37 Days of Kindness

>> Wednesday, November 18, 2009

To be honest, I wasn't sure what I was going to write about today. I had a couple of ideas, but as I was sipping my morning coffee, browsing through my blog reader, I came upon this post by Lysa TerKeurst.

I came to Lysa's blog through the Proverbs 31 Ministries. I get a daily devotion emailed to me every morning. I love reading them. I may not have a lot of time to devote to prayer and meditation, but I can take 15 minutes to read the devotion and reflect on it's message for the day.

Anyway - Lysa's post today talks about how sometimes every day life gets in the way of focusing on what really matters. We may be cranky, lose our tempers, have a pity party for ourselves. And believe me, I've been feeling that a lot these past few weeks.

These past 6 weeks without My Marine have been unusually hard. I've been sick multiple times, the girls have been sick, Nudgie is going through her clingy phase, I've had family visit -- and have clashed with said family many times, I'm dealing with financial stresses & worries. I didn't want to do anything. It was a major feat for me to get up and shower in the morning. I didn't want to go anywhere, I didn't want to play with the kids. I just wanted to sit and feel sorry for myself. I was seriously on the verge of going through one of my "blue moods".

When I read Lysa's post this morning, I realized that over the past few days I may have been short with a lot of people and may have unintentionally hurt some feelings. Lysa is challenging us to turn that around.

There are 37 days left until Christmas -- the best birthday of all -- the birth of our Savior. What better gift to give our Lord than the gift of touching someone with Jesus' love?



1 Corinthians 15: 58
"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."



For the next 37 days, in the midst of your own worries & stresses, take a moment to touch someone with a kind word, a thought, a prayer, some of your time, or a small gift. Next time you feel like being impatient with the checkout person, stop and remember to say Thank You or Have a Nice Day and mean it. When you see another mom struggling with her child, give a small smile and a "I understand!" It might mean the world to her. Not only might you brighten someone's day, but it might make you feel pretty good too!

I went to Lysa's blog and signed up for the challenge. How about you? Anyone else want to do this with me? Hop on over to Lysa's blog . and leave a comment to join the challenge too!

Together we can bring God's love into someone else's life!

7 comments:

Carly November 18, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

What a great Reminder of how we all should be acting. Thank you!

miranda November 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing it.
I hope you get to feeling more energetic. My 18 month old just came out a of a really clingy phase, hope that will end for you. I thought she would never go to nursery in for life!! I can't imagine going through it and being a temporary single parent.

Mrs Montoya November 18, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

We all have those moments - those days - those weeks and I think it's OK. We survive and we always carry our kids throught it without a scratch. I am so happy for your family that your Marine will be home for the holidays. That is such a blessing. I'm heading over to Lysa's blog now. Thanks for the link.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog November 19, 2009 at 9:54 PM  

How inspirational! We try to set aside time each day to express gratitude for something special. There is so much power in gratitude and kindness.

Helene November 20, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

What a wonderful reminder of how our kindness and thoughtfulness can affect others!!

Susan November 21, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

Kindness and thoughtfulness go a long way.

Have a good weekend!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP