Momnesia: Week 4 - Selective Memory

>> Thursday, April 29, 2010


Momnesia:  Week 4 - Selective Memory


Let's face it moms....our brain cells started dying a slow death the minute we found out we were pregnant.

Our brains are funny things.  It randomly plays tricks on us.  It gives us a good run for a while, making us feel comfortable thinking that we've got it....we're back in control...and then WHAM!  You wake up one morning and find that after you showered you tried to put your underwear on backwards and couldn't find your foundation - even though it was staring you right in the face.

Why is it that we can't remember our phone number, to let the dog back in the house, or to cancel the week's milk order so that you now have enough milk in your fridge for a small nation. (Just happened to me about 2 weeks ago!)  But random memories will pop into your head at any given moment and make you think what the hell was my coffee spiked with?  What's even more crazy is that these random thoughts will be back as far as your childhood!

For example:
(And again, I will neither confirm nor deny that any of these happened to me!)

You can't find the tickets that you JUST PRINTED out to take your daughter to see her beloved Mary Poppins, but you can remember the date of the first concert you went to with your husband (May 15, 1988) and who you saw (AC/DC).  You even remember what you wore (Acid-wash jeans with zippers on the ankles, black tshirt, big hair)

You can't remember the last time you had your hair cut, but you can remember how to make "big hair" or "blonde" hair using a whole bottle of Sun-In that afternoon you went to the wave pool.

You can't remember if the clothes pile in the laundry basket is clean or dirty, but you can remember how to "bleach" your jeans or "rip" them to make them look cool.  (They call that the "distressed look" nowadays)

You can't remember your OB/GYN's name, but you remember the name of the guy you danced with at the 6th grade dance just because your friends told him you thought he was cute.  (Wayne)

You can't remember to get the oil changed in the car, but you know all the lyrics to every Van Halen/Def Leppard/Bon Jovi song thanks to all those songs you recorded off the radio and on to cassette tapes.  (Oooohhhh, we're halfway the-ere....Whoo-oah...livin' on a prayer......)

It's inevitable.  Those thoughts sneak in when you're not expecting it.  During diaper changes, bath time, while you're driving to the grocery store.  Your brain wants to keep you on your toes.  Constantly on alert. 

What things have you forgotten and what random memories have showed up in your slide show of life?

9 comments:

Truthful Mommy April 29, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

LOL! This is so true that it is frightening. I think it is our minds way of reminding us..Hang in there girl, you were sane and relatively normal before..you will be again...someday:) Thanks for making me smile!

Anonymous April 30, 2010 at 2:59 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
One Photo April 30, 2010 at 6:15 AM  

Well you know how momnesia has struck me again and again, resulting in my losing my bank card, DL and camcorder recently just for starters. You are so right also, I keep having totally random thoughts about things, people, events from long long ago, back to childhood. They just pop into my head out of nowhere, and I have not thought of them in decades! I thought that was just me! I didn't realize it was a side effect of momnesia - now I know!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads April 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

lol! Great post. Monster Ballads - yep, remember those. ;)

Stopping by to say hi from a fellow military wife (and following from follow friday).

Unknown April 30, 2010 at 3:30 PM  

Hi, thanks for stoppiong by today, no neither one of my kids look like me :( I wish they did!

Gen April 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM  

hahaha, yup. happens to me....and that particular bon jovi song is my oldest daughters favorite song! lol...

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy May 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

I LOVE the name of your blog!! And I completely relate to what you wrote here!! Stopping by from New Friend Friday. Have a happy weekend!

Alison
http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

sweepstakesjeanie@yahoo.com May 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

Following you from friday follow.

http://www.mommyblessingsinsmallbundles.com/

Jeanette Huston

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP