First Day of Kindergarten

>> Wednesday, August 25, 2010


Today was Nani's first day of Kindergarten! She was so excited and was just bouncing off the walls!


Yesterday we had an orientation/screening meeting with her teacher. Her teacher, Miss Hartline, is very sweet and the classroom is very open and inviting and has wall-to-wall bookshelves which made mommy very, very happy!

My Marine had to miss her first day this morning thanks to a 4:30am mission. So I woke up Nani to get her ready to go! She had her outfit all picked out (one of the ones we got with the gift certificate from Target), complete with pink sparkle sneakers.


After a special "First Day of School" breakfast of smiley face pancakes, we took our traditional first day of school pictures in the front yard by the tree.



Then we put Nudgie in the stroller and headed off to school!



Once we got to school, they had an area set up for each class with the teacher's name. We just waited until they came to get them. So we took some more pictures while waiting!


Then it was time to let her go. I had been giving her hugs and kisses all morning, but I still wanted that last hug and kiss before she went into the classroom....but she didn't give me that chance. The doors opened, the teachers came out and she was off and running without even a glance back. It broke my heart just a little bit, but I knew that this was the best thing for her....no clinging, no last goodbyes, just jumping in feet first!


The staff invited the parents to the library for a little social time. They had us write a letter to our child for their first day of school -- what our hopes and dreams are for them, etc. Then they gave us a little Kindergarten care package which included a cotton ball (to remember her gentle spirit), a Kleenex (to wipe away the tears), and a tea bag (to sit, relax, and reflect).


All too soon it was time to pick her up again. The morning really did fly -- for both of us. When I asked her how her morning was, the first thing she talked about wasn't about reading, coloring, or playing outside.....but about her teacher's outfit.

Nani: "Mommy -- the teacher wore a silky black and white skirt with a black shirt. She also wore black high shoes. But she didn't wear any jewelry. She needed some jewelry mommy!"

(Sigh).......maybe I should have signed her up for Project Runway instead!

But once we got home, she did open up more -- and gave me the special surprise they made in school today -- a tracing of her handprint with a heart sticker in the middle - and a poem based on the book "The Kissing Hand."   And mommy cried -- again.


And we get to do it all again tomorrow!

11 comments:

the mama August 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

And I just cried reading this! haha What an emotional week for us December '04 mamas huh?? :)

Gen August 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

wowsers. first day already huh?

Jodi August 25, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

Aww... sounds like she had a good morning. That sounds like Boomer when he started school. Off and running and no looking back. Had to laugh at her assessment of the teacher. lol

Erin August 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

Oh my gosh! That picture of her sitting on her bed made me remember the excitement stomach thing I used to get the night before the first day of school. Seriously, I think I was more nervous/excited for school every year than I was for Christmas! What a sweet girl, and it sounds like a great first day!

Helene August 25, 2010 at 9:44 PM  

Now I'm all emotional...what a very sweet first day of kindergarten for her!! The care package sounds so thoughtful...I have a feeling this is going to be a wonderful year for both you and Nani!

Aleksandra Nearing August 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

Aww! What a doll! She's a beauty and I'm glad the day went well.

Sara August 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

It sounds like a great day and start to school! That is so neat that they have that parent letter writing station set up. I love that.

Jennifer Haas August 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

How sweet! My little guy started Kidner too, he cried! It was so hard for me to watch him go away on the bus crying.

Do you guys have half day Kinder?

Loved the card. We read the Kissing Hand the night before and we drew hearts on our hands before school.

Come and read about our first day, at www.mudpiesformommy.com

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments August 26, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

AW!!!! What a wonderful recap of Nani's first day of school! It sounds like an amazing day...I love all the special touches...like her cute little outfit and hairdo, the special pancakes, special first day of school pics, the notes from the parents to each of their children :o)
And haha love that the first thing she talked about was her teacher's fashion and style...

I always wished that the classrooms had a one way window, so that the mommies and daddies could look through and watch :o)

Blessings & Aloha!
My current post (cuz I have yet to get my new post up yet!) actually has some kindergarten photos of each of our three :o) I hope you get a chance to take a peek!

Julia August 26, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Sounds like a great day :) She looks so cute!

Natalie PlanetSmarty September 3, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

Catching up with your blog... How exciting to start kindergarten and Nani looks so pretty. I hope she will love school and learning and will enjoy coming back and sharing all her excitement with you.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP