Adventures in Mothering

>> Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I've had a horrible day. It was one of those days where I should have called it quits by 9:30am, gone home, crawled into bed and start the day all over again, I would have. Maybe I just wouldn't have gotten up. Honestly, today was nothing short of an adventure in motherhood - and judging from my clothing choice this morning - apparently God has a sense of humor and thought I was in the mood for an adventure too.....


Photobucket



I start at Target to drop off a roll of film from yesterday's trip to the zoo. The photo tech. - who couldn't have been more than 15 yrs. old - tells me that they won't be processing any film for two days because they are upgrading their equipment. Grrrrr......

Then, this morning was supposed to be Nani's first ballet class (and no, it wasn't at the Mommie Dearest School of Dance & Charm). I was incredibly excited - both for her and for me. I would get to see my baby girl in her natural habitat -- a dance studio! We get to the studio and the lady at the desk tells me that the dance studio is on the 2nd floor - and no, they do not have an elevator. So, am I supposed to hump up two flights of stairs with a stroller? What do they do for people in wheelchairs or do they assume that our town doesn't have any handicapped people living in it?

The lady at the desk also tells me that Nani would need appropriate dancewear for the next class. Huh? It's a preschool dance class for 4 yr. olds. I assumed she'd need ballet shoes, but nowhere in the brochure did it say to dress your child appropriately (translation - spend another $50 on leotards, tights, etc.) By this time I was starting a slow burn..... Now I'm torn -- do I take her home, stop on the way, buy all the dance stuff, and start again next week OR let her go and take the chance that she's not the only one with a flighty mom who didn't think to ask if there was a uniform for the dance class.

Dance class had to take a back seat though, because somewhere between our driveway and the dance studio, Nani decided to have her first ever ear infection. She's tilting her head and saying that her ear hurts. Uh oh. She keeps pointing to her right ear saying that "it hurts bad mommy, I need to see the doctor". Now this is a major thing for my daughter to want to skip a dance class in favor of the doctor.

So, we left and I tried calling her doctor - who "can't see her at all today, but we can get you in at 2pm tomorrow." Sorry, not good enough. My baby is in pain and we're taking care of this TODAY! So, as a fall-back, I call her old pediatrician's office who said bring her in at 11am (it's now 10am). So, to kill time (and to take her mind off the pain), I take Nani to Starbucks and get her a frappacino and then head to the library. On the way to the library, I hear this pitiful little cry from the backseat. I turn around and see Nudge with the grossest runny nose I have ever seen. (Now, I can take the vomit and crappy diapers -- but I hate - HATE - the runny nose!) Sigh!

At the doctor's office, I can't find my insurance card. I'm assuming that it's somewhere in the house after the many times Nudge has gotten into my bag and dumped the contents of my wallet everywhere. (I'm still looking for my library card.) I give them My Marine's name - surely they can look the information up this way. No luck. The "system" is telling the nice, young girl behind the desk that My Marine and my family don't exist in the health insurance system. Don't panic....I tell myself. Just call My Marine at work and get him to give you the information off HIS insurance card. Easy - right? WRONG? Seems that SOMEONE doesn't carry his insurance card in his "every day" wallet. It's in the "special" wallet that's sitting on the top of his dresser. If I could have reached through the phone to choke him, I would have. So, now I have to reschedule the appointment, drive back home, find the card, drive back to the doctor's office and hope that the "system" can find us now. Twenty minutes later, I'm told that I don't have a copay and that the doctor will see us soon. Sweet!

After the doctor, I made my rounds of 4 different kid's consignment stores looking for a black leotard, pink tights, and pink ballet shoes. Fortunately, I managed to find all three along with a new Leap Frog toy for Nudge and a Little Mermaid vanity for Nani. (I know, I'm such an enabler.....)

At the car, while loading Nudge in her carseat, Nani decides to "help" mommy and close the tailgate of the Jeep.......on her fingers. After opening the door faster than you can say "S*#T!!!!", I rolled my eyes heavenward and just asked God to help me with my patience for the rest of the day. God must have been taking a coffee break when I uttered that little prayer.......

Back in the car, I had to make a stop for a Freecycle pickup. Not an easy feat today. I drove around for 10 minutes looking for the darn place and once I did find it, the stuff I was supposed to pick up wasn't there and the kid that answered the door had no clue what I was talking about. I was very disappointed because this was a couple bags of clothes for the girls.

On the way to the pharmacy, Nudge's cries are getting more hoarse and more pitiful, Nani keeps rubbing her ear, and I'm wondering why I'm feeling so darn shaky. I look at the clock in the Jeep and realize that it's 2pm! I've been gone since 9am and haven't eaten yet - no wonder I can physically feel my blood sugar plummeting!

At 2:10pm, I get a voice mail from My Marine saying, "I hope Nani's ok and by the way - I'm flying late tonight....be home around midnight...."

At 2:15pm, I decided to self-medicate myself with Taco Bell and the biggest Pepsi they had. I had to resist the urge to ask them if they could start offering bucket-sized Pepsi's on their menu. They'd have a customer for life if they did!

Got home, drugged the girls - Nani with her prescriptions and Nudge with Benedryl (per the doctor's instructions), grabbed my own "medicine" and headed down to the couch to put my feet up and watch Wife Swap and Dr. Phil. I wasn't even going to ATTEMPT anything else on my to do list for today.

But you know, it was all wiped away when I went upstairs to check on the girls and caught these priceless moments. (Seems that Nani is already feeling better -- Nudge, not so much...)




Photobucket


Photobucket




And then before bedtime, Nani said to me -- "Mommy don't worry....God will make me & Nudgie all better and He'll make you feel all better too."

Can you hear my heart melting?! I guess today wasn't such a bad adventure after all!

12 comments:

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight July 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM  

Awww! What a sweetie she is! Those are the best moments huh...after a really long day comes a word of encouragement...and sometimes it's through our kids :)

Hope you have a great rest of the week!

Hit 40 July 7, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

I hope your day tomorrow is more relaxed!! Some days are just crazy.

glorious days July 8, 2009 at 4:31 AM  

geez, i am exhausted just reading what you did. !!!! i happens to me when i read your blog:D:D:D and i had no idea what was that i heard: it was your heart. melting. dang! i bet what nani said is worth all the "adventures" you endured.

melaniet42 July 8, 2009 at 6:27 AM  

Oh my, what a day! Here's hoping the rest of your week is considerably less eventful!

Erin @ Closing Time July 8, 2009 at 7:23 AM  

Oh...days like that are so hard! I hope your girls feel better soon!

The Four Week Vegan July 8, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

I was exhausted halfway through your post - I so remember those days of little ones - it's all worth it. So glad Nani was feeling better.

Andrea July 8, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

My all time favorite movie quote is from Evan Almighty... (It rings sooo true)
"Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"

I'm always careful to pray for patience!!! :) Love your blog, glad to know I'm not the only one that likes to curl up with taco bell (and Mt.Dew) on those "never ending" days.

Jillian July 8, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

Thanks for hoping on over to my page!! I love new followers!! Feel free to follow me!!

Helene July 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM  

Oh my goodness, that definitely was a bad day!! I totally laughed at your comment about God taking a coffee break right when you're asking for patience. Sometimes I'm like, "HELLO.....DID YOU HEAR ME???". God should know that mothers like us need instant gratification, esp on days like this.

You know, it's funny that we can have days like this with our kids and then we catch them in a sweet moment and it seems to make all the negativity from earlier disappear. Sometimes I'll go in and look at my kids sleeping and think "how could I have gotten so mad at them...they're just babies".

My daughter would totally love that little set-up Nani has in her room. I have to make sure she doesn't see the pic over my shoulder or we'll be out tomorrow in search of a Little Mermaid vanity!

BTW, as if this comment isn't long enough, I did manage to find leotard, tights and ballet shoes for cheap at Target!! Look in the girls section (not the toddler section) and you should see it there.

Brigetta Schwaiger July 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

I love that she "got" that it was just a hard day. Gotta love new mercies every day. Thanks for coming by.

Erica Walters July 9, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

I hope that your kids are feeling better! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks Pepsi at Taco Bell is one of the best things on Earth! BTW, thanks for the comments on my blog. I always love new readers!:)

Katie July 10, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

Oh MAN we have all been there! I hope those fingers are better now!

Thinking I need some Taco Bell for lunch after reading this!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP