I'm Back And Things I Learned From A Broken Laptop

>> Monday, July 12, 2010

Yippee!!!  I'm back on my very own laptop!! 

We picked it up this weekend and it was all I could do not to skip out of the store!  They really did a major overhaul -- replaced the motherboard, replaced the fans, and replaced the hardware where the power cord connects to the computer.  I hope (for their sake) that I never have to go back again -- except when it's time to buy a new one!

But the time I was away from my computer was not wasted.  Everything I learned over the past two weeks, I learned from my broken laptop.......


Housework gets done a lot faster without the computer break every 30 minutes.
I actually got caught up with all my laundry - sheets, towels, and rags included.  My bedroom is clean and clutter-free and the living room is free from dust bunnies.

Playing real games with my kids is more fun than playing a computer game against myself.
As I was going through my cleaning phase, I dared to enter the small storage space in our family room and discovered that we really have a lot of games for the kids - and we've maybe played 3 of them.  So, out they came!  We rediscovered Chutes and Ladders, Operation, Trouble, among others!

Coloring really is therapeutic.
Coloring really is so much fun and very therapeutic.  There's something so very calming about coloring -- creating a page full of colors where there was once just black and white.  I love the smell of crayons.  (Did you know that Crayola actually has a patent on its crayon smell??)  I loved coloring with my girls so much that I actually went out and bought my own box of crayons!

I can finish a whole cup of coffee without having to reheat it 3 or 4 times
When I had my laptop, I would pour myself that morning cup of coffee and head downstairs for my computer time.  I'd get so caught up that the coffee would grow cold and I'd end up reheating it at least 3-4 times.  (As I sit here typing, I'm on my 2nd reheat and have yet to take a sip.....)

Keeping up with everyone else's minute by minute report of their day on Facebook really isn't all that interesting.
And if I feel that way about everyone else, then I know that someone out there feels the same about me.  When I would get some time on hubby's laptop and I'd check Facebook, I was really surprised at how many people just do nothing but complain.  Oh, don't get me wrong -- I enjoyed the occasional "my kid ate the green crayon thinking it was a green bean" status, but the "oh this day sucks" day after day just wears you down!

My Marine and I can actually carry on a conversation about stuff other than what music we downloaded or what we read on the internet that day
Pre-broken laptop, after the kids were in bed, we'd retreat to our ends of the living room, each of us with a laptop in our laps and get caught up.  We'd chat over downloading pictures, blogging, researching books, downloading music.  Once my laptop went kaput - My Marine was expected to actually sit on the same piece of furniture with me and - GASP - actually talk to me.

I actually can read my devotionals from a -- GASP -- book, rather than little pieces from the internet
I have a stack of devotional books that I've been hoarding.  For what?  I don't know -- the Apocolypse maybe?  But with the speed of the internet and my laptop, I didn't need an actual book.  I could get little snippets of the Bible from Facebook every morning.  Once that was taken away from me, I dug out one of my devotional books and for once, actually had to think and write down my thoughts and answers.  Those 5-minute snippets with God in the morning has now turned into 30 minutes.  First thing before I even turn the TV on to watch the news.  Don't get me wrong -- some days those 5-minute snippets are all I can handle -- but for where I want to be, I need more, and I knew it.

Some of my outstanding craft projects have actually been completed and my craft list hasn't grown at all since I haven't been browsing craft blogs.
This is a big one.  I've completed picture frames, graduation cards for Nani's preschool graduation, birthday invitations, shower invitations, t-shirts, and a booster seat.  (Pictures soon to follow!)  My favorites folder is still at the same number of blog sites since I haven't been able to browse and bookmark any new projects.

I'm overweight and at risk for a number of health issues.
Yeah, I knew this before my laptop died.  But this time I did something about it -- I joined a gym.  I now have a personal trainer named Roy who has been kicking my ass for two weeks now.  I'm taking Zumba classes.  I've discovered a love for boxing.  I'm also down 2.5 pounds!  Not a lot - but it's a start!

I missed blogging and reading about my bloggy friends!
This was the hardest.  I felt so cut off from everyone.  Not knowing how everyone's summer was going or reading about the latest hilarities in your families.  I missed not sharing photos of my girls and some of the things we've been doing over the past few weeks.  I missed WRITING period! 

So, in the end - while I'm back on my laptop, I'm going to try hard not to get back to that place I was before the laptop went on vacation.  To put the computer down and spend time with my family, to color more, to actually talk with my husband and kids.

I think everyone should take a break for awhile.  You might actually surprise yourself!

10 comments:

Karen Mortensen July 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

Good for you. Keep up the great work.

Mozi Esme July 12, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Welcome back! And very well said...

I know how much withdrawal I go through when I have to take a break, but I also usually feel incredibly blessed afterwards, and realize the world does go on without me! :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty July 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

Interesting post! I admit that I am very addicted to blogging and to Internet in general, but every weekend I try to unplug and to spend quality time with my family. I am also searching for that "middle ground", but find it a bit elusive, so to speak :) Good luck keeping your commitment to yourself.

One Photo July 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

Glad you are back! Good for you joining a gym and doing the Zumba classes which I would like to try. I took a break from blogging and my computer over the 4th of July weekend and so enjoyed it and am determined not to spend so much time from now on blogging and reading email etc.

Ash July 12, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

kudos to you for losing a bit of weight - keep it up! i know what you mean by giving yourself a break from the virtual-world even though i can't seem to tear away from the laptop. i browse online when ash is asleep and when i'm at work. my biggest enemy is movies - i can finish one movie straight up with ash playing next to me. oh god! ash is such a good baby!!! oh god! i'm an awful mother!!!

~ash's mum
(i'm your NEW follower :))

Erin July 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

My soldier and I just had the discussion today about how much time I spend online. I'm going to try and cut back but it's so hard! Good job on all you accomplished!

Julia July 13, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

Wow, you really got a lot accomplished! I'm almost tempted to take a break.. hehe

Roan July 17, 2010 at 6:14 AM  

What a super break you had! I am tempted to take one myself!


I keep my laptop, and phone on my kitchen counter, and I do just like you said, take little snippets of computer time all throughout the day. I check fb on my phone a million times a day. Why? Why? In between tasks, there I am looking at something on my computer or phone in the kitchen.....yes I am sure I am wasting a TON OF TIME!

You have inspired me!

I have this HUGE to do list looming over me, and I all I do is complain about it.....(the list is mostly get ready for our upcoming homeschooling year and some major cleaning out projects). I may experiment with NO COMPUTER TIME until I am ready for school. What if it takes me a week? What if it only takes a couple of days because I am not distracted with the internet!!??

Wow, am I brave enough to do this?

Anonymous August 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

I took the whole month of July off... it was great! I put photos up on facebook for family but other than that I didn't do anything else.

Dawn August 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM  

hey girl! I am your newest follower from FF :) Have a great weekend!
http://flipoutmama.blogspot.com/

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP