Getting To Know Me - #2

>> Friday, June 11, 2010


Here's the 2nd installment of Getting To Know Me!

*****************************************

Katia over at Kashmir Shangri La asked "What is the best and worst part of being married to someone who is a soldier?

Well, the worst part is the separation and the screwy schedule.  Not to mention the worry that comes when he's on a mission or deployed.  Having to cancel plans because a mission came up.  Or having to raise my daughters as a single parent.  Or knowing My Marine is missing many milestones because of his commitment.

The best part?  I could make a list that goes on and on.  But to name a few:  1)  The friends we've made.  They are closer to me than my own family at times.  Mostly because they are here and my family is 2500 miles away.  I know I can any of my fellow military spouses - day or night - and know they are there for me.  2)  The values that the military instills in us as a family.  Because of the military, we have to live a certain way and honor a certain code...mostly because that's the lifestyle My Marine has to maintain as well.  3)  The opportunities/benefits.  I know that my husband's job is seure.  Our benefits are great -- discounts, perks, being able to stay at the bases instead of expensive hotel rooms, fantastic cinammon lattes on the Air Force bases, shopping at the Commissary.  And finally 4)  The uniforms.  Can you say Marine Corps dress blues???  YUM-MY!

*****************************************

Heather over at This Is A Story Of A Girl asked "Where in Japan did you live?" and Martha over at Reviews By Martha's Bookshelf asked "Did you learn to speak Japanese?"

Actually, we've never lived in Japan, so no I never learned to speak Japanese.  (Although I wish we had the opportunity had we stayed in the Marine Corps!)  What I meant by my bio in my sidebar is that because of the military, we have friends all over the world - including Japan.  We can pretty much travel anywhere and know that we know someone somewhere.

*****************************************

JTR asked "How often do you read other blogs (hours per week maybe)?"

I try to visit every one who comments and visits me.  I do most of my blog reading during lunch (about an hour each day) and then in the evenings after the kids are in bed (maybe about an hour or two every other night.)  Fridays I spend a little more time reading because I participate in a lot of blog hops.  I wish I could read every single blog, but I can't.  So I came up with a way to read -- I try to read every 5th blog.  So far, so good.

*****************************************

Jane over at Aging Mommy asked "What plans do you have for your blog in year 2? Do you expect to make changes and if so what and why??"

I don't have plans to make any major changes.  But I do have plans to maybe share some of my favorite recipes and add a feature to my blog called "Blogging Buddies".  I plan on interviewing some of my favorite blog writers and followers and then featuring them.  I intended to debut this during my Blog Birthday Month, but time got away from me.  I do have my first interview lined up, so I'm hoping to launch this in July.  Other than that, I kind of evolve as I see things and learn things along the way.  So unless anyone has any suggestions, The Toy Box Years pretty much stays as is!

*****************************************

Annette over at Live, Learn Love asked "What is your favorite date night?"

There are two things that hubby and I love - music and movies.  If we can get our favorite sitter for the night, then we'll usually go to dinner and then hit the bar to listen to our favorite band, Five13.  They are a phenomenal rock cover band that does everything from 80's rock to today's top 40.  It's, honestly, like going to a rock concert, but with cheaper beer!

Our 2nd favorite thing is going to see movies.  We'll hit our local Movie Tavern and have dinner and drinks while seeing (hopefully) a great movie!

If neither of those are possible, then we'll make some munchies at home and have a movie night snuggling on the couch.  (That's my favorite behind seeing Five13!)

*****************************************

See you next week for more questions and answers!

15 comments:

Christy Killoran June 11, 2010 at 5:07 AM  

Thanks for sharing. I love "getting to know me" posts. I should do one soon.

Annette W. June 11, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

Awesome! I'd be embarrassed if I had to answer how much time I spend reading blogs! Great date night!

Coffee Slut June 11, 2010 at 7:10 AM  

Love your blog!
Happy Follow Friday!

Adoption of Jane June 11, 2010 at 7:12 AM  

That is so awesome! I love your positives on being a Military Wife. I have never heard the positives ( i only know 1 military wife) that was refreshing. Following you too! Love your blog.

Brooklyn Book Lover June 11, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

I love your blog. I have added my name to your followers list. I want to thank YOU for being supportive of your husband as he keeps our country safe and, I want to thank your HUSBAND for being brave, making sacrifices (being away from you & the kids, among other things) and working hard to keep all of us safe. THANK YOU!

Bring Pretty Back June 11, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

Your blog is fabulous! It was good "getting to know you" this morning! hahahahaah!!! My husband has done the "sock stomp" many a times! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

The Old White Barn June 11, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

Love this idea of getting to know you better!

Stopping by from Follow Friday Over 40 - so glad I found you! I'm now following........
Susan

C in Jammies June 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

thanks for visiting my blog. great to know that things are the same (military) anywhere in the world. i agree that your friends in the military get to be closer to you because they know the highs and lows of being in the military. hope you and your family continue to be safe always!

have a great weekend! :)

This Mom June 11, 2010 at 10:18 AM  

Hi there!
I'm your newest follower thanks to Blog Hop Friday!
Great idea to do a "getting to know you" post when visitors are hopping around! I feel like I know you better already.
Kate @ This Mom Loves

Rose June 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

not everyone would like to be involved in the military, but it sounds like it has become a life that you have accepted and know. saw your blog name from Follow Friday 40 and over. have a good weekend. rose

One Photo June 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

I found it interesting reading about your views on the best and worst of being a military wife and admire your as ever present honesty about it.

Love the idea for your new blogging buddies piece, look forward to seeing the interviews and features.

Have a wonderful weekend, hope you have something nice planned

Lindsay June 11, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment. Being a miitary spouse can be so hard at times but its so worth it in the end. Has your hubby ever deployed?

Your blog is so cute!! I loved all the questions and answers and enjoyed getting to learn more about you!
Hope you have a great weekend!
xoxo,
Lindsay

Unknown June 11, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

Thank you so much for the sacrifices you and your Marine are making for our country. You just can't be thanked enough. My he stay safe and well throughout his service. And may you have the strength and support you need to see you through the tough times.
Thanks for visiting my blog...just wanted to visit back. My toy box days are gone...Kids are 3, 37, and 38!

lori June 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

thanks for stopping by my colorado blog (I live in the mountains but am coming to denver tomorrow -- yeah!. I am following now. Stop back by for more colorado adventures and I will do the same. btw, is that holly hobby in your header?

Helene June 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

When I saw the Japan question, I was all confused!!!! LOL!!!

Your date nights sound like so much fun!!! Tim and I really need to do something like this soon!

I love these question/answer posts!!! It's been fun learning more about you!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP