My Husband, My Hero

>> Friday, June 24, 2011

Originally posted May 2009

************************************

You know, since I've started this blog (all of two weeks now), I've written about my Toy Box Creators and my highlights and shortcomings of being a wife and mom. But today, I think it's high time that you meet my husband. I have written about him - but only as a laugh-track (See "The Meat Man Cometh" post and my post about his snoring!) And before you all really judge him based on those two things, I have to tell you honestly, though -- he ROCKS!


My husband has been in the military for 15 years - 6 years active duty Marine Corps and 9 years Army National Guard. (And just so you know, he will always still be a Marine to me!) I knew what I was getting into when I married him. I knew that our life would not be "typical". I knew that my stress level and worry level would be at a permanent high until the day he retires (if he retires!) Everyone tells me that I'm so strong for being a military wife and they "appreciate the sacrifices I make." But you know, I'm not the only one who makes a sacrifice. My Marine has made plenty of sacrifices over the past 15 years.


When our first daughter was just 4 weeks old, he had to leave her to move cross-country to Colorado to start with a new unit. (We were stationed in Virginia at the time). She was 5 months old before he got to see her again. Then he left again for his first deployment when she was only 8 months old. He returned a month before her 2nd birthday. He missed a lot - first tooth, first steps, first words. He missed her first case of chicken pox, her first petting zoo, and he missed her first birthday.


He's missed vacations, birthdays and more. He's missed our 1st anniversary, our 5th anniversary, and our 10th anniversary. He missed the Steelers in the Superbowl. He's missed many friends' weddings -- including his best friend and my brother's.




In spite of all that, he loves his job. I know that to him, there is nothing more thrilling than soaring through the air in that helicopter and serving his country. He loves being a Blackhawk crewchief, he loves getting his hands dirty turning those wrenches, he loves soaring so high in the sky - legs hanging out of the aircraft. I've had the pleasure of having over 5 helicopter rides on the Blackhawk, and I can honestly say that I can understand the thrill. It's one of the most freeing experiences I've ever had.



If you can't tell, though - I'm very proud of My Marine. He's certainly made a name for himself and takes so much pride in what he does. I'm proud of him for leaving his family behind to serve his country in a far off war. I'm proud of him for taking pride in his job. Others fly safely because of what he does. I'm proud of him for taking his life into his hands every single day and not thinking twice about it. And I'm proud of him for looking oh so very fine in his uniform!! (Mmmm....mmmmm......I love me a man in uniform!!)





Sorry....I had to take a minute to fan myself........

And here are a couple more pictures....






So, the next time you see a man in uniform, please be sure to give your thanks for what he does and the sacrifices he makes. (And if you have a thing for a man in uniform, be sure to wipe the drool off your face first!)

8 comments:

Carrie May 14, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

thanks for the comment! How did you find my blog? Good luck on your travels. And I am so proud of your husband too! Thankful for his faithful service to our Country!

3 Bay B Chicks May 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM  

The love you share with your husband is wonderful. Such a fantastic post. Hard to believe that you have been blogging for only two weeks!

Thanks so much for playing along with We Heart Art. I am happy to say that it really paid off. You are one of our winners. We will be sending you one of the Blush topless undershirts.

Send me an e-mail when you have a chance, so that we can connect re the details: 3bay.b.chicks@gmail.com.

Hooray for you!

-Francesca

Sara May 15, 2009 at 7:11 AM  

What a wonderful post! Personally, I'm so grateful for the sacrifice people like your husband and family have made for our country. My uncle was in the Air Force and served in Desert Storm, and my sister's husband joined the Air Force about a year ago. Your sacrifices allow us to sleep safely and comfortably in our beds at night! So THANK YOU!

Amanda: May 15, 2009 at 8:35 AM  

Awww! What a sweet post to M! I love your hubby and I don't even know him, LOL!!

Have a great weekend, hun!

Sara Elizabeth May 15, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

RIGHT ON!!!
You know I love your husband for what he does for us..
Thanks you, thank you, Thank you a trillion times thanks you to him!!!

Gob Bless Him, you and your whole entire family!!!!

-Sara

Valerie May 15, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

You have a way with words and pictures to be able to share the love in your heart with us. How grateful I am for families like yours, who sacrifice so much for so many. My husband wasn't in the military, but he worked out of state Monday - Friday for 2 full years. It was a challenge with 2 babies at home. I clicked over to you from McKmama's site. I'm glad I did. May God continue to bless you and your family, and others as well .. thru your writings!

Meghan May 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

Um, yea, listen, I just have to say that I didn't read a word of what you wrote (J/K I did...he is an awesome guy).
I just want to say

HUBBA!
HUBBA!

Jadehollow May 21, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

Hi Jennifer ..
Thanks so much for stopping by and for all of the wonderful comments you left. Thank your handsome man in uniform for his continuous service to our country. From one military wife to another.. Thank you for your support of him and pride that you have in him. We understand like no other what that job means to them.. the sacrifices they make and the pride they carry in wearing that uniform.
Good Luck on my giveaway.. I'll be drawing and posting the winner in the morning.
Hugs,
Debbie

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP