page, researched websites and stalked Pinterest.  What I found was the following:
 
  1. Vinegar seems to be a very popular & "must-have" item when transitioning to "natural" cleaning.
  2. Essential oils come a close second for "must-have" items.
  3. It's easy to become very overwhelmed with all the suggestions, pros and cons, and recipes.  My head was spinning with information overload!

I got an opportunity to try making my own dishwasher detergent shortly after Christmas when I ran out of the store-bought stuff that I had.....and frankly.....I was just too lazy to get out of my pajamas to go to the store to buy more.

I found one that - miraculously - called for items that I already had on-hand thanks to my attempt at making homemade laundry detergent last Spring.



 
 
I also made up a batch of homemade rinse as well.  (Gotta love vinegar and essential oils!)  I refill the rinse compartment every Sunday.
 

 
I made a small batch at first because I wanted to see how it really worked......and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  It cleaned very well and didn't leave any kind of powdery or greasy residue behind.  Keep in mind, too, that I do rinse my dishes before putting them into the dishwasher -- mostly to get off any stuck or baked on food.
 
Overall, I was very happy with this recipe and already made up a double-batch.  I marked on the calendar what day I made it so I can track how long it lasts me before I have to make another batch.

Do you make your own cleaners?  What have you made that is a tried-and-true recipe?  I invite you to share your recipes or links below!  I'm curious - and anxious to learn - what everyone else is doing!

0 comments:

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP