On To Kindergarten!

>> Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I should forewarn you a bit -- I have always been an emotional ball of tissues. I cry at the drop of a hat. I cry at Hallmark commercials, movies, save the animals ads, or even at just the beauty of God's world around us. But last Thursday I was tested emotionally.


Yesterday was Nani's last day of preschool -- ever.



To her it was just another day at school. To me it was the end of an era. The end of my baby being a "preschooler". It was hard for me not to cry as I dropped her off for the last time that morning. Or as I watched her hang up her bag in her little cubby. Or wash her hands and get into the circle. It was hard for me to look her teachers in the eye without bursting into tears.  I did really well until I picked up some papers in her cubby and saw that they gave us her little name tag.  I fought back the crocodile tears.

It was hard to come back and pick her up for the last time. To hug her teachers and thank them for all they have done for my baby girl.  Again, I did really good until her teacher handed me her little bee with her name on it.  Her class name was the Believing Bees and they had name tags on each of their cubbys. 

At the picnic after school, I watched her play with her classmates and wondered (and prayed) that we could continue these friendships even though all will be moving on to different schools.







In the two years since Nani started at this preschool, I have seen her grow and blossom in ways that I never could have imagined. She entered Mt. Olive just out of toddlerhood and shortly after the birth of her baby sister. This was one thing that was solely hers. One thing she didn't have to share with her sister. Last night at graduation, she left Mt. Olive a beautiful little girl on the verge of so many opportunities.










In August she starts kindergarten. She'll only be going a half day, so I will still have my time with her in the afternoons. And believe me, that is time I will truly cherish and hold on to.

On the bright side, she will still continue to go to Mt. Olive for Vacation Bible School and other summer activities. When Nudgie turns 3, we'll sign her up for Mt. Olive as well.




I wouldn't think of sending her anywhere else.

15 comments:

Pebz ★ June 1, 2010 at 5:49 AM  

awww! We went through this last year, & now my baby girl is a week shy of graduating kindergarten. She had 1/2 a day too & it was an easy transition - now this fall comes the ALL day 1st grade & I am so emotional just thinking about it! I'll cry with you lol!

Carly June 1, 2010 at 6:58 AM  

I just posted about this very same issue. Even now when I read my post I cry again. Its so hard to watch your Children grow up before your eyes:)

Shell June 1, 2010 at 7:25 AM  

I posted about this yesterday, too! It's that time of year, I guess.

My oldest will be in full-day kindergarten next year. I can't believe it.

Social Media Junkie June 1, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

Hey There Jennifer,
Thanks for linking up with us for FMBT.
I am now following you back. Have a great week!
Staycee ( Survey Junkie )

Helene June 1, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

We did the preschool graduation last year with Cole and Bella and I was very emotional too!! I handled their kindergarten promotion last week much better for some reason!

Look at how grown up she looks!! You know, it's sad to see this phase go by but you'll enjoy the kindergarten years even more!

Anonymous June 1, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

AWWW! So bittersweet, I know! Your girls are so precious!

Stopping by to return your follow & thank you for joining up with FMBT. So anxious to keep up with your blog..as I too, am living in the toy box years! ;)

Julia June 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Aw, how sweet! Congrats to her!

♥Yaya's Mommy ♥ June 1, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

Ahhh makes me sad. My lil' princess has her preschool grad in a few weeks too. Enjoy your summer.
I am a new follower from Follow Me Back Tuesday. Have a great day and thank you so much for linking up.
Best wishes,
Cindi
http://littleyayasandblessed.blogspot.com/

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea June 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

Your post was so nicely put. I think you pretty much summed up the feelings of Mamas (and Dads) everywhere. My daughter is finishing her kindergarten year in just a few short weeks. Time flies and when they are off to school it only puts it into more perspective. Now I'm dreading the start of 1st grade. But, at least we have the Summer and time to grab a box (or case) of tissues for the Fall.
http://barefootbysea.blogspot.com

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments June 1, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

Aw! Congratulations to your little graduate! And to many amazing days ahead for you all!

Blessings & Aloha!
(stopping by for a quick hello, my friend! I know that I have said this before...please excuse my whining, but working outside the home is cutting into my fun, bloggin, crafting, everything time :o)

trying to keep up with the great bloggers out there! ...I will be back!

One Photo June 1, 2010 at 6:21 PM  

Hi Jennifer, as you know I got upset when my daughter finished her first year of preschool last week, so I just know I will be a blubbering mess when she graduates preschool.

Lovely post today, full of emotion and love for your little girl. No wonder she makes you so proud and the pictures are lovely. Glad you had a wonderful, if sad, last day.

Unknown June 1, 2010 at 7:28 PM  

What a big girl!

I'm a new follower. I hope you'll come check me out at PS Mom Reviews and follow me too!

kailani June 2, 2010 at 2:46 AM  

What a sad but proud moment for you. Your baby is growing up! It's so cute that your preschool has a graduation ceremony!

Katie June 3, 2010 at 8:01 AM  

What a difficult day...for mom! Glad you made it through, even though it was bittersweet. I am glad she had such a good experience, teachers, and friends there. It can be so hard to find the right program, this one sounds wonderful!

Natalie PlanetSmarty June 10, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

How exciting and emotional at the same time. Nani is a beautiful girl, and she definitely learned how to fly with dedicated teachers and good friends. I hope she will excel and thrive in school too.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP