Here's Your Cake, Bubbe!

>> Saturday, April 17, 2010

(Before I post this, I need to make a small announcement to my dad who I know is reading this -- "Daddy - do NOT share this post with mom. This is being shipped to her for her birthday. Don't ruin the surprise!)

Ok, so you probably gathered that my mom's birthday is this week.  Everytime she talks to Nani on the phone she says, "Are you going to make me a cake?  or "Where's my cake?"  or "Send me a cake"  Realistically, she's not getting cake.  Can you imagine me shipping a cake to Pittsburgh?  NOT - HAPPENING!

However, I got this brilliant brainstorm to make a fake cake for mom's birthday -- with Nani's help, of course.

Now I have to admit that I'm dangerous when I come up with ideas like this.  Ideas like this are all in my mind.  And in my mind, these ideas are perfect.  But in real life, it's lopsided, covered in glue, dog fur, and is usually incredibly expensive, once you add up all the supplies.  This particular project was no different.

I surveyed my supplies on hand and saw that the only supply I had on hand was an empty Kleenex box.  I quickly decided that a trip to Hobby Lobby was needed.  (Oh darn!  Twist my arm to visit one of my most favorite-est craft store on the planet!)  Fortunately, the things I needed were either on sale or on major clearance.  (Plus their Easter clearance stuff was 90% -- BO-NUS!!)

Ok, I digress......So, for my felt cake:

I took an empty Kleenex box and stuffed it with newspaper to give it more bulk to work with.  Also, this morning I received my new business cards in the mail, so I was able to use the smaller shipping box (also stuffed with newspaper) for the 2nd layer.  My original intention was to use a toilet paper roll for the candle, but later changed my mind and used a brand new piece of chalk.



I covered the boxes with brown felt for a chocolate cake.


Then put white "icing" on top.


For decorations, I used rick-rack with brown and pink polka dots and then cut out hot pink felt circles of different sizes and glued them all over.



Then I added the candle.  (I admit that I need to do a little more work on making candles.)


And viola - the finished product.


Now to figure out how to ship this thing to Pittsburgh!

5 comments:

Judy April 17, 2010 at 6:30 AM  

That turned out so cute! Your mom is going to love it!
That would be perfect for young kids to play with too!

One Photo April 17, 2010 at 7:32 AM  

Oh how cute - none of the calories and guilt, lovely to look at and it can be kept forever. Your Mom is going to love it!

Stephanie April 17, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

Oh how sweet! She is going to love this! Fab suprise.

Sara April 17, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

So cute! Very crafty! I'm sure she'll love it.

Julie April 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM  

very cute and cool! I know your mom will LOVE it!! Toss in LOTS of bubble wrap or newspaper, put a HUGE "THIS SIDE UP" and maybe even another HUGE "FRAGILE" sticker on there, then cross your fingers!!!

I'm now following you from MBC!!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP