Tot School (27 months)

>> Monday, October 18, 2010

Tot School
(Nudgie is 27 months old)
 
(To see what others are doing at Tot School, click on the "Tot School" above!)


I'm finding that during the week, we're getting in at least two structured days of Tot School.  On Mondays, My Marine is off, so we spend the day as a family.  Our structured Tot School days are turning out to be Tuesday and Wednesday.  Thursdays we run errands usually.  And on Fridays, Nudgie goes with me to MOPS.  We usually do more on structured days, but other activities are sprinkled in throughout the week.  I wish I could do every day, but it's just not happening right now.

So, this past week we focused on pumpkins and the letter "P".

I created a sensory tub for Nudgie using some silk leaves from the Dollar Tree, different sized pumpkins and acorns and pinecones. 


I was pretty excited about it.  Nudgie - not so much.  She had no desire to put her hands in it at all.  She's at that age where she doesn't like to get her hands dirty.  (Nani was the same way.) 


She finally started picking the leaves out and tried putting them on her face and blow them off.


So, I put the sensory tub away - figuring we'll try again another day. 

For another activity, I pulled out a bunch of flowers and a basket where I put in some floral foam.  Now THIS was a hit.  Nani loved "arranging" her flowers, pulling them out and arranging all over again.  The floral foam wasn't too soft, so she had to use those little finger muscles to try to push them in.


A little later Nudgie brought over her bag of pom-poms and she just played with them, putting them into pumpkin ice cube trays I put out for her.



Right before lunch, we pulled out her Leap Frog Alphabet toy.  She's not as interested in the sounds of the letters as she is with the alphabet song it plays.  She loves playing it over and over singing right along.


For our story time, we read "Five Little Pumpkins".  I found these cute little pumpkins at Michael's and added magnets to them.  As we read the story, Nudgie would put the pumpkins on and then take them away.



And then right before dinner, I walked into the room to find that she pulled out her shapes file folder game and was just quietly playing away!  (Thanks to Confessions of a Homeschooler for this game!)

The next day we focused on pumpkins.

I gave Nudgie 2 foam pumpkins (pack of 20+ on sale at Michael's) and some stickers and she went to town decorating them.


One thing I have discovered over the few weeks of doing Tot School is that Nudgie LOVES the dauber paints.  It's one of her favorite things to do.  So I always try to have some pages for her to paint!  This time she did a pumpkin.


A little later, we did some number sorting with the little glass pumpkins and these awesome pumpkin number pages that I found.  (I thought I saved the website to give credit for these, but I need to dig a little more to find it!) 


We only did numbers 1 and 2 before Nudgie got bored and started dropping the pumpkins into this coffee creamer bottle.  She loved putting them in and then shaking them all out.




****************************************************

Have a great week everyone!

9 comments:

Tracey M. October 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

I haven't been to your blog in a bit and so glad I got back for some good reading! I think it's great how your week pans out. You seem to have a good blend of family time, tot school and even some mom time. Funny that she didn't want to get her hands dirty and dig into the bin. My son is odd in that he hates his hands being dirty too! Most boys I see don't mind that a bit. Such creative activities, ones I might try are the pumpkin decorating and flower arranging. Hope you have a great week.

maryanne @ mama smiles October 19, 2010 at 6:59 AM  

So many fun activities! I need to get my kids some of those dauber paints, I'm sure they'll love them.

jen October 19, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

Mine is a sensory freak! He politely declined the fingerpainting last week....earning a comment from the teacher when I picked him up. *sigh* the first of many I'm sure!!

Excited to follow all your adventures!

The Survival Mama

Mass Hole Mommy October 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

Not to discount all your hard "P" work at all, but damn, that desk/table is amazing. Where did you get it?

Patricia October 21, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

I'm going to try the flowers and the foam. What a good idea!

Elle Belles Bows October 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

Forgot about the flower arranging activity. I have been wanting to do it but keep forgetting! Thanks for reminder. Elle will like it too since it does not involve getting dirty! Kerri

Sara October 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

Jen - I was wondering if you have ever checked out the pink and green mama blog - she has some great project ideas (especially for art) - I've gotten quite a bit of inspiration / ideas from there.

http://pinkandgreenmama.blogspot.com/

Tracey M. November 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

So I did the flower arranging in our Tot School this week! I shared a link to your blog post too. J loved it!!!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP