Patriotic Craft Projects

>> Wednesday, June 16, 2010

4th of July is coming up.  And as a military wife, I'm embarassed to say that I don't have much patriotic decor in our home. 

Let's face it - I don't have much of a decor style - period.  I decorate my home to reflect our personalities.  Some day I'll give you a peek into our home...but for now, we have no patriotic decor -- until a few days ago.

I was at Hobby Lobby the other day (go figure!) and they were having a 50% off their wall hangings.  I don't have much wall space left since they are taken up with photos and military decor -- but I digress.  I found this awesome cross with the Soldier's Prayer on it.  As I'm reading it, I feel the crocodile tears welling up and I knew I just had to have it.  (Brace yourselves -- I actually put stuff BACK so that I could buy this!)

When I got home and hung this up, I realized that I needed more.  I scrounged around and racked my brain to see what I could make.  Then I saw them -- the bottles in the recycling bin -- two wine bottles and a Crown Royal bottle.  (Ok, it's been a really tough week with My Marine gone...ha! ha!)

I washed them out and when dry proceeded to craft away.  (All supplies were either dug out of my trash or purchased at the Dollar Tree with the exception of the red, white, and blue acrylic paint which came from JoAnn's)





Recycled Crown Royal bottle, spray painted red.  Patriotic scrapbooking sticker on the front with just a dab of hot glue.  Patriotic foil garland wrapped around the top.  Topped off with red, white, and blue flowers



Recycled wine bottle spray painted red.  Foil stars cut from patriotic garland and Modge-Podged to bottle.  Patriotic scrapbooking sticker stuck on with a dab of hot glue.  Topped off with red, white, and blue flowers.


Nani's creation! 
Recycled wine bottle spray painted red.  Wrapped with patriotic garland and topped off with red, white, and blue flowers.


BEFORE:
Block of wood from hubby's wood stash, sanded, and painted red.  (I only did one coat because I wanted a hint of wood to show through).  Wooden stars painted white.  Smaller wooden stars painted red, white, and blue.  Letter cutouts painted blue.


AFTER:
I had a hell of a time hot glue'ing the stars to the block.  So I took a little leftover patriotic garland and wrapped it around the base of the stars to cover up the big ole' hot glue globs that are holding the stars up.

And there you have it!!

A little patriotism in my living room -- all under $20!!

6 comments:

Brooklyn Book Lover June 16, 2010 at 6:43 AM  

I love all the crafts on your blog. I don't have a crafty bone in my body. Oh, don't get me wrong, I LOVE to make crafts but the results are NOT pretty! You have great ideas and great results. :-)

Natalie PlanetSmarty June 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM  

Very nice - I especially liked Nani's craft :) Maybe we'll do something like this for Independence Day too.

Helene June 16, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

Wow, Jen, you've really outdone yourself with these crafts!!! They're all beautiful, especially the one with all the red and blue stars!!!!

you are one crafty mama!!

Rachel June 18, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

I'm your newest follower from Follow Along Friday! Please come follow me back and check out my first giveaway for a $25 Gift Certificate for Vinyl Wall Decals, it has super low entries so you just might win!

frugalformyfriends.blogspot.com

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous July 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM  

Great ideas for decorating on a dime. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for joining the Patriotic Parade!
have a safe and happy 4th!
Linda

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP