I'm A Compulsive Spender/Debtor

>> Tuesday, October 19, 2010

They say that the road to recovery begins when you take that one step and admit that you have a problem.  So I'm admitting it -- right here in black and white. 

Hello, my name is Jennifer......and I'm a compulsive shopper/debtor.


In some past posts, I have touched on this topic briefly.  But I've never come out and shared my deep issues with anyone -- at all.  As a way of journaling through my issues with compulsive spending and my debt, I've started a new blog - Money Madness and Me.

I have given myself a personal challenge of journaling my issues, feelings, spending, non-spending, etc. over the next 30 days (and beyond).  It is my hope that I can dig down deep and share some very personal issues about my spending and debt.  My issues are going to be an open book for all to read.  It's a way for me to stretch and grow and even accept the criticism that will come with it.

Compulsive spending seems to be a taboo subject.  One that's not viewed as a true addiction.  But let me tell you -- it's real.  It's very real.  My bank statement proves it.  My insomnia proves it.  My migraines and stomach aches prove it.  I'm living proof that it's real.

I hope that you'll come over to my new blog and visit.  And if you have a spending story to share, I hope that you feel safe enough to post your own story and know that you are not alone.

2 comments:

Christy Killoran October 19, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

I feel your pain. I had a serious problem and was sick to death about it until my husband found out. I can't even tell you how much money I spent and the damage I did to our savings accounts. Luckily, my marriage survived but I am so afraid of money now. I struggle every day. It's the weirdest addiction, but so very real. I will be here for you if you need to talk.

Sara October 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

I totally understand, I have been there and spent money I know I should have saved... Although it seems hard, budgeting and digging out is possible!

I have been on a budget for the last year or so, I slip up now and again, but for the most part it keeps me in line and I like the structure of it. I'd be happy to send you my excel sheet if you would like to see.

Also, I took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University at my church - I cannot recommend it enough. If your church, or one near you offers it - do it. It is SO worth the time and really changed my mindset on budgets, etc... He has books available (I'm sure at the library too) if you want to read up on his advice without the class.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP