In Honor of Memorial Day - My Husband, My Hero

>> Monday, May 31, 2010

I've taken the weekend off to spend time with my girls and husband before he leaves for 2 weeks of training.  I didn't have anything prepared for today, so I wanted to do a repost honoring my favorite soldier -- my husband.

So, this Memorial Day - as you go about your day....
Please take a moment to pray for those servicemen and women
who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country. 
Please pray for those who are currently serving and their families. 
Please pray for those who have come home injured, maimed, or mentally injured. 
We owe them our Freedom.
 
********************************************************************


You know, since I've started this blog (all of two weeks now), I've written about my Toy Box Creators and my highlights and shortcomings of being a wife and mom. But today, I think it's high time that you meet my husband. I have written about him - but only as a laugh-track (See "The Meat Man Cometh" post and my post about his snoring!) And before you all really judge him based on those two things, I have to tell you honestly, though -- he ROCKS!


My husband has been in the military for 15 years - 6 years active duty Marine Corps and 9 years Army National Guard. (And just so you know, he will always still be a Marine to me!) I knew what I was getting into when I married him. I knew that our life would not be "typical". I knew that my stress level and worry level would be at a permanent high until the day he retires (if he retires!) Everyone tells me that I'm so strong for being a military wife and they "appreciate the sacrifices I make." But you know, I'm not the only one who makes a sacrifice. My Marine has made plenty of sacrifices over the past 15 years.


When our first daughter was just 4 weeks old, he had to leave her to move cross-country to Colorado to start with a new unit. (We were stationed in Virginia at the time). She was 5 months old before he got to see her again. Then he left again for his first deployment when she was only 8 months old. He returned a month before her 2nd birthday. He missed a lot - first tooth, first steps, first words. He missed her first case of chicken pox, her first petting zoo, and he missed her first birthday.


He's missed vacations, birthdays and more. He's missed our 1st anniversary, our 5th anniversary, and our 10th anniversary. He missed the Steelers in the Superbowl. He's missed many friends' weddings -- including his best friend and my brother's.




In spite of all that, he loves his job. I know that to him, there is nothing more thrilling than soaring through the air in that helicopter and serving his country. He loves being a Blackhawk crewchief, he loves getting his hands dirty turning those wrenches, he loves soaring so high in the sky - legs hanging out of the aircraft. I've had the pleasure of having over 5 helicopter rides on the Blackhawk, and I can honestly say that I can understand the thrill. It's one of the most freeing experiences I've ever had.



If you can't tell, though - I'm very proud of My Marine. He's certainly made a name for himself and takes so much pride in what he does. I'm proud of him for leaving his family behind to serve his country in a far off war. I'm proud of him for taking pride in his job. Others fly safely because of what he does. I'm proud of him for taking his life into his hands every single day and not thinking twice about it. And I'm proud of him for looking oh so very fine in his uniform!! (Mmmm....mmmmm......I love me a man in uniform!!)





Sorry....I had to take a minute to fan myself........

So as a proud Marine/Army wife, allow me to brag a little more!  Here are a couple more pictures....






So, the next time you see a man in uniform, please be sure to give your thanks for what he does and the sacrifices he makes. (And if you have a thing for a man in uniform, be sure to wipe the drool off your face first!)

8 comments:

Christy Killoran May 31, 2010 at 5:27 AM  

Thank you to your husband, and to all of the soldiers serving our country.

Menopausal New Mom May 31, 2010 at 6:05 AM  

You must be so proud! Give him a big hug from all of us who are so grateful for men like him :)

Julia May 31, 2010 at 6:57 AM  

A big Thank You to your husband for all that he does. Have a great Memorial Day!

Molly May 31, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

You sure are a proud wife! Thanks to Marc (and all who serve our country) for everything they do! Have a great weekend!

Erin @ Closing Time May 31, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

Thank you so much for serving our country! It's not just your husband...it is your whole family making the sacrifice for our freedom. You are appreciated!! Happy Memorial Day! :)

Anonymous May 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

Happy Memorial Day and Thank you!

Haupi
http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

One Photo May 31, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

On this of all days a big thank you to you, your husband, family and all those who serve with him. You have every reason to be so proud of all he does and all you do supporting him. I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day

Lee May 31, 2010 at 2:42 PM  

Beautiful tribute! Thanks for stopping by on Friday!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP