Little Picasso

>> Thursday, July 9, 2009

I've been laying pretty low since my girls have gotten sick. I had hoped to do a number of activities this week, but it was all I could do to get dressed and get to doctor's appointments. On Wednesday, I had Nudge at the doctor. (It's starting already -- what one sister does, the other has to do too.) Turns out that Nudge has some pretty serious grass allergies - so much so that it's starting to affect her skin. Poor thing's little tush and thighs are just covered in the most painful-looking rash. So, I made another trip to the pharmacy.... The kind pharmacist - recognizing that this is my 4th trip in two days - had slipped a frequent prescription card into my bag. This lovely piece of plastic gives me additional discounts on my prescriptions and other merchandise in the store, as well as a reward program.

Anyway -- we've been laying low, sticking close to home. I've probably slept a total of 6 hours over the past two nights. I've been up with Nadija a lot during the night -- mostly just keeping an ear out for her raspy breathing. During those late night/early morning hours, I've gone through Season 2 of 30 Rock and Season 4 of The Closer on DVD, a case of Pepsi, and I don't know how many pots of coffee. I also got over 100 items listed in my eBay store (Hey, I've got to pay for these prescriptions somehow!) I suppose I should have been more productive -- like folding laundry. Come naptime during the day, I'm too exhausted to even think about vacuuming or folding laundry. My house right now looks like our governor should declare it as a disaster area. (Hmmm....can I qualify for federal funding?)

Today was the first day that Nani was actually feeling up to doing something. So I thought we'd spend some time out in the backyard painting. I hoped that the fresh air would do the girls some good. What I got was some good mountain air and an art lesson in simplicity.

As the control freak that I am, it was hard for me not to control what Nani was doing with the paint. I caught myself a few times wanting to say to her, "Don't you want to use that color" or "That's not what color elephants are." Finally, I had to silently tell myself to stop -- you're squashing her creativity. I just let it go and just waited to see what my little Picasso would create.



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

>
I asked her to paint some of the animals that we saw at the zoo the other day. Anyone want to take a guess at what she painted? To give you a little help - the top photo has 4 animals..... (I'll share the correct animals in my next blog!)



Photobucket

Photobucket



Then Nani moved on to paint a thunderstorm


Photobucket



And the grand finale was a painting of her family (Notice the tiny little pigtail she painted on the top of Nudge's head? I also bet My Marine will be surprised to know he has purple hair too!)


Photobucket



And yes -- mommy did get into the fun too!


Photobucket



It's amazing how much you forget when you grow up and become an adult. It was nice to just let go....and not paint within the lines.... I don't know about you, but I think everyone should paint or color or play with playdough every once in awhile.

Even if you don't have kids, it's never too late to be one yourself!

8 comments:

melaniet42 July 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

What adorable artwork - I love it! And I would guess that she definitely saw a giraffe and a snake at the zoo!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog July 9, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

Glad to see the girls are feeling a little better and that you got to do some fun artwork. She did such a lovely job! I completely agree with you about everyone picking up a paintbrush or crayons or playdough once in awhile. It's so much fun for kids and adults!!

Jenny July 9, 2009 at 10:48 PM  

A girl after my own heart!

Katie July 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

LOL I have the hardest time letting ER just go and paint to her hearts content sometimes too. All the freedom from doing things "right".

The Four Week Vegan July 10, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

Love that you put the paper on the fence - what a brilliant idea. My guess on the 4 animal picture is giraffe, snack, elephant, and lion. How close was I?

Nicole July 10, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

I love this idea! I have been meaning to do this with my girls. Looks like so much fun! You have such fun ideas on here. Thank you for sharing. I love it!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP